Buster Bars

Is your house heat-drenched this summer? Are you trying to avoid using that oven because you don’t wish to add to the misery? Here’s a no-bake frozen dessert that you will have a tough time not eating.

Are you familiar with Dairy Queen? These were a popular treat from DQ: Buster Bars.

I think they’ve phased out a lot of the Dairy Queen franchises. There are a couple of DQ’s that I know of in San Diego, and I have no idea if they still carry Buster Bars. But now you can make your own!

I found myself sneaking little slices of this throughout the day. It’s just a satisying mouthful when the humidity and heat are too much to bear. And it’s a great dessert to have in the freezer when relatives and friends drop by unexpectedly (if you have any of those kind!)

This recipe can be found here (and it couldn’t be any easier!!): Buster Bars

37 Responses to “Buster Bars”

Manggy — July 22, 2008 @ 9:31 AM

Easy indeed! It looks smashing, and I love Buster Bars! It makes me kind of sad that they’re phasing out the DQ franchises :(

Mary Coleman — July 22, 2008 @ 11:50 AM

It’s 99 degrees in the shade here. This looks wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.

Parker — July 22, 2008 @ 11:52 AM

Funny you should mention DQ. I have not been in ages, and this weekend was my husbands b-day and his mom bought him a DQ icecream cake. It was just as good as I remembered.

Dibs — July 22, 2008 @ 12:01 PM

very nice!

Tanya — July 22, 2008 @ 12:41 PM

That looks great. I’m sure it’ll be a big hit at our house. What a great summer treat!

Sharon — July 22, 2008 @ 12:44 PM

I miss DQ! I moved to SD from Chicago where DQ is suddenly trendy again. They’re opening up cute ones in yuppie neighborhoods.

These buster bars look great and just the right thing to cool me off.

April in CT — July 22, 2008 @ 1:58 PM

Oh man this looks so good! This would be great for A Southern Grace’s blog “Beat the Heat” event she’s hosting!!

I grew up in a very small town and when we finally got a Dairy Queen stand alone store we thought we’d finally arrived! LOL

Heather — July 22, 2008 @ 2:12 PM

oooohhh yummo! these look delicious!

Proud Italian Cook — July 22, 2008 @ 2:22 PM

DQ’s are all over around here still.Lori I love the ease and look of your Buster Bars, who wouldn’t love a slice of this on a hot summer day, with no oven involved!

dobetter — July 22, 2008 @ 3:01 PM

I have no idea what a buster bar is, but what you’ve got there looks fantastic.

noble pig — July 22, 2008 @ 4:10 PM

Oh wow, this would go over big at my house! Looks amazing.

Nicole — July 22, 2008 @ 4:49 PM

I don’t know how you stay thin with all the fabulous desserts you offer all the time! I would be huge!

Looks sooooo yummy.

Patsyk — July 22, 2008 @ 5:07 PM

It’s so funny… soon as I saw the title of your post I thought of DQ! We have a couple here in NJ, and I always seek them out. I’m marking this recipe to try as it’s right up my alley!

Katrina — July 22, 2008 @ 5:53 PM

I have been making this dessert for years. I’ve never put peanuts in mine, so it’s always just been called Ice Cream Dessert. The peanuts sound great to me. Love DQ. We’ve got them out here in the midwest. We drove from Lawrence, KS to Tulsa, OK (it’s only four hours), but in every little town they had a gas station, usually a bank and always a DQ. I thought it was funny.
    What’s great about this dessert is you can switch it up and use any cookies you want on the bottom (Oreos just about make all kinds now, go for their mint ones, with mint choc chip ice cream, the options are limitless, any ice cream you want and change the fudge to butterscotch or caramel, even strawberry ice cream topping. LOVE this, so does my family. You could even make one with fat free frozen yogurt, sugar free cookies, etc and make it more healthy. It’s still divine, even then. Yours looks SO good!

Isa — July 22, 2008 @ 7:11 PM

Oh, boy! That looks sooo good. And very easy too. Currently is freezing here in Chile, so I guesS I’ll have to wait a few more months to make it!
    Thanks for sharing.

Pamela — July 22, 2008 @ 8:19 PM

Holy Cow!! I would love to make these, they sound amazing! Perfect for the triple H days of summer.

Deborah — July 22, 2008 @ 9:28 PM

My husband and I keep seeing commercials for treats at Dairy Queen that we want, but the nearest one is too far away to warrant a trip just for Dairy Queen. I’ll make my own at home now!

Grace — July 22, 2008 @ 10:44 PM

yum! as april mentioned, this is perfect for my little event. whaddya say? :)

Anonymous — July 23, 2008 @ 12:27 AM

What size Oreos did you use?

Anonymous — July 23, 2008 @ 12:28 AM

Sorry, let me clarify, what size bag of Oreo’s did you use?

Janna — July 23, 2008 @ 4:11 AM

Looks and sounds awesome (and dangerous)!

farida — July 23, 2008 @ 4:36 AM

Easy and yummy! What’s not to love. Honestly, I have never heard of Buster Bars before but now I know it is something really goooood:) Great recipe!

You have an award on my blog waiting to be picked up:)

VeggieGirl — July 23, 2008 @ 12:40 PM

I used to LOVE eating those Buster Bars from DQ as a little kid – what fun that you made a homemade (and better-looking) version! :0)

Leslie — July 23, 2008 @ 7:41 PM

Super easy and super yummy!
    I left an award for you on my site…………..I know everyone is busy..so no need to participate..I just wanted to show some love!

Cathy C — July 24, 2008 @ 12:25 AM

I am “Bustin” out of the house to the store right now to get all the ingrediants – WOW this looks great what a crowd pleasure you have here (that is if I decide to play well in the sandbox and share ;)

Cheers
    Cathy

Bunny — July 24, 2008 @ 1:00 AM

OH MY GOSH!!! my husband and kids are gonna LOVE this!!! THANK YOU!!!

Prudy — July 24, 2008 @ 1:34 AM

We make this one a lot during the summer. In fact, when I get together with my siblings we fight over this stuff.

CookiePie — July 24, 2008 @ 9:24 PM

Oh. My. GAWD! Those look amazing!!!

cakewardrobe — July 24, 2008 @ 9:30 PM

I never had DQ.. I might start my own at home tonight! YUM!

Susan from Food Blogga — July 25, 2008 @ 12:10 AM

Dairy Queen wasn’t too big where I grow up, but I could get really chummy with a homemade Buster Bar.

Mike of Mike's Table — July 25, 2008 @ 5:30 PM

That looks like an awesome dessert. I used to love DQ…and Carvel…and just about every ice cream joint, lol.

Lori Lynn — July 25, 2008 @ 5:37 PM

Oh yes, I remember Buster Bars. And a Chocolate Chip Banana Blizzard was a favorite too.

Lori – You know, I would have not touched Cool Whip with a 10 foot pole, but I’ve come 360 degrees, and it has its place. Nostalgic food. I am all for it. I make a trifle with it now. Cool, that Cool Whip!

Tartelette — July 25, 2008 @ 10:32 PM

Never had one but I am sure that if my husband sees this he’ll jump for joy!!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide — July 26, 2008 @ 3:12 AM

These were awesome at DQ and they look awesomer here. I will make these. Made the zuchini muffins the other day…..my husbands secretary gave him some zuchini. I overcooked them a bit but overnight in the tupperware softened them up. scrumptious. my grandma-ma used to make zuchini bread in old soup cans so they would come out in little round loaves.

Mommy's Kitchen — July 26, 2008 @ 1:32 PM

Really easy I love those desserts. This is perfect for the hot texas heat. I love chocolate eclair cake and its not bake. I am definitly making this.

RecipeGirl — July 27, 2008 @ 6:33 PM

Anonymous- Just regular-sized oreos will do :)

Elle — August 6, 2008 @ 4:39 AM

Oh, yum! We are lucky enough to still have some Dairy Queens around here, and I’ve gotta say, they’ve got the big 3 fast food joints beat with their burgers and fries.

This looks so good and a great way to beat the heat!