This recipe has been featured in a post on The Recipe Girl blog: Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies.
Chocolate- Mascarpone Brownies
Yield: 16 brownies
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 50 min
The ultimate rich fudgy brownie with a cream- cheesy vibe. Up there with the best brownies I've had.
1 cup unsalted butter
3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
3 large, at room temperature eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
6 Tablespoons whipping cream
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter an 8-inch square pyrex pan.
2. Place chopped chocolate in a mixing bowl; set aside. In a small glass bowl, melt butter in microwave, just until melted- don't let it cook and bubble. Pour butter over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is completely melted and butter is well incorporated. Sift in sugar and cocoa powder.
3. With a wooden spoon, beat in mascarpone, eggs and vanilla, mixing until smooth. Gently fold in flour and salt.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Place into preheated oven and bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
5. Place pan on cooling rack and let brownies cool 10 to 15 minutes while you make the ganache.
6. Place chopped chocolate in a mixing bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the cream and butter to just below boiling point, over medium heat. Pour this hot mixture over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds, then stir until smooth. Pour ganache over brownies while still warm, and spread to cover evenly.
7. Let ganache firm up before cutting. It's best to refrigerate them until quite firm. Once the ganache is firm and the brownies have been cut, they do not need to be kept in the refrigerator.
*Look for tubs of mascarpone cheese (like the cream cheese tubs) in the gourmet cheese section of your grocery store- or in gourmet markets. Trader Joes carried mascarpone cheese at a good price (as well as good quality chocolate bars.)
Source: RecipeGirl.com (Adapted from the Cookworks Show (Food Network Canada))