Chopped Apple Cake w/ Sticky Toffee Topping
Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 1 hour 5 min
2 cups sifted flour (sift, then measure)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups granulated white sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups raw apples, peeled, cored and chopped by hand
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped (optional)
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1. Set oven rack in the middle position. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 9x13x2-inch pan with foil, shiny side up, and coat with vegetable spray.
2. Prepare cake: In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
3. Sift sugar into bowl of standing mixer with paddle attachment. Cream butter with the sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Add apples alternately with sifted dry ingredients, beating after each addition. Fold in walnuts.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 1 hour, or until cake pulls away from sides of pan and tester inserted into cake comes out clean. Cool on rack 25 minutes, or until just warm.
5. To make toffee topping: Melt butter in a heavy metal saucepan over low heat. Add brown sugar and salt and whisk until blended. Add heavy cream, increase heat to medium, and stir with a wooden spoon until mixture comes to a boil. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Mixture will thicken as it rests.
6. Make several slits in warm cake with a butter knife. Pour sauce over cake. Let rest until topping sets, about 15 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream or unsweetened whipped cream. Store loosely covered with was paper at room temperature.
Source: RecipeGirl.com (via Heirloom Baking with the Brass Sisters )