Jewish Apple Cake
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 1 hr, 30 min
6 to 8 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
5 Tablespoons granulated white sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1/3 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch tube pan with nonstick spray.
2. Place apple slices into a large bowl. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and toss apples until evenly coated. Set aside.
3. Place flour, baking powder and salt in separate bowl. Whisk together and set aside.
4. Put remaining ingredients in large bowl. Beat together until well mixed. Gradually add dry mixture to wet mixture. Beat until well blended.
5. Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Arrange half of the apples over it. Pour on remaining batter on and place the rest of the apples on top.
6. Bake 1 1/2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Start checking your cake at 75 minutes to make sure it's not done early.