Mango Guacamole

Here in Southern California, avocados are plentiful all year long (and they’re usually available at a great price.) Our kids are raised eating this creamy soft-textured green fruit, and we put it in our salads regularly without much thought. Green guacamole might be a frightening sight to children who aren’t familiar with it, but our So-Cal kids happily gobble up scoop after scoop with tortilla chips. We sure love our guacamole. Rick Bayless’ version adds a bit of juicy, ripe mango to create a Mango Guacamole.

A ripe avocado should give just slightly when you gently squeeze it. If it’s hard, the avocado will need a couple of days on your counter to ripen. Open it up by slicing a knife all the way around and down to the pit. Twist halves in opposite directions to open it up.

To remove the pit, gently tap a sharp knife onto the pit. Twist it and it should pop out easily.

Scoop out the flesh with a large spoon and the avocado is ready to use.

Mango Guacamole was the second appetizer that I made for our Yucatan-themed Gourmet Club’s dinner party. (The first one was that Ceviche that I blogged about last post.) If I have any advice for prepping avocado for guacamole it would be to not pulverize the heck out of the avocado. It’s much better if you mash it roughly with a large fork and leave chunks within than if you turn it into the texture of mashed potatoes.

There really isn’t any special magic involved in the making of this guacamole. It pretty much just tastes like any great guacamole with the addition of mango. If you’ve got a perfectly ripe mango that slices nicely and isn’t overly squishy, then you’ll end up with a good guac. The mango contributes a sweetness to the classic guacamole just as mango salsa is a sweet change from classic salsa. Everyone enjoyed the change and it was devoured quickly with blue corn tortilla chips, sliced jicama and cucumber.

Here was the rest of our menu for our Yucatan-themed dinner… all from Rick Bayless (and can be found on his site). And ALL were delicious.

Sangria Mexicana
Salt and Pepper Ceviche
Mango Guacamole
Dzik
(steak appetizer)
Authentic Tortilla Soup (Recipe from one of our guests who is from Mexico)
Heirloom Tomato “Carpaccio” with Tomatillo Salad, Avocado & Fresh Herbs
Rice & Black Beans
Achiote Seared Shrimp with Quick Habanero Pickled Onions
Tangy Yucatecan Grilled Pork with Roasted Onions and Fresh Garnishes
Caramelized Mango Tart with Chocolate and Pepitos

Everything was fabulous, but my faves were the authentic Tortilla Soup as well as the Mango Tart. Our dinners are this amazing every month. Don’t you wish you were in our Gourmet group? And more importantly, were you raised to love avocados?

Print out the recipe here: Mango Guacamole

32 Responses to “Mango Guacamole”

Cheryl — August 21, 2008 @ 3:59 AM

Oddly, I’m allergic to mango, but avocados are absolutely my favorite thing about living in California. That and the sunshine. Your avocado photo is a real beauty!

Manggy — August 21, 2008 @ 4:43 AM

Hee! When I saw the title I thought it would just consist of pureed mangoes! I wondered how it would hold its shape. Silly me :) It looks wonderful! I love mangoes in most anything!

Ning — August 21, 2008 @ 5:51 AM

Your pictures are so pretty!! Adding mangoes to the guacamole is indeed an interesting twist. Yes, we were raised to love avocados. My mother has an avocado tree in her yard. :)

Lori Lynn — August 21, 2008 @ 7:05 AM

Hi Lori – Definitely wishing I was in your gourmet group! Love Rick Bayless. We ate at Topolobambo a while back, and he couldn’t have been more gracious (and we had lots of questions for him!)

I like how the mangos dot the guacamole, great presentation, looks kinda like a reptile from the Yucatan. haha

I agree on the chunky style rather than a mousse style of guac, supposed to be rustic!

hot garlic — August 21, 2008 @ 12:45 PM

Recipegirl you have out-done yourself! This looks and sounds amazing. It really seems to me like, duh, why didn’t I think of that! I think Ben will be in heaven. Two things he loves nearly as much as me, mangos, and guacamole {hence why I was wondering why I didn’t think of it!}

Gloria (Canela) — August 21, 2008 @ 1:47 PM

This is absolutely beauty!! I really love guacamolesand avocados and mangos!!!Gloria

Adam — August 21, 2008 @ 2:01 PM

I love the addition of the mango. I feel that there are no holds barred in guacomole making… with all sorts of fruits making their way into it. Awesome idea for a party :)

Maria — August 21, 2008 @ 2:49 PM

Mango and avocado, the perfect pair! I love it! I wish I had some chips right now.

Fearless Kitchen — August 21, 2008 @ 3:18 PM

I love guacamole. I love mangoes. The two together…. Seriously, your Yucatan themed dinner soulds like a great idea.

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide — August 21, 2008 @ 4:34 PM

Yummy yummy yummy, mexican is the only “leftovers” I will eat.

Grace — August 21, 2008 @ 4:53 PM

year-round avocado!!! that does it. i’m packing up and moving to california (as if i needed another excuse to escape ny…). :)

Clumbsy Cookie — August 21, 2008 @ 4:54 PM

I’m not really a guacamole gal, but I really love that you added mango (I’m a mango gal). I have to admit the texture of it looks perfect and good for you that you have kids that like it so much!

noble pig — August 21, 2008 @ 5:07 PM

This looks amazing and I love my supper club but we only meet every other month. Wish we could do it more often.

Laura — August 21, 2008 @ 5:33 PM

I totally and completely wish I were in your dinner group. Mango in guacamole… what a lovely thought.

Mark Boxshus "Cookie Doctor" — August 21, 2008 @ 6:36 PM

I would love to be in your group. Years ago I belonged to a similar group, and the final annual meeting was a “progressive” dinner party. This involved 4 courses and 4 different homes, black tie servers and a “surprise” guest. The last year I was involved, my friend and I had to prepare the main course for 30 people. It was a very memorable evening.

sliceofsueshe — August 21, 2008 @ 6:50 PM

oh my. that looks delicious.

VeggieGirl — August 21, 2008 @ 7:08 PM

I LOVE mangoes, and I LOVE guacamole, so your recipe is PHENOMENAL!!! :0)

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen — August 21, 2008 @ 7:23 PM

That looks great! I love avocado and mango! I can imagine that they must taste really good together!

Mike of Mike's Table — August 21, 2008 @ 8:36 PM

I love the mango/avocado combo…also, that menu sounds like you had quite a treat of a meal!

melissa — August 21, 2008 @ 9:55 PM

Love the guac, but even more… just went to the site and looked up the achiote shrimp on the main dishes page (and there’s a pic at the top!). I want to try that – thanks for leading the way.

Elle — August 22, 2008 @ 1:22 AM

I never thought of adding mango to guacamole, but I’ll bet it’s delicious! It certainly looks fantastic!

Lina — August 22, 2008 @ 2:18 AM

holy guacamolie!

Cakespy — August 22, 2008 @ 3:56 AM

Absolutely inspiring! This sounds like a wonderful melange of flavors and textures–and a combination of so many of my favorite things! I have to try this one! And I am jealous of your avocados…they don’t look the same in Seattle!

Jenny — August 22, 2008 @ 4:57 AM

What a great combo, I’d be so happy with a bag of tortilla chips and this guacamole.

Lao Cha - JHL — August 22, 2008 @ 11:26 AM

Interesting , would love to give it a try ! Thanks for sharing the recipe, my dear !!!

Dawn — August 22, 2008 @ 1:59 PM

Ohhh you are so lucky to have an abundance of avacados. I have to travel to Whole Foods to get a good avacado and mango.
    Love this twist on guacamole you made.

Deborah — August 22, 2008 @ 5:37 PM

I wish avocados were affordable here year round! I’ve never even heard of adding mango – but it sounds delicious!!

Sylvie — August 24, 2008 @ 11:54 AM

I love guacamole and mango sounds like a great addition.

Mommy's Kitchen — August 27, 2008 @ 2:18 PM

That looks delish. I love mangos and avacados. I am definitly trying this recipe.

Proud Italian Cook — August 27, 2008 @ 2:50 PM

I love that you’re in a gourmet club! How fun is that! All this good food too, btw that piece of fish below is a thing of beauty!
    Also what ever you did on your feed,it worked! Yaah! You are now in my reader, so it worked great on my end. Thanks Lori

Rosie — August 27, 2008 @ 4:48 PM

I love mangos and avacados this is just up my street for making yum!

Rosie x

Kevin — August 29, 2008 @ 1:31 PM

Mango goes really well in guacamole!