Grilled Vegetable Chili

A hot, steaming bowl of comforting chili isn’t something that usually comes to mind as a summery sort of meal. Grill up a few fresh vegetables though and you will turn this vegetarian chili recipe into one that is warm-weather friendly: Grilled Vegetable Chili.

Grilled veggies are chopped up and added to garlic, jalapeno, black beans, chili powder and tomato paste. The mix is simmered in beer and vegetable broth, until thickened.

We topped ours with melted cheddar, a dollop of sour cream and freshly chopped cilantro. With an added squeeze of lime, this was a wonderful summer chili. We enjoyed ours with tortilla chip dunkers.
This recipe was found in a recent issue of Rachael Ray’s Everyday magazine. The gal talks up a storm, but she does have some good ideas for recipes!

This recipe can be found HERE.

30 Responses to “Grilled Vegetable Chili”

Lina — June 16, 2008 @ 12:19 PM

yay for rachel ray recipes! This looks like a great summer veggie dish!

Prudy — June 16, 2008 @ 12:22 PM

Grilled veggies would surely make anything more delicious. Why not chili? Why didn’t I think of this? I always grill veggies with grand plans for the leftovers, then promptly eat them all in the first round.

Ann — June 16, 2008 @ 12:56 PM

I want a yard and a grill NOW! Looks fabulous!

Sharon — June 16, 2008 @ 2:06 PM

What an amazing idea for chili. I’ve never thought to grill the vegetables, but now I can see that it’s probably delicious!

I agree about Rachael. A little irritating, but great recipes.

Elle — June 16, 2008 @ 2:34 PM

I need to grill some veggies! But then they’re like candy and I want to eat them all as is. I need to show a little restraint and use them in other dishes, hehe. I love this one!

Half Baked — June 16, 2008 @ 2:43 PM

I love how colorful the grilled veggies look! It makes me want to dive right into that chili!!

Manggy — June 16, 2008 @ 2:57 PM

Nice colorful dish! :) Hmm… Rachael Ray talking a lot? Understatement of the century :P

Lisa — June 16, 2008 @ 3:31 PM

Looks delicious! I like the Everyday magazine. Rachael does have great ideas. I don’t mind watching her show either but not everyday!

Erinn — June 16, 2008 @ 6:09 PM

okay, I’ll admit it, I’m not a RR fan, at all, but heck when an idea is good, it’s good! I love grilling veggies and it’s great to see them used in a different way.
    This looks delish!

Parker — June 16, 2008 @ 6:31 PM

What a great idea for a chili, must be flavorful. I’ve done that for spaghetti sauce and it was great. nice pics

Pamela — June 17, 2008 @ 12:58 AM

Great pictures. The veggies looks so tempting, as does the chili.

Josie — June 17, 2008 @ 3:07 AM

Looks great… although I don’t think I would be able to eat anything like chili with this crazy weather. Thankfully we are at the tail end of it- bring back highs in the 70s!! :) I would probably like it at room temperature… ;)

ali — June 17, 2008 @ 5:09 AM

sounds wonderful. I love a beer-based chili. And i love the idea of serving the chili with those scoop chips — those are the best. I’ve never thought to use them beyond salsa.

Emiline — June 17, 2008 @ 6:54 AM

Did you say beer? I must have this!

I like those chips too. Also, the mutigrain Tostitos are good.

Grace — June 17, 2008 @ 8:49 AM

that’s the most colorful chili i’ve ever seen, but my favorite part is the black bits. i love that charred flavor. yes, this is a fantastic chili recipe. i guess i have to admit, however unwillingly, that ol’ rachael does come through sometimes… :)

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — June 17, 2008 @ 12:52 PM

That is the prettiest chili ever! I’ll bet it was delicious too!

LyB — June 17, 2008 @ 1:37 PM

I love grilled vegetables, why have I never thought of this? This is so colorful, it looks delicious!

VeggieGirl — June 17, 2008 @ 2:22 PM

Even if it IS summertime (which is when I prefer to eat more raw, cooling foods than usual), I’d totally go for a bowl of that chili and grilled vegetables right now – yum!

Jessy and her dog Winnie — June 17, 2008 @ 2:48 PM

Yum! Veggie chili sounds really delicious! Anything has got to be better than my moms attempt at chili!

Dhanggit — June 17, 2008 @ 4:12 PM

there is no other best way to serve and to eat vegetables than grilled!! this would be perfect for a summer barbeque party!!!

Sophie — June 17, 2008 @ 5:02 PM

ooh, yes. i do like the summery spin on this. anything with smoky flavor is delicious :D .

glad to hear you are one of the lucky ones! :D i would eat this with a pound of cheese if i could! hehe, oh how i miss the dairy days!

Steph — June 17, 2008 @ 5:35 PM

Those veggies look delish! Grilled veggies are the best! Great recipe!

Annie — June 17, 2008 @ 7:44 PM

The chili looks great! I love that you made it summer friendly…

You can’t go wrong with grilled veggies, they go with everything!

Mark Boxshus "Cookie Doctor" — June 17, 2008 @ 11:27 PM

WOW! This does sound like a great idea. After all, roasted veggies do have a rich, wholesome goodness that is hard to beat. I will definitely have to incorporate this “methodology” into my chili, stew and other veggie prominent dishes.

Kevin — June 18, 2008 @ 12:35 AM

I really like the sound of this grilled vegetable chili!

Bridgett — June 18, 2008 @ 2:02 AM

That looks so fresh! I love the idea of vegetable chili…so summery.

the southern hostess — June 18, 2008 @ 2:20 AM

This looks terrific!

Proud Italian Cook — June 18, 2008 @ 2:55 AM

That really is a new approach to chili! I love the way yours looks, and it sounds like it would taste fantastic!!

Deborah — June 18, 2008 @ 6:13 PM

I have this recipe marked in my magazine – now I really want to make it!

Pam — June 20, 2008 @ 3:25 PM

What a great idea! Looks delicious.