Grilled Watermelon Salad

The summer season demands that you eat watermelon. Nibbling chilly watermelon slices saturated with sweetness seems indulgent as you devour slice after slice on a heat-drenched summer day. Its juicy nature and bright color make it a natural superstar at an outdoor barbecue. But have you ever thrown it on the grill? Watermelon caramelizes ever so slightly when it’s briefly grilled– who knew?

Grilled watermelon is the best discovery since goat cheese. Add those together and you’ve got a salad: Grilled Watermelon Salad.

It makes for a pretty presentation and an impressive salad to serve to guests. The simple combination of watermelon, goat cheese, greens and balsamic just works.

This is my new favorite salad… the hit of the summer (and it’s only just the beginning!) Amaze your friends and family by grilling up some watermelon. It’s easier than you might think.

This recipe can be found here: Grilled Watermelon Salad

52 Responses to “Grilled Watermelon Salad”

Manggy — June 21, 2008 @ 11:50 AM

Great presentation, Lori! :)

Mike of Mike's Table — June 21, 2008 @ 12:22 PM

I’ve heard good things about grilling watermelon, but never tried it. I love what you did with it though–I would have thrown it on the grill, put it on a plate, and said “hmmm, now what?”

Jenny — June 21, 2008 @ 12:28 PM

Cool, I’ve never grilled watermelon, but it sounds like a terrific idea! Have a great weekend!

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — June 21, 2008 @ 1:17 PM

What a great idea! I’ve never had grilled watermelon, but it sounds just delicious. It looks really pretty too. It would go great with my strawberry soup! ;)

Peter M — June 21, 2008 @ 1:50 PM

too have never grilled watermelon either but I just might start to.

The presentation is WOW and Greeks have enjoyed feta and watermelon for ages.

PS. You’re gonna love the grilled halloumi!

Sharon — June 21, 2008 @ 3:01 PM

I’ve never had it grilled, but now I’m intrigued. Great plating,it looks beautiful!

Ari (Baking and Books) — June 21, 2008 @ 3:11 PM

I agree – who knew? What a fantastic summer salad idea!

Lori Lynn — June 21, 2008 @ 3:13 PM

That is so pretty. I love how you place the watermelon in the corners of the plate, very clever!

Perfect post for the Summer Solstice!

P.S. Mitsuwa Marketplace, San Diego store, is right off the 163 freeway, or I-805.

dobetter — June 21, 2008 @ 3:24 PM

Genius! I love the look. This is one to try this summer!

moowiesqrd — June 21, 2008 @ 3:55 PM

Great pictures! With watermelon typically being huge and only two of us to wade our way through it, I’m interested in all ways to prepare it.

Nicole — June 21, 2008 @ 4:21 PM

This is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen! A work of art! I will have to try it.

Here is a question for you… HOW do you pick a GOOD watermelon???? I feel it is so hit and miss for me! Half the time it is not juicy or mushy and pithy.

RecipeGirl — June 21, 2008 @ 4:28 PM

Lori Lynn- wow- thank you!! I had no idea that we had that marketplace in San Diego. I will most definitely be checking that out.

Nicole- thanks! I have no idea how to pick a good watermelon. I believe it’s always hit or miss with me. Sometimes I buy the half watermelons so I can see the inside to see if they’re juicy looking or not.

Brilynn — June 21, 2008 @ 4:55 PM

Oh that looks delicious and I love the presentation!

Melanie — June 21, 2008 @ 5:15 PM

Grilled watermelon is totally new to me…who knew? It looks delicious and the presentation is lovely.

Cakespy — June 21, 2008 @ 6:50 PM

OH my goodness!! When I was just in NYC I went out to dinner with Ann and Co. of Redacted Recipes–and we had a similar salad! It was completely delicious!!!

Lina — June 21, 2008 @ 6:51 PM

beautiful photos! Looks like such a lovely salad to serve at summer BBQs!

Emiline — June 21, 2008 @ 7:49 PM

I love watermelon and feta salad! This one looks delicious. I’ve never tried grilling it before..

Pamela — June 21, 2008 @ 8:06 PM

Great pictures and a tasty looking idea. I don’t even like watermelon and I’m tempted. :)

Proud Italian Cook — June 21, 2008 @ 8:28 PM

Lori, love this! I’m curious to try this, I just so happen to have feta, watermelon, and arugula, I know I’ll love it though! Great for my BBQ tomarrow. p.s. I still can’t get you in my reader, I’m so
    frustrated!! I have no idea what I’m doing wrong!

Kevin — June 21, 2008 @ 8:54 PM

I like the sound of grilling watermelon. I will have to try it.

Laura — June 22, 2008 @ 4:00 AM

Boy this is the It salad of the summer, so many people are loving it, I must give it a try. When I mentioned grilling watermelon to my husband, though, he was not very enthused. I, however, am not a huge fan of plain old watermelon, so I think it sounds like a wonderful idea.

My Sweet & Saucy — June 22, 2008 @ 4:05 AM

Wow I’ve never had a watermelon salad…what a clever idea!

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) — June 22, 2008 @ 7:30 AM

You are just such a genius you know!!!That plating deserves a medal and the food combination is mouthwatering.Well done!

Dita — June 22, 2008 @ 7:30 AM

woowww never thought before, you could grill the watermelon. Such a smart idea :) . And I bet it’s so refreshing!

VeggieGirl — June 22, 2008 @ 12:17 PM

I will gladly obey the law of eating watermelon all summer long; especially in that marvelous grilled salad of yours – yum!

Jill — June 22, 2008 @ 12:47 PM

I love this!!! Beautiful.

Lisa — June 22, 2008 @ 1:10 PM

Awesome idea! I will be making this soon!

noble pig — June 22, 2008 @ 2:01 PM

Interesting. I love watermelon salad but I’ve never grilled it before. I bet it’s delicious. I will definitely try it.

Erinn — June 22, 2008 @ 4:40 PM

I had a very similar combination served as an “amuse bouche” last summer, I was surprised at how delicious it was. Your presentation is fantastic.
    I also had watermelon wrapped in proscuitto and grilled. It too was surprisingly tasty – yet less refined then your recipe, for sure. Great summertime recipe, thanks!

White On Rice Couple — June 22, 2008 @ 4:53 PM

this is wonderful! What a great idea and so perfect for summer! I’m gonna go get a watermelon and try it out. Love goat cheese!

Kristen — June 22, 2008 @ 6:19 PM

That is a gorgeous salad! I love grilled fruit, but have never tried it with watermelon. Mmmmm!

Jeena — June 22, 2008 @ 7:55 PM

Fantastic it looks so elegant!

You are so right about watermelons in summer, I crave watermelon during summer to rehydrate. :-D

Heather — June 23, 2008 @ 2:07 AM

mmm, how beautiful! this sounds delicious!

Simply...Gluten-free — June 23, 2008 @ 3:18 AM

Beautiful, great presentation.

ali — June 23, 2008 @ 5:17 AM

Seriously RecipeGirl, who knew? This looks amazing. I never would have thought to grill watermelon, but I can imagine it being a wonderful preparation. i’m siked to try it. such a cute presentation, too.

the southern hostess — June 23, 2008 @ 6:04 AM

What a fantastic idea! I’ve been eating way too much watermelon recently. This gives me something fun to do with my favorite fruit.

Paula — June 23, 2008 @ 7:16 AM

I’m a first time visitor to your blog and, WOW!, your photos and recipes make a great first impression. Your food presentation looks amazing and I’ve got to try your carnitas recipe.

Grace — June 23, 2008 @ 2:29 PM

for the life of me, i can’t figure out why salt and watermelon taste so darn good together. i tend to really enjoy salt on my melon (oddly enough, just watermelon, not honeydew or cantaloupe or any other), so i’m not extremely surprised that cheese is a nice addition. hooray for new favorites!

Parker — June 23, 2008 @ 2:47 PM

That is very interesting and unique. I have a large watermelon at home and have no idea what to do with it. Maybe I will try this tonight. Thanks, I love new ideas!

Jessy and her dog Winnie — June 23, 2008 @ 3:21 PM

Wow that is such a cool idea!

Daziano — June 23, 2008 @ 6:50 PM

Wow, I’m glad to have found someone who likes watermelon and goat cheese like me!!! And basil is a really good partner for that combination too!

Janna — June 23, 2008 @ 7:39 PM

I WANT SOME RIGHT NOW!
    I’ve never had grilled watermelon, but it sounds spectacular.

Trisha — June 23, 2008 @ 9:25 PM

This is one of my all-time favorite summer salads. It seems like such a “grown-up” treatment of watermelon, but my little girls beg me to make it all season.

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide — June 24, 2008 @ 1:56 AM

GREAT Pictures!

Kristin at The Kitchen Sink — June 24, 2008 @ 8:11 PM

Lori: This looks absolutely delicious (not to mention gorgeous). I’ll definitely be giving it a try.

Elle — June 26, 2008 @ 12:56 AM

Genius! and that second photo is stunning!

twiddles — June 26, 2008 @ 3:21 AM

Wow, would have never thought of grilling watermellon. It’s my favorite fruit! :)

GirlCanBake — June 26, 2008 @ 9:28 PM

That is one good looking salad! I love how you’ve arranged the plate!

Joy the Baker — June 26, 2008 @ 9:33 PM

I love to grill all kinds of fruit in the summer months. So far my favorite are mango and pineapple. I’ll definitely have to give the watermelon a try! Thanks!

adventuresinshaw — June 27, 2008 @ 2:22 AM

If you don’t already know about the website Cook Think’s Root Source Challenge contest, you should definitely head over and enter this great recipe into their Watermelon challenge!

Nate-n-Annie — August 6, 2008 @ 5:07 PM

Wow, nice design.

Do you have to have the grill grates completely clean before you grill the watermelon? I’m afraid about getting burned bits of whatever was grilled last affecting the flavor of the watermelon.

... and then I ate it! — June 9, 2011 @ 12:03 PM

Great presentation!
    Balsamic on watermelon … wonderful pairing!