Strawberry- Oatmeal Banana Bread

Yep… yet another banana bread recipe. Why not? You always have those aging bananas ready to draw fruit flies sitting on your counter, so mix those with some ripe & juicy strawberries to try a new recipe: Strawberry- Oatmeal Banana Bread.

I drew inspiration for this bread from Chuck at CookingBread.com. If you haven’t checked out his droolworthy blog, you’re missing out. The guy knows his bread. Knowing that, I dared to mess with his recipe and create my own.

I haven’t had a whole lot of “luck” with making strawberry breads in the past as I find that strawberries tend to lose a lot of their flavor in the baking process. So for this bread, I purchased some very special French strawberries from my local farmstand (Chino Farms.) I asked the guy what the difference was between the $3 and $5 baskets. He had a difficult time explaining how wonderful the French ($5) ones were, so he popped one in my mouth and let me decide for myself. Oooo la la… the farmer was right. Those French people did something to these strawberries that make them in a class all their own.

A bit more petite, juicier and waaaaaay more flavorful than your average everyday strawberry, they were definitely worth the extra $2. Kind of a splurge, but I was sold when I tasted them. We only got to eat a few, because the rest went into this bread.

The result: A good, moist banana bread with a slight strawberry flavor. I have a feeling though that if you don’t have really juicy, flavorful strawberries, you might not get much flavor in the bread from your berries. You don’t have to use fancy French strawberries, but keep on the lookout to try them sometime. Of course you could always try this with raspberries or blueberries or some other kind of berry that you have access to.

Enjoy with a cuppa coffee.

This recipe can be found here: Strawberry- Oatmeal Banana Bread

25 Responses to “Strawberry- Oatmeal Banana Bread”

giz — June 27, 2008 @ 1:45 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the French strawberries at the market.

Heather — June 27, 2008 @ 1:59 PM

mmmmm. It’s true, you never can have enough banana bread recipes! and this one looks like a keeper :)

Parker — June 27, 2008 @ 2:34 PM

A beautiful summer loaf…very nice. I hear you about those banana breads, I have so many bananas in my freezer, and actually plan on baking up a storm this weekend.

Sharon — June 27, 2008 @ 2:52 PM

I love banana bread and this one sounds great! Your pictures are quite pretty. I never seem to be able to photograph bread quite right.

I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled for these French Strawberries at the market.

Bellini Valli — June 27, 2008 @ 2:55 PM

French strawberries I will only have to imagine. I will try this with our BC strawberries and it will be delish I’m sure!!

Manggy — June 27, 2008 @ 3:58 PM

You’re right about the berries– somehow they turn into watery mush or something :) I’m not sure I will ever see a French strawberry here, but we have our own tiny, sturdier berries– not as flavorful though :/
    Strawberry-banana is one of those awesome smoothie combinations– this is a fantastic version!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide — June 27, 2008 @ 8:21 PM

I adore banana bread!

Deborah — June 27, 2008 @ 8:48 PM

I always have bad luck baking with strawberries, but maybe it’s because I’m not buying French strawberries!! This looks delish!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen — June 27, 2008 @ 9:12 PM

Certainly looks like it takes the cake! LOL! This really looks good enough to be cake Lori!

PaniniKathy — June 27, 2008 @ 9:20 PM

ooh…now you’ve enticed me to finally go over to check out Chino Farms! Would love to sample some French strawberries!!

Jeena — June 27, 2008 @ 10:09 PM

Oooo la la that is one gorgeous strawberry banana bread!

Psychgrad — June 27, 2008 @ 10:36 PM

Are any strawberries sold in France, French strawberries? I just bought strawberries from the grocery store last week (in France) and they were pretty damn good. I was hoping that I’d have as much success at home being that strawberries are in season.

This recipe may be my first attempt at getting back on the bread wagon after this debacle.

the southern hostess — June 28, 2008 @ 12:56 AM

Sounds delightful!

noble pig — June 28, 2008 @ 1:20 AM

I don’t think I could imagine anything better unless I was eating it! Yummy

Leah — June 28, 2008 @ 2:44 AM

Too true….there can never be enough banana bread recipes. I must have five! Adding strawberries just screams ‘summer!!’

Jenny — June 28, 2008 @ 3:50 AM

Mmmm, what a great combo! I just posted a strawberry recipe as well. I think I’ll have to try your bread with my leftover strawberries! Sounds like a great recipe!

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — June 28, 2008 @ 4:10 AM

Oh boy! I’d love a slice of that bread with my morning coffee! It looks delicious!

The only French strawberries I’ve ever seen were in France. They were outstanding. Were yours grown locally or imported? I’d love to get my hands on one of those plants!

Grace — June 28, 2008 @ 8:55 AM

i would’ve had a hard time parting with the strawberries for bread-making purposes, but it looks like it was worth it. banana bread rocks, but strawberry banana bread is headbangin’. :)

Lore — June 28, 2008 @ 11:15 AM

My kind of banana bread! With a twist that is :)

Mike of Mike's Table — June 28, 2008 @ 5:43 PM

That looks like a great bread. I’d be calling that breakfast for a few days…and dessert, lol. Also, interesting about french strawberries..all I ever see is from FL or CA…

Beth — June 28, 2008 @ 6:24 PM

I love banana bread – this looks delicious. I have tagged you for a meme

nicole — June 28, 2008 @ 6:52 PM

I love banana bread and this does look good.

VeggieGirl — June 28, 2008 @ 7:14 PM

And here I thought that banana bread on its own just couldn’t get any better; and now you create this strawberry-oatmeal variety!! Brilliant!! I wish I could taste it! :0)

Sharon — June 29, 2008 @ 12:40 AM

Lori,
    I have a blog award for you! A much deserved one at that :)

Susan from Food Blogga — July 1, 2008 @ 10:59 PM

The strawberries really bring this banana bread into summertime. I just love the flavor combination.