Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Gingerbread with Milk Chocolate Chunks
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup light molasses
1/4 cup honey
1 large egg
1/2 cup very finely minced peeled ginger
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup water
4 ounces milk chocolate, cut into small pieces, or milk chocolate chips
whipped cream or creme fraiche for serving, optional
1. Position rack in lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch square or 9-inch round pan, or line with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt and soda. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, molasses and honey. Whisk in egg and ginger.
4. In a saucepan, heat butter and water until butter is melted. Whisk hot mixture into honey mixture. Add flour mixture and stir until smooth. Stir in chocolate. Scrape batter into pan.
5. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean (with the exception of melted chocolate attaching itself to the toothpick). Bake 25- 30 minutes for a square cake and a little longer for a round cake. Cool cake on a rack in the pan. Invert cake, remove pan and peel off paper liner (if using).
6. Serve cake right side up, warm or at room temperature, plain or with a dollop of cream.
Source "compassrose" CLBB