Slow Cooked Carnitas Tacos

Have a long day coming up? Won’t feel like cooking? This was the perfect recipe for that sort of thing: Slow Cooked Carnitas Tacos (shredded pork tacos.) It doesn’t get any easier than this. And before you turn up your nose at a crockpot recipe, you should know that this comes from a recent issue of Bon Appetit. Yes, it appears that even the folks at BA see the importance of having some simple slow-cooker recipes at hand. That being said, the crockpot in our house only makes an appearance about three times a year (and one of those is just to keep a big pot of chili heated during a football party.) I just haven’t had a whole lot of success in finding slow-cooker recipes that are worth repeating.

Here’s one that’s worth repeating!!

The recipe instructs that the pork sit in its slow-cooking state for 6 hours with only salt, pepper, oregano and onion. After trimming a bit of fat off of the boneless pork ribs that I picked up from Costco, I left them slow cooking all day (10 hours) and the pork turned out perfect… moist and easy-to-shred.

Our family LOOOOOVED these tacos. We put them together with low carb tortillas, green chile salsa, light sour cream, cilantro and red bell pepper. I looked all over the place for avocados but for some reason they were all hard-as-a-rock (not so good for eating.) Next time I would add some velvety slices of fresh (ripe) avocado. We also tried mango salsa, and that was good w/ the pork too. Add some juicy slices of watermelon and you’ve got yourself a nice, summery Mexican meal.

This recipe can be found here: Slow Cooked Carnitas Tacos

32 Responses to “Slow Cooked Carnitas Tacos”

marye — June 12, 2008 @ 4:46 AM

Yummy! That looks so fresh. Love mexican food.

I bought a taco shell shaper thingie today so I can make taco shells easier. :)

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) — June 12, 2008 @ 12:04 PM

I would not mind coming home to a meal like this tonight. I have a hectic afternoon, my son is auditioning for a choir and who knows what time we will be coming home….I’m hungry already.

Manggy — June 12, 2008 @ 12:15 PM

Ooh, yum! Pork + fruit = match made in heaven :) (I’m thinking of the mango salsa :)
    I don’t think a crockpot is a bad piece of equipment, but I have to confess I think it makes even fewer appearances a year at my house!

VeggieGirl — June 12, 2008 @ 12:19 PM

Glad that you and your family enjoyed the meal!! Mexican food is always a winner :0)

Mike of Mike's Table — June 12, 2008 @ 12:22 PM

I love carnitas, although I’ve only had the slightly less healthy confit-style method. lol, I imagine that’ll change the next time I get my cholesterol checked, though.

These look delicious and I love the sound of mango and avocado with this. Now I’m craving Mexican…and its not even 8:30 am.

noble pig — June 12, 2008 @ 2:00 PM

What a great idea! I might have to succomb to the slow-cooker.

Sharon — June 12, 2008 @ 3:11 PM

I have very few slow cooker recipes so I’m glad to have one more to add to the collection. Yet another recipe saved from your site. Thanks!! These look YUMMY.

MyKitchenInHalfCups — June 12, 2008 @ 3:45 PM

I guess the key is to understand what the slow cooker crock pot is good for. Certainly it’s done beautifully with this pork! Great summer meal. Sure can see watermelon would be wonderful with this.

www.adorn-jewelry.blogspot.com — June 12, 2008 @ 4:43 PM

hmm…these give me a good idea for Father’s Day! thanks!
    emily:)

Sophie — June 12, 2008 @ 4:56 PM

I love pork! I’ve noticed it holds flavor better than chicken does. My husband just introduced me to the tastiness of the pork ‘behind’ cut ;) . (I don’t know why they advertise it as butt roast – it sounds so unappealing :P !). I’ve developed a new love for my slow cooker, now that I’m always working, using the slow cooker is a must!

Catherine Wilkinson — June 12, 2008 @ 5:33 PM

That’s EXACTLY what I want for my last meal. Enough said.

Deborah — June 12, 2008 @ 5:52 PM

I’m a crock pot lover, so I definitely don’t turn my nose up! These sound fabulous!

Grace — June 12, 2008 @ 11:10 PM

i likes me some pig. i’ll bet your gorgeous tacos were almost unbearably delicious with that mango salsa…some avocado might’ve sent them over the top! :)

LyB — June 13, 2008 @ 1:20 AM

Ooooh, thank you! I love my slow-cooker, I use it regularly, it’s nice to be done with supper first thing in the morning! This sounds delicious, my kids love tacos, this will definitely make an appearance in my kitchen soon. :)

Lori Lynn — June 13, 2008 @ 1:24 AM

Hard to beat carnitas tacos, yours look muy delicioso. I might add a squeeze of lime and a sliced hot serrano chile too.

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — June 13, 2008 @ 2:17 AM

Gorgeous carnitas! They look muy delicioso! I’ve made carnitas in the slow cooker too. It is the best!

the southern hostess — June 13, 2008 @ 4:11 AM

These sound and look amazing. I love my slow cooker!

Steph — June 13, 2008 @ 4:42 AM

Yum! These are definitely on my to do list! They sound absolutely delicious!

Prudy — June 13, 2008 @ 12:48 PM

Crock pot is ideal in these kinds of situations. How can you go wrong with tacos? What brand of green chile salsa did you use?

Lisa — June 13, 2008 @ 1:31 PM

Great summer meal! They sound delicious! I made crock pot lamb tacos yesterday.

CookiePie — June 13, 2008 @ 3:35 PM

These look so fresh and delicious! Perfect for a hot summer night.

RecipeGirl — June 13, 2008 @ 3:46 PM

Prudy- I was torn on what type of salsa to use since it recommended tomatillo. I didn’t feel like making my own tomatillo salsa so I tried the green stuff. Not my usual salsa, but it was great w/ the pork. Just used the cheapie brand “la victoria.”

Tarah — June 13, 2008 @ 5:22 PM

I think I’ll have to make this for my dad for fathers day! He loves mexican!

farida — June 14, 2008 @ 1:42 AM

Tacos are good:) I don’t make them at home but love eating them in a good Mexican restaurant:) Yours look great!

Emiline — June 14, 2008 @ 2:12 AM

Hey….these look delicious! Did you use flour tortillas or corn? Nevermind – they’re low carb flour. Duh.

My kind of meal!

Kevin — June 14, 2008 @ 9:13 PM

Those carnita tacos look really good!

bobby — June 15, 2008 @ 5:19 PM

yum, these look great. Nice presentation!

PheMom — June 15, 2008 @ 5:32 PM

I love carnitas – seriously, almost as much as I love chocolate!

Pam — June 15, 2008 @ 10:51 PM

This looks so good. I am a huge fan of carnitas.

dobetter — June 16, 2008 @ 4:39 AM

That looks great. I love a meal that the entire family can enjoy!

Elle — June 16, 2008 @ 1:58 PM

Damn! And I gave my slow cooker away. Seemed like a good purchase at the time, but like you, didn’t find many things made in it worth repeating. This could make me change my mind!

Paula — June 23, 2008 @ 10:57 PM

Love anything carnitas. Will have to try the slow cooker method.