Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 25 min
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) salted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup light molasses
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup hot water
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Use an electric mixer to combine the butter, sugar and egg in a large bowl until well blended. Beat in the molasses. Whisk together the flour, soda, salt, nutmeg and ginger. Add to egg mixture in two parts alternately with the hot water. Mix until smooth.
3. Spread into a greased and floured 9-inch diameter round cake pan.
4. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Cool in pan on rack until just warm to touch (about 15 minutes). Turn cake onto rack. Set serving plate over cake and invert together so the top of the cake is up.
6. Just before serving, sift powdered sugar over the top.
*If you wish, you can use a stencil to create a powdered sugar design on top of the cake.