Chocolate- Pumpkin Mousse Trifle
Yield: 16 servings
Prep Time: 40 min + chill time
Cook Time: 5 min
5 large egg yolks
1 cup granulated white sugar, divided
3 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
15-ounces canned pure unsweetened pumpkin
2 Tablespoons dark rum
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 ounces shaved dark chocolate
1. Fill a large bowl halfway with ice water and set aside.
2. Beat the yolks and 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons sugar together in a medium bowl until thick.
3. In a small saucepan, bring 3/4 cup cream to a boil and stream into the yolks very slowly while whisking continuously. Transfer to clean bowl and set over the ice bath. Stir the pumpkin, rum, vanilla, spices, and salt into the egg mixture.
4. Use an electric mixer and a medium bowl to beat 1/2 cup cream to stiff peaks. Fold into the pumpkin mixture. Cover and chill for 5-12 hours.
5. In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat remaining cream and sugar to stiff peaks.
6. Alternately layer pumpkin mousse and whipped cream in a glass serving or trifle dish (with tall sides). Sprinkle the chocolate between top two layers. Sprinkle chocolate on top with a few shaved rolls of chocolate. Serve chilled.
Source: RecipeGirl.com (Adapted from Country Living )