Yield: 40 cookies
Prep Time: 30 min + freeze time
Cook Time: 10 min
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon cold strong brewed coffee
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) salted butter, softened
2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
additional sugar for sprinkling
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, soda and salt. Set aside.
2. Combine the molasses and coffee in another bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix the sugar and butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the spices and beat well. Add the flour mixture and molasses mixture; beat at low speed until well combined.
4. Place the bowl into the freezer for 15 minutes. Shape the dough into a 7-inch roll and then flatten to 1-inch thickness. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer overnight.
5. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper.
6. Cut the dough into 40 slices and place them 1/2-inch apart on baking sheets. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 10 minutes.
7. Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks. Store in airtight containers.
*These cookies will appear soft in the center, but they will harden as they cool.