Strawberry and White Chocolate Mousse Tart

Strawberries! They’re in season and easy to locate just about everywhere right now… red, ripe, juicy and ready to be used up before they turn to mush. This oh-so-fab dessert is a little fancy, but it was an excellent choice to end our Gourmet Club’s dinner party.

Behold the Strawberry and White Chocolate Mousse Tart!… an older recipe from Bon Appetit.

The crust is a buttery, sugary sort. Rather good, I should add. **WARNING** Don’t remove a tart pan from the oven with one hand while you’re talking on the phone with the other. The crust pops right out the top and splats on the floor. Yes, this really happened… I made my crust twice. And got a nice, crisp burn mark across my wrist from frantically trying to save it. Cook and learn, huh?

The mousse is a light and airy layer of whipped cream mixed with melted white chocolate. An oldie but goodie, this tart takes a day and a half to create- make the crust and filling one day, let it set a good 24 hours, then top with strawberries right before serving.

By the time we cut into this, everyone had consumed quite a bit of wine….thus the blurry picture. (But we think we remember that we liked it.) Just kidding, of course. It was very good. My friends were impressed.

So if you’re looking for a way to use up all those strawberries, or if you need an impressive dessert for an event, this is a good one to try (with both hands.)

And if you have one of those places where you can actually go and pick your own strawberries, you should definitely go that route. It’s quite fun, and you’ll feel that-much-better about your end product. (All that work that you spent slaving away in the fields… and no one had to consume any gas to transport your strawberries!) I say that after spending over $100 on a tank of gas today. Crazy.

This recipe can be found here:  Strawberry and White Chocolate Mousse Tart

38 Responses to “Strawberry and White Chocolate Mousse Tart”

Manggy — June 14, 2008 @ 6:04 AM

Hahaha! Why would the picture be blurry? Did the camera drink wine too? Kidding!! :D

The tart looks both delicious and elegant! I am sorry about your wasted crust (all that buttah!) and your wrist burn :( I hope it doesn’t hurt anymore.

Kate — June 14, 2008 @ 6:06 AM

Ooh, I have memories of losing a crust that way. There were lots of tears. At that particular time, it was a crushing blow to my emotional wellbeing. That is beautiful, I will definitely have to try it.

Jeena — June 14, 2008 @ 9:38 AM

So elegant! This is beautiful! Perfect for a dinner party.

I hope your wrist gets better.

Us women are always trying to do too much at once. I have had many moments in my kitchen too. :-D

Lore — June 14, 2008 @ 11:43 AM

Lovely presentation! Makes me dive into that strawberry sea. Hope your wrist is doing better.

VeggieGirl — June 14, 2008 @ 12:18 PM

Strawberries & white chocolate = such a marvelously delectable combination. YUM!!! Your tart is so beautifully decorated, I can’t stand it!! :0)

CookiePie — June 14, 2008 @ 12:52 PM

This lovely! So elegant!!! Hope the burn doesn’t sting too much (I swear by aloe vera…).

CookiePie — June 14, 2008 @ 12:53 PM

Sorry — meant to say this IS lovely — I shouldn’t try to post anything before I’ve had coffee!

Leslie — June 14, 2008 @ 1:41 PM

Now that look soooo good. I just love strawberries!Sorry about your burn. I seriously either cut or burn my self everytime I am in the kitchen!!!

Cookie baker Lynn — June 14, 2008 @ 1:44 PM

Wow, that is gorgeous! Very impressive party dessert. The fact that it tastes wonderful is just bonus points. I hope your wrist is ok. Aloe is a kitchen friend!

Happy cook — June 14, 2008 @ 1:59 PM

I know the feeling after few glasses , well blurry or not the cake looks delicious.
    I do agree now is the time to have strawberries as they are in full swing.
    Thankyou for visiting my place

noble pig — June 14, 2008 @ 2:43 PM

This is so beautiful…it’s almost health food right! Just gorgeous.

Parker — June 14, 2008 @ 3:25 PM

Very pretty looking tart. Hate to cut into something so nice.

Grace — June 14, 2008 @ 3:31 PM

at least you don’t march around your house wearing one of those hands-free ear clips. i think those’re so pompous, but i digress…
    what a terrific tart! i love, love, love white chocolate and i think strawberry is its perfect fruit-mate. nicely done!

Pamela — June 14, 2008 @ 3:45 PM

Holy Cow! That tart looks FABULOUS! I love your blog. Thanks for the kind comments you left on mine. I really appreciate it! :)

Bellini Valli — June 14, 2008 @ 3:57 PM

Strawberries will be coming soon I hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brilynn — June 14, 2008 @ 5:33 PM

Gorgeous tart! I’ve definitely almost lost an entire tart by picking it up with one hand…

Bridgett — June 14, 2008 @ 5:39 PM

That is a gorgeous tart and is decorated beautifully. I love strawberries! I sure hope your wrist is better. Thanks for visiting my blog and I hope you come back often. I have been enjoying yours as well…everything looks fantastic.

ali — June 14, 2008 @ 6:48 PM

RecipeGirl, I love the new look with the photos! The pics are beautiful, even the blury one … it sets the mood.

And those slow-cooked carnitas tacos look unbelievable. Ben and I have been going to one little taco place near us that has yummy carnitas and it’s served with a green-chili sauce, too. I may just have too break out the slow cooker I got when we got married!

Melanie — June 14, 2008 @ 8:01 PM

Ouch! Hope your wrist is feeling better. And oh my, this dessert looks very gourmet and sure to be a crowd pleaser. Plus, fresh strawberries make anything wonderful!

farida — June 14, 2008 @ 8:46 PM

Hope your wrist gets better. This tart looks so beautiful. Great presentation. Yum yum!

Lori Lynn — June 14, 2008 @ 9:06 PM

Oh, is that ever pretty!
    Sorry to hear about your first crust :(

Proud Italian Cook — June 15, 2008 @ 1:52 AM

Very impressive indeed! What is it about strawberries that makes everything look so elegant? Beautiful presentation! Sorry about your burn mark too. I feel your pain, I’m constantly burning my arms when I take things in and out of the oven.

White On Rice Couple — June 15, 2008 @ 1:59 AM

The mousse alone is amazing. I could eat a bowl of this topped with the strawberries! This is the perfect summer treat.

syrie — June 15, 2008 @ 2:09 AM

Absolutely gorgeous!!!

I love the cream & white chocolate combo. I have no doubt that your friends were impressed!

Pam — June 15, 2008 @ 5:45 AM

Looks beautiful and delicious. Hope your wrist feels better soon.

HoneyB — June 15, 2008 @ 10:51 AM

Strawberry season will be here very soon and I intend to go to a u-pick myself this year! This recipe looks very elegant and I think this is one I will make to impress with all the visiting family members in the next few weeks!

HoneyB — June 15, 2008 @ 10:55 AM

PS – Lori, I thought I had left you a message that I blogged about your Boston Banana Cream pie, but apparently I didn’t! Sorry about that! I have had so much going on here! Anyway, it turned out awesome! Everyone loved it! http://shelbymaelawstories.blogspot.com/2008/06/
    im-bananas-over-boston-cream-pierecipe.html

Lisa — June 15, 2008 @ 4:01 PM

Wow, this is an impressive dessert! Looks like it came right from a gourmet bakery!

Swati: Sugarcraft India — June 15, 2008 @ 6:01 PM

Gosh!! This looks amazingly tempting..Such beautiful presentation and pictures!!

Ann — June 15, 2008 @ 7:07 PM

Out of tragedy comes sweet victory! Your tart is just fabulous-looking!

LyB — June 15, 2008 @ 10:43 PM

That is one gorgeous dessert! There are so many things to do with beautiful, ripe strawberries, I don’t know what to choose! I know what you mean about the burn, my forearms are full of tiny marks from cooking related burns. Well, at least we cook, right? ;)

Erin — June 15, 2008 @ 11:45 PM

I love making tarts; they always seem to turn out nicely. Those pans can be risky, though! The white chocolate mousse filling sounds to die for!

Heather — June 16, 2008 @ 3:01 AM

wow! how delicious!! the strawberries look BEAUTIFUL!

My Sweet & Saucy — June 16, 2008 @ 3:28 AM

I love white chocolate mousse and strawberries…what a wonderful tart!

Rachel — June 16, 2008 @ 5:17 AM

Now this is what I call a delectable dessert!!!

Elle — June 16, 2008 @ 2:00 PM

It’s gorgeous! so sorry about your burn, though!

Chuck — June 17, 2008 @ 3:45 AM

Ooh my! That tart looks absolutely delicious. Fresh strawberries and chocolate mousse …Wow! I think I gained 12 LB just looking at it. Very nice Lori!

Janna — June 23, 2008 @ 7:41 PM