Paula Deen’s Orange Brownies

Paula Deen is a nice lady and all, but I just don’t usually cook much like she cooks. I don’t think I could ever make fried chicken, fried onion rings or anything really fried for that matter. Eating that stuff at a restaurant is a little easier than watching it sizzle in gluttony in front of me. And the use of excessive butter just plain grosses me out.

Baking, however, is another story. Bring on the butter! If I’m gonna bake up something really decadent, butter is my friend (especially since I usually bake for others). And in the arena of baking, Paula has some recipes worth a peek.

This Orange Brownies recipe had been recommended to me. I was thinking… ‘ok, must be a nice chocolate brownie with a hint of orange.’ Then I got my hands on the recipe and discovered that it’s more of a cakey orange bar. It’s brownie-like, but just not chocolate. (Kind of like those deceptively titled Butterfinger Brownies that I blogged about a while back).

The base is baked up and then poked with a fork or a skewer or anything of the pointy sort.

An orange-infused glaze is drizzled over the top… it soaks into all of those holes that you created.

Let them set up a bit, and them cut them into delicious bites.

Orange zest and even orange extract are included within. If you like a dessert with a fresh orange flavor, these are excellent. In true Paula Deen fashion, they contain 2 sticks of butter. But hey, it’s dessert. I served these at a party recently and they were a bit hit. To serve a small crowd, I would suggest making a platter with a few of these on it and a few of those Butterfinger Brownies too. You might just have people following you home.

The Orange Brownies recipe can be found here: Orange Brownies

The Butterfinger Brownies recipe can be found here: Butterfinger Brownies

28 Responses to “Paula Deen’s Orange Brownies”

Tanya — August 16, 2008 @ 12:07 PM

I’m not a PD fan either, but these do look good. I like that they are different than the normal chocolate brownie(though I’d never tire of those!). I’m thinking these would be fun to serve at a little ladies luncheon or something similar!

Manggy — August 16, 2008 @ 12:59 PM

Hahaha! I love how you had to preface your post. The first and only time I saw her perform was for an advertisement on the Food Network while I was in the States (the broadcaster of FN here doesn’t show her shows). She spoke soooo slowly I didn’t have the patience for it. Plus, she released a recipe for fried butter, so I was turned off maybe forever.

But I’m glad you can find the real jewels from her! These orange (blondies?) look really dense and delicious.

By the way, don’t be afraid to fry for yourself! Give in… Give in… ;)

Katrina — August 16, 2008 @ 6:18 PM

I LOVE Paula Deen, but like you, would not cook the way she does. I think she’s a hoot and love watching her, but try to cook and even bake much healthier than she does. On that note, I recall seeing the episode where she make the orange brownies, and didn’t really think they looked that good, but yours looks really yummy. A nice break from all things chocolate, which is my real world.
    Oh, and I’ve made the Butterfinger Brownies twice now and they are SO good. For a GREAT quick choclate brownie, I’m loving Anna’s (Cookie Madness) recent One Bowl Cocoa Brownies. I think all three of these would look great on a spread. :)

CookiePie — August 16, 2008 @ 11:39 PM

Love it! I agree with you: we eat pretty healthy food at our house — but when it’s time for dessert, all bets are off! Your orange brownies look really delish!!

Jan — August 17, 2008 @ 12:26 AM

These look and sound really good, what a refreshing change from chocolate brownies. Not that I would turn my nose up at those either.

And give yourself a break and fry something sometime. A good fry-up is great – but all things in moderation. :-)

Adam — August 17, 2008 @ 1:51 AM

Paula Deen isn’t really welcome in my house too much either, but I will agree that she can have a way with desserts. I even like her shortcut methods with cake mixes, and the 321 cake is always a nice recipe because it’s easy to remember.

I’ve never sen the orange brownies… nice idea :)

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide — August 17, 2008 @ 3:26 AM

I am like you……I am not much of a paula deen cooker…..I save the butter for baking. I want my calories where they count….IN DESSERT. These look very good!

sliceofsueshe — August 17, 2008 @ 4:46 AM

I’m not a huge follower of Paula either, but, these do look delicious.
    Have you tried her banana pudding? A little on the sweet side for me, but cut back on the condensed milk and it’s pretty addicting.

VeggieGirl — August 17, 2008 @ 10:01 AM

Yep, I have a love-hate relationship with Paula Deen – she seems like such a fun, caring person, yet I can’t justify the extremely unhealthy cooking methods that she uses (she has a recipe for Deep-Fried Butter Balls… ’nuff said). However, those brownies DO sound delicious :0)

Prudy — August 17, 2008 @ 1:14 PM

That looks like a delicious dense little cake. I don’t think I’ve ever made a PD recipe, but I’m more than willing to give it a go.

pickbet — August 17, 2008 @ 4:04 PM

Paula Deen’s recipe for fried butter was a joke folks. Because she knows that most people laugh at her using so much butter she was poking fun at herself. Lighten up and enjoy her for what she is. She’s a southern cook who eats what she wants but doesn’t object or make fun of what you eat. If you want to review the recipes instead of her cooking methods it would be much appreciated. Either watch her or turn it off and find something else to whine about.

Grace — August 17, 2008 @ 5:39 PM

how is paula still alive and kickin (and doing inappropriate things on camera)?
    anyway, these sound perfectly refreshing and would be a nice change for my chocolate-centric kitchen. :)

Lisa — August 17, 2008 @ 6:47 PM

I love brownies that are different from the norm. I agree, no frying in my house!

Emiline — August 17, 2008 @ 7:07 PM

The link is working now. Blogger acts so nutty sometimes.

These sound really interesting! Kind of like an orange blondie, but moister? Reminds me of tres leches, when you pour the milk milk mixture on top.

Clumbsy Cookie — August 17, 2008 @ 8:31 PM

With all that icing soaked trhu they must be so moist and orangy! Paula does like her butter!

Aggie — August 17, 2008 @ 9:31 PM

I discovered this recipe a few years ago and it has become one of my go to recipes! I love these “brownies”! I haven’t made them in a while, now I’m craving them! Love that orange glaze!

dobetter — August 17, 2008 @ 11:41 PM

I’m with you, no fried chicken or onion rings here, but those orange brownies look great! Thanks for posting.

Deborah — August 18, 2008 @ 4:10 PM

I made some orange blondies from her once – different recipe than this one – and they were one of my favorites! These sound so decadent!

Kristen — August 18, 2008 @ 5:14 PM

I can practically smell those delicious brownies!

Rosie — August 18, 2008 @ 6:50 PM

Oh yes bring on the butter for baking I’m with you here 100%. I really don’t know much about P.D. Just love your orange brownies gosh they look so delish:)

Rosie x

Grossman Family — August 18, 2008 @ 9:28 PM

These look amazing!

Laura — August 19, 2008 @ 3:10 AM

I must make these for my husband–he would love them! Thanks for sharing!

cook eat FRET — August 19, 2008 @ 3:13 AM

ok – i admit… sounds great
    but paula deen? no can do…

Leslie — August 19, 2008 @ 1:32 PM

Ohhh..I have made these several times and…YUMMY! Yours look wonderful!
    Thanks for your comment on my cake pops…they were fun to made but I did go a little overboard w/ all my different decoratioins!

My Sweet & Saucy — August 20, 2008 @ 6:29 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of orange brownies, but these look great! What fun!

farida — August 20, 2008 @ 10:21 PM

Ohhh, yummy for my tommy:) THese brownies look so good. Although I would brand them differently, maybe Orangies, not Brownies:)

That Girl — August 24, 2008 @ 5:31 AM

I feel the same way about Paula Deen – I am far more interested in the baking than the cooking!

Sherri Simmons — September 25, 2008 @ 2:52 AM

Paula is fun and very generous. To see photos of her and her family at charitable events in Savannah, go to http://www.spotted.savannahnow.com and type PAULA in the search box.