Blueberry- Cinnamon Muffins… or "What To Do With Loads of Blueberries!"

One of the many things I love about New England is the abundance of enormous, juicy Blueberries! We have access to blueberries here in Southern California but we don’t have cute little plants for picking blueberries anywhere that I know of here in So Cal, and it’s impossible to find the fabulous sort that are all over the place in New England. I wish I could say that our family skipped through endless blueberry fields filling our buckets with freshly picked blueberries. That sounds nice, doesn’t it? I was a bit early for the wonderful local blueberries in MA this year, but I did enjoy some from New Jersey that were pretty darn good. And when you have some good blueberries, you should always bake a batch of blueberry muffins. My choice: Blueberry Cinnamon Muffins.

There is nothing like biting into a freshly baked muffin and getting a mouthful of berries. These are topped with a cinnamony-oat mixture, and the best part is that they are a lower fat kind of muffin recipe. Lots of sugar… but less fat (if you’re concerned about that sort of thing).

And they tasted good too. Or perhaps it was the novelty of eating them while sitting on the sea wall watching the day begin with waves gently crashing upon the shore and boats streaming in and out of the harbor. It really was quite a nice way to spend our family vacation.

With nary a food processor, mixer, zester, sharp knife or even a mixing bowl in sight, it was tough to cook on this vacation. Needless to say, I had to skip the Daring Baker challenge this month! I had to bring little ziplocs of all of my own spices and bring a ‘stash’ of kitchen tools if that tells you anything. But I did manage to squeak out a few recipes and will share them over the next couple of weeks.

This muffin recipe can be found here:  Blueberry- Cinnamon Muffins

For those who were wondering about our vacation location in Massachusetts, we enjoyed the South Shore. It’s less crowded there than the Cape and we enjoy the charm and the nearby relatives. Call me crazy but I came away from our month-long vacation wanting to sell everything we had in California, purchase beachfront property in Massachusetts and build our dream home. My husband laughed that idea off and told his relatives to call us when the first NorEaster hits and he’d fly me out immediately to experience “winter in New England.” Apparently he thinks I might not survive. What’d'ya think New Englanders?

37 Responses to “Blueberry- Cinnamon Muffins… or "What To Do With Loads of Blueberries!"”

Cakespy — July 30, 2008 @ 2:55 PM

DAMN those look good!! This is like meusli reborn as muffins…and I am liking what I see!

Mandy — July 30, 2008 @ 3:11 PM

i say that’s a great way to begin the day!

Jessy and her dog Winnie — July 30, 2008 @ 3:11 PM

Those look great! I totally got to use up a bunch of blueberries!

April in CT — July 30, 2008 @ 3:35 PM

As a native GA girl who experienced her first EVER snowy winter in CT last year I’d venture to say you could do it! Although I’ve been told last winter was mild I survived and really loved it.

Those muffins are SO going on my list of things to make. YUM!

Tanya — July 30, 2008 @ 3:47 PM

I can’t wait to try this recipe. Blueberries in a muffin always do it for me!

Manggy — July 30, 2008 @ 3:58 PM

I haven’t been to New England but your hubby sounds real ominous! I’d take his word for it :) Low-fat or not, the muffins sound delicious and I can just imagine each blue jewel of flavor bursting in my mouth!

Katrina — July 30, 2008 @ 4:07 PM

Those look so yummy. I love the crumbly topping look. I’m still trying to find a blueberry muffin recipe that I just love and will have to try these!

noble pig — July 30, 2008 @ 4:19 PM

Okay I love these rustic looking muffins, especially with the ocean in the background.

Kirsten — July 30, 2008 @ 4:49 PM

Your muffins look great and I LOVE your pictures. Cape Cod is one of my favorite places.

Laurie — July 30, 2008 @ 7:20 PM

I live in Temecula. We have the Temecula Berry Company! I did a post on a custard cheese berry tart plus a review of the farm on my site.. It should still be on the opening page! :)
    I love your muffins! Ciao!

dobetter — July 30, 2008 @ 7:39 PM

Looks like something I’d buy in a bakery. Lovely. I want one now.

SteamyKitchen — July 30, 2008 @ 8:15 PM

what could be better than Blueberry Cinnamon Muffins on the beach!!

Mike of Mike's Table — July 30, 2008 @ 9:23 PM

These blueberry muffins look great and are one of my favorite breakfast/dessert foods!

Heather — July 31, 2008 @ 2:13 AM

wow! those are beautiful! i love the color of the blueberries against the beautiful background :)

Grace — July 31, 2008 @ 8:03 AM

i like blueberry muffins as much as the next gal, but i love cinnamon streusel of any kind and would probably eat it out of an old shoe (although i prefer it on a muffin). :)
    these buggers are a great use for your blueberries–nicely done.

Dee — July 31, 2008 @ 9:54 AM

You baked on your holiday? Wow! I’m usually (even more of) a potato when I’m on a break.

Blueberry muffins and the beach sound like heaven

Veronica — July 31, 2008 @ 11:42 AM

Boy those muffins look good! Your husbands right about the snowy winters, but sometimes that’s nice too. Everyone needs a snow day to catch up on “stuff”.

VeggieGirl — July 31, 2008 @ 11:50 AM

Those muffins are the PERFECT way to use up fresh, plump blueberries – yum!!

No worries about skipping this month’s Daring Bakers Challenge – you’ve been busy!! You’ll get the next one :0)

Mark Boxshus "Cookie Doctor" — July 31, 2008 @ 2:45 PM

First off, I love your photos and of course anything involving fresh blueberry muffins and the beach. I think you’d flourish here. Granted we can have a nasty Nor’easter or cold winter, but we don’t have the earthquakes, forest fires, smog, pollution, traffic, extreme heat, insane freeways, or drought that you “enjoy” in California. Don’t get me wrong……I love to visit the west coast, but would rather call New England home.

Prudy — July 31, 2008 @ 3:51 PM

Beautiful muffins on a beautiful beach. We are dying to get to Nantucket-haven’t been in a couple years, but you’re giving me cape cod envy.

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) — July 31, 2008 @ 5:20 PM

The back ground of the photo is as beautiful as the muffins. I bet both were amazing!

LVH — July 31, 2008 @ 6:24 PM

I’m a long time reader, reluctant to comment, but as an ex-Cape Cod resident recently relocated to SoCal, I had to throw in my two cents on this one… Stick with SoCal. Winter in New England just isn’t worth it! Now if you could spend summers there and winters here, that would be ideal. *sigh*

I’ll have to whip up a batch of the muffins for the fam when I’m back visiting the Cape next week. There’s really nothing like fresh blueberry muffins on the beach. And that cinnamon oat topping looks yummy.

And, since I’ve finally broken my wall of silence, thanks for all of the great recipes and fabulout pictures. It makes for fantastic inspiration.

RecipeGirl — July 31, 2008 @ 6:49 PM

LVH.. thanks for the advice! My hubby lived in CT as a child and experienced the winters. I’ve never been in the midst of them. I’ve heard that it’s a bit more mild near the water but you sure can’t beat SoCal weather all-year-long, can you? I agree that living bi-coastal would be a great choice. We hash around that idea too. I truly love the people and culture back there. Thanks for coming out of hiding :)

cook eat FRET — August 1, 2008 @ 1:38 AM

i’ve just done blueberry mini muffins, huge muffins and cake

i love your version. sounds delicious. next batch…

Lori Lynn — August 1, 2008 @ 1:49 AM

Those are some blueberries, but I especially like the photos on the shore. Feeling like I’m on vacation too.

Snooky doodle — August 1, 2008 @ 6:26 AM

wow these look yumy. Ideal for a morning breakfast. And the photo is like in a dream. so so relaxing
    Nice job

Barbara Bakes — August 1, 2008 @ 1:56 PM

I want to eat those muffins at the ocean!

Jenny — August 1, 2008 @ 2:36 PM

How cute are those little muffins on the beach?!! Great looking muffins girl! Have a great weekend!

HoneyB — August 1, 2008 @ 3:12 PM

I have tons of blueberries (ok, I’m exaggerating!) in my freezer from blueberry picking a couple weeks ago. I will have to try this one out!

Thanks for the compliment on my blog! I’m having a lot of fun!

Steph — August 1, 2008 @ 3:29 PM

These look sooo good. Just my kind of muffin!

Clumbsy Cookie — August 1, 2008 @ 5:30 PM

Blueberry AND cinnamon?! You have me convinced! Here we don’t get much blueberries and they’re so so expensive. Such a shame… If I had them easily available I would love to try them like this!

Deborah — August 1, 2008 @ 5:52 PM

Oooh, the cinnamon sounds like a wonderful addition!

Hillary — August 1, 2008 @ 6:57 PM

I like the addition of cinnamon to the classic blueberry muffin. Nice job and nice photos!

ali — August 1, 2008 @ 8:38 PM

you certainly could survive! besides socal at night can be might chilly.

That beach looks beautiful! Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Emiline — August 2, 2008 @ 6:04 PM

I’m jealous of this New England vacation! I’ve never been out that way.

Eating blueberry muffins by the sea, sounds so romantic.

Elle — August 6, 2008 @ 4:46 AM

Snow, schmow! You could totally do it–it’s not that bad. There’s nothing like hunkering down with everyone safely home for a Nor’easter. Warm comfort foods and toasty drinks, watching the snow fall outside–it’s near perfect to me. I wish we got *more* snow!

oh, and beautiful muffins! I love any muffin!

Jessica — October 17, 2008 @ 6:28 PM

I’m just discovering your blog (it’s fantastic by the way!) and saw that you vacationed on the South Shore. I grew up in Duxbury, so I understand your feelings of wanting to stay there forever!!