My Irish husband approves: Irish Bread Pudding with Caramel- Whiskey Sauce
Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time: 45 min
Cook Time: 1 hour
Irish Bread Pudding with Caramel Whiskey Sauce
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
10 ounce French bread baguette, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup Irish whiskey
1 3/4 cups 1% low fat milk
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
One 12 ounce can evaporated skim milk
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
2 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes (about 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup Irish whiskey
1/4 cup 1% low fat milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Brush melted butter on one side of French bread slices, and place bread, buttered sides up, on a baking sheet. Bake bread at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted. (leave oven on) Cut bread into cubes and set aside.
3. Combine raisins and whiskey in a small bowl; cover and let stand 10 minutes or until soft; do not drain.
4. Whisk together 1% milk, sugar, vanilla, evap. milk, and eggs in a large bowl. Add bread and raisin mixture, pressing gently to moisten; let stand 15 minutes. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly on top. Bake 35 minutes, or until set.
5. Prepare topping: Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Simmer on low and cook an additional 15 minutes or until golden - the mixture should be bubbling (do not stir). Remove from heat. Carefully add butter and cream cheese, stirring constantly with a whisk (the mixture will be hot and bubble vigorously). Cool slightly, and stir in whiskey and milk.
*If you prefer not to use whiskey, substitute apple juice for whiskey in the pudding. In the sauce, substitute 1 Tablespoon imitation rum extract and 3 Tablespoons water for the whiskey.
SOURCE: RecipeGirl.com (adapted from Cooking Light)
More bread pudding recipes you might enjoy:
Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding by Bake or Break
Strawberry- Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding by RecipeGirl
Peach- Buttermilk Bread Pudding by Cafe Johnsonia
Cinnamon- Caramel Bread Pudding by RecipeGirl
Waffle Bread Pudding with Strawberry Sauce by Zoe Bakes