MOCHA ANGEL FOOD CAKE WITH MOCHA SAUCE
½ cup cake flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
1 Tbs dried instant espresso coffee
¼ tsp salt
1½ cups egg whites (9-11 large egg whites)
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbs dark brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp dried instant espresso coffee
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
2 oz chopped semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate
½ cup nonfat milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Sift cake flour and measure ½ cup sifted. In a bowl, mix flour, ¼ cup sugar, cocoa, instant espresso and salt.
3. In a deep bowl (at least 4 qt.) with a mixer at high speed, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until they form a thick foam. Continue to beat and add remaining 1 cup sugar, 1 T. about every 15 seconds, whipping until whites hold very stiff peaks. Mix in vanilla.
4. Sprinkle about ½ the flour mixture over whipped whites. Gently fold mixture until blended. Sprinkle with remaining flour mixture and gently fold to blend well. Scrape batter into an UNGREASED 10″ tube cake pan with a removeable rim; spread level.
5. Bake until center of cake springs back when lightly pressed and begins to pull from pan side, 40-45 minutes.
6. Invert pan on a rack; let stand at least 1 hour. Run a thin knife between cake and pan rim. Push cake from pan rim. Slide thin knife between cake and pan bottom, and around tube to pan bottom. Invert cake onto a plate and lift out tube section.
7. In a 1-2 quart pan, whisk sugar, cornstarch, instant espresso, cinnamon, chocolate, and ½ cup milk to blend. Whisking, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, 3-4 minutes. If the sauce is too thick to drizzle, stir in more milk, 1 T. at a time. Use hot or warm. Drizzle mocha sauce onto top of cake, letting it run down the sides. Use an angel food cake cutter or serrated knife to cut slices.
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat (19%) 14.81
Total Fat 2.02g
Saturated Fat 1.15g
Dietary Fiber 1.60g
Net Carbohydrates 10.28g
WW POINTS: 1.5
Recipe Source: Sunset
PRINT THIS RECIPE using your browser’s ‘print’ function. It’s automatically formatted to print recipe & picture only.
RATE THIS RECIPE[ratings]