Yield: 4 dozen
Prep Time: 50 min + rising time
Cook Time: 15 min
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
2 sticks (1 cup) cold, unsalted butter, cut into bits
3 large egg yolks
1 cup sour cream
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
One 8-ounce jar raspberry jam or preserves
One 12-ounce package of mini-chocolate chips
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. In a bowl, stir together the flour and yeast. Cut in the cold butter with pastry blender or two knives- until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the egg yolks and sour cream and combine well.
2. Form the dough into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator overnight.
3. The next day... Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a cookie sheet. Mix walnuts and chocolate chips in a medium bowl. Set aside. Remove dough from refrigerator- quarter the dough and form each quarter into a ball.
4. On a floured surface, roll one ball of dough into a rectangle. Beginning at one long edge, spread 1 inch of raspberry jam along the entire edge of the dough. Sprinkle 1 quarter of the walnut mixture on top of raspberry jam. Fold in the edges and roll dough to the end; place on prepared cookie sheet.
5. Mix the topping ingredients in a small bowl. Brush top of pastry with melted butter and sprinkle with 1 quarter of the cinnamon/sugar topping mixture. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven; let sit for 10 minutes. Then slice into 1-inch slices on the diagonal.
6. Repeat above steps with remaining 3 balls of dough.