VERMONT MAPLE CUSTARD BREAD PUDDING
2 cups whole milk
½ cup heavy whipping cream
4 large egg yolks
½ cup pure maple syrup
dash of salt
4 large egg whites
5 slices day-old bread, cubed
dash of nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a small saucepan scald milk and cream. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine and beat together the egg yolks, maple syrup, and salt. Stir milk mixture into the egg mixture gradually.
4. In a small bowl, beat egg whites to stiff-peak stage (not dry). Fold into custard mixture.
5. Spread bread cubes in a buttered 1½ quart baking dish. Pour custard mixture over bread cubes and dash with nutmeg. Place baking dish in a pan of hot water.
6. Bake 40-45 minutes, or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
*Bakery-quality bread will make for a much better bread pudding.
Recipe Source: Bear Wallow Books
PRINT THIS RECIPE using your browser’s ‘print’ function. It’s automatically formatted to print recipe & picture only.
RATE THIS RECIPE[ratings]