Yield: 3 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 40 min + chill time
Cook Time: 10 min
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 ounces white chocolate, melted with 1 teaspoon shortening
1/2 cup finely chopped candy canes
1. Stir together the flour and salt in medium-size bowl.
2. Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until smooth and creamy. Beat in the egg. Beat in the peppermint and vanilla extracts.
3. On low speed, beat in the flour mixture. Shape the dough into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray (or parchment paper).
5. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls for a total of 36 cookies; place on prepared baking sheets.
6. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned. Transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely. When cool, drizzle with melted white chocolate; dip in chopped candy canes. Let harden on waxed paper.