Such a delicious treat for pecan pie lovers: Maple Pecan Bars
These bars have a buttery shortbread crust and a pecan pie- like topping. They’re a wonderful treat for fall or the holidays.
Yield: 30 bars
Prep Time: 25 minutes + cooling time
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Maple Pecan Bars
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans
- Prepare the crust: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9x9x2-inch metal cake pan (or use an 8x8-it will be thicker). Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar and egg yolk in a bowl to blend. Add the flour and salt; beat until moist clumps form. Gather the dough together. Press the dough over the bottom and 1/2-inch up sides of pan. Bake the crust until golden, about 20 minutes. Cool.
- Prepare the filling: Combine the first 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until the butter melts and the mixture is smooth. Boil for 30 seconds. Remove from heat; mix in vanilla, then nuts.
- Pour the hot filling into the crust. Bake the bars until the filling is bubbling in the center, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool the bars completely in the pan on a rack (the filling will become firm). Chill at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours. Cut into small-sized bars.
- These bars may be prepared up to three days ahead.
Here are a few more pecan desserts that you might enjoy:
- Toasted Pecan Snowballs by Sally’s Baking Addiction
- Brown Butter Toffee Pecan Blondies by RecipeGirl
- Caramel Nougat Pecan Rolls by The Food Charlatan
- Caramel Pecan Cheesecake Bars by RecipeGirl