Chicken Stir Fry with Asparagus and Cashews

In honor of the new movie that my son is dying to see (Kung Fu Panda), we made Asian last night: Chicken Stir Fry with Asparagus and Cashews.

The Asian flavors come from a mix of fish sauce, oyster sauce and basil (and just a teeny bit of oil.) No fishy flavors… I promise. At least I didn’t taste anything fishy. And basil is not only for Italian food. It works in Asian dishes too :)

This is a nice, light stir fry for those who are approaching the frightening scenario of sporting a bathing suit in front of other people. You’ll be glad you didn’t choose to make the fettuccine alfredo instead. If you serve this over a little rice, it’s perfectly filling.

I might suggest that you start this meal with those Edamame Dumplings that I blogged about a while back. Those would be quite the delicious starter for this meal.

The stir-fry… it was a hit. We did sprinkle a bit of soy sauce on top since we like the salty flavor. We gave the kiddo lessons in using chopsticks. He actually got the hang of it for a couple of bites, and then he decided it was too much work and dug in with a fork.

We look forward to seeing Kung Fu Panda… it’s getting good reviews. Please let me know if you’ve seen it and what you thought of it. I do enjoy a good kid’s movie if there’s some ‘over the kid’s head humor’ for adults to enjoy too. My husband was excited about seeing Angelina Jolie in the movie until I informed him that it was only her voice that he would be ‘seeing.’

This recipe can be found HERE.

25 Responses to “Chicken Stir Fry with Asparagus and Cashews”

Manggy — June 7, 2008 @ 10:18 AM

I have to confess I was a little skeptical as the movie is released by the same studio which has released Shrek movies of decreasing quality, but the reviews seem to be good so far, so I’m looking forward to it. It’s Jack Black! How can anyone not like it? Haha. :)
    Yummy light stir-fry! I for one am actually not afraid of fishy flavors, so I’m not skeptical about the dish at all! :)

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide — June 7, 2008 @ 2:49 PM

I love Jack Black! They are showing it on the Imax here…..should be a good time!

Food looks delicious….love cashews…my husband would dig this!

Mike of Mike's Table — June 7, 2008 @ 2:55 PM

That looks like a great stir fry! Lots of great Asian dishes keep popping up in my reader lately and I’m thankful for it–its definitely not my strongest suit. No skeptics here!

Kathy — June 7, 2008 @ 3:07 PM

Kungfu Panda!!! Yeah!! My husband is 25 and he can’t wait to see this movie… I haven’t heard much about it, but I have seen a couple of previews – to see one go here: http://villagecinemas.com.au/Movies/Kung-Fu-Panda.htm
    When we saw the preview at the cinemas the row of teen boys behing us got pretty excited too – I think it will be a good all-round movie :)

marye — June 7, 2008 @ 3:57 PM

I don;t know about the movie but the food looks amazing!

Mary Coleman — June 7, 2008 @ 8:45 PM

Love this one, Lori!! Have a blast at the movie!

HoneyB — June 7, 2008 @ 11:55 PM

Looks delicious Lori! I actually was watching the previews for Kung Fu Panda and was thinking even I would watch it. Well, the kid in me. :-)

dessertobsessed — June 8, 2008 @ 2:52 AM

i love your bowl! so cute!

Patsyk — June 8, 2008 @ 2:54 AM

I’m sure we’ll be seeing the movie soon, as my kids have been dying to see it!

Love the stir-fry… and with the weather and baring arms and legs this is a great light recipe!

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — June 8, 2008 @ 4:45 AM

The stir fry looks beautiful! Cashew Chicken is one of my husban’s faves when we order Chinese, so I bet he’d love this. I love the bowl too!

My daughter saw the movie yesterday with some friends. If a bunch of 14 year olds liked it, it must be good!

VeggieGirl — June 8, 2008 @ 12:35 PM

‘Kung Fu Panda’ looks like such a cute movie – enjoy!! :0)

Mmm, cashews & asparagus?? Great combination!! Yum!!

Kin — June 8, 2008 @ 12:41 PM

Not entirely sure where I can grab some fish sauce, but that stir fry looks amazingly good!

Kung Fu Panda also looks amazing. I’m really excited about the voice cast, and I guess I’m one of those people who enjoyed all three installments of Shrek, for different reasons.

My mom’s a bit pissed off at me at the moment (for college reasons), but I wonder if I can cook something good enough to bribe her to let me go see that.

chriesi — June 8, 2008 @ 12:53 PM

This looks a lot yummy!

Isa — June 8, 2008 @ 4:37 PM

It looks delicious! I’m a huge fan of everything in it! And the best… it’s light! :):)
    Thanks for sharing !

Tanya — June 8, 2008 @ 7:04 PM

This looks delicious. I can’t wait to give it a try. My husband wouldn’t eat it because of the asparagus, but he’s traveling all week so it’s the perfect time to try it out. Thanks for another good one!

Prudy — June 8, 2008 @ 9:08 PM

The stir fry looks grand and I love your bowl and placemat. Our friends saw KFP and even the grown ups like it. I’m sure I’ll be watching it before the week is over.

CookiePie — June 8, 2008 @ 9:46 PM

This looks yummy and so healthy! I love the bowls too.

ali — June 9, 2008 @ 12:10 AM

RecipeGirl, have you ever used Thai basil? I used to buy it all the time at this Asian market near my apartment in Philadelphia, but I have yet to find it here. I think you would like it — it tastes like a cross between tarragon and basil.

This stir fry looks wonderful. I love fish sauce … it smells like dirty socks in the bottle but somehow imparts a wonderful flavor!

White On Rice Couple — June 9, 2008 @ 12:32 AM

We haven’t seen the movie yet, but it look s os funny.
    This dish looks delicious! We’re big fans of fish sauce! and the basil on it is great too! Thanks for clarifying that basil works great with Asian dishes too!

Elle — June 9, 2008 @ 3:42 AM

Can’t wait to see the movie, and this dish would be perfect beforehand. Love fish sauce and though it smells really bad, it adds such a nice flavor that you can’t really place–it’s not fishy, hehe.

Rosie — June 10, 2008 @ 8:23 AM

I also don’t know about the movie but this stir fry looks stunning!!

Rosie x

Kevin — June 11, 2008 @ 1:53 AM

That stir fry looks good. I like the chicken asparagus and cashew combo.

giz — June 11, 2008 @ 3:10 AM

What a fun way to motivate kids to eat. Wouldn’t it be interesting to have a whole section on “how to motivate kids by creating easy themes”

Deborah — June 12, 2008 @ 5:35 PM

This stir fry sounds amazing!!

It’s funny, because my husband really wants to go see that movie. We don’t even have kids yet, but I guess he is a kid at heart!

Amanda — July 14, 2008 @ 11:36 PM

This was amazing! I made it last night for my husband’s boss, with the Edamame Dumplings – and it was all perfect! I used Chinese black rice and the presentation was gorgeous!

The movie was great too! Hope you enjoyed it and thanks for the great dinner!