European Chocolate Truffle Cake
Yield: 12 to 15 servings (a rich sliver of cake is plenty!)
Prep Time: 15 min + chill time
Cook Time: 30 min
I have made this quite a few times. It is my go to special dessert. It is easy and every bite is like eating a truffle. Perfect for the chocolate lover in your life.
8 ounces good quality semisweet chocolate
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
4 large eggs, well beaten
1 cup heavy whipping cream
10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
heavy whipping cream, whipped (or ice cream), for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch springform pan liberally with cooking spray.
2. Melt butter in a medium-sized glass bowl in the microwave (about 1 to 2 minutes). Add the chocolate and microwave for 30 more seconds. Let sit for about 3 or 4 minutes, then add the sugar and stir until blended. When cool, stir in the beaten eggs. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until a crust forms on top. Cool to room temperature; then refrigerate overnight in pan.
3. Remove cake from pan, and place cake on a wire rack over a baking sheet.
4. Make icing by placing whipping cream in a large saucepan. Heat to almost boiling. Remove from burner and add chocolate chips. Let sit for about 4 to 5 minutes. Then stir to blend until smooth.
5. Pour the chocolate ganache over the cake and spread the icing over the sides. It will be a glossy icing. Carefully remove iced cake to a serving plate.
6. Serve each sliver of cake with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream.
*If you are preparing this cake as gluten-free, just be sure that your chocolate is GF!
*For good quality semisweet chocolate, look in your local kitchen supply stores or online.
*You definitely need the whipped cream or ice cream served on top to "cut" some of the richness of the chocolate.