Snickerdoodle Ice Cream

There’s just no fighting those superhero-strength new germs at the beginning of a school year. 4 days into the start of school, and my little one has already come down with strep throat. The doctor sent us home with medicine and ordered two days at home resting, as well as cold, soothing things to eat. While waiting for the prescription to be filled, my little one picked out blue jello, chocolate pudding and Shrek Push-Pops. He wanted the forever evil and addicting PopTarts, but I explained that PopTarts didn’t exactly fall into the “cold and soothing” category. Ice cream, however, did fall into that Dr.-Prescribed category, and so I set out to prepare some of the homemade stuff for my sick little guy. (As if that other junk I bought him wasn’t enough, right?)

Luckily I had stored my ice cream maker tub in the freezer, so it was ready to go. I frantically browsed recipes that weren’t custard-based as I didn’t want my little darling to have to wait. He needed a healing dose of homemade ice cream, and he needed it today. Darn those lower-end ice cream makers… they work great but you do have to plan ahead to chill the ingredients and freeze the bowl!

Snickerdoodle Ice Cream was my choice. I was able to throw together a few ingredients that are already chilled, and 30 short minutes later we were in super rich and excessively indulgent Ice Cream Heaven.

Did it really taste like Snickerdoodles? Not really. But it did have similar flavors… a cinnamony, nutmeggy sort of ice cream. I had a couple of ideas for how to make it even better. How about chunks of Snickerdoodle Cookies mixed within (a la Cookies and Cream)? Or how about slapping some of this stuff in between two Snickerdoodle cookies and then edging it in cinnamon chips. Oh yeah. That would be a little over the top, but that’s what a good dessert is all about, right?

Little guy is already on the mend… and I have to think that this Snickerdoodle Ice Cream helped. (As well as snuggling with Mommy watching endless cartoons).

This recipe can be found here:  Snickerdoodle Ice Cream

HERE’S my favorite Snickerdoodles recipe.
And you might also enjoy THIS RECIPE for Superdoodles.

38 Responses to “Snickerdoodle Ice Cream”

1. postedAug 29, 2008 9:42 AM
    Clumbsy Cookie

Oh I’m so sick as well, cof cof cof… Oh my throat! Oh I need that ice-cream so badly! Your idea of using it as a filling for snickerdoodle ice-cream sandwiches is great! Hope the little guy get’s better soon!

2. postedAug 29, 2008 12:19 PM
    StickyGooeyCreamyChewy

Oh boy, I have a sore throat too. Can I have some? I adore snickerdoodles! What a great idea for an ice cream flavor! I vote for the snickerdoodle sandwiches. :)

3. postedAug 29, 2008 12:33 PM
    Patsyk

I’m sure the ice cream and snuggle time with mom helped him get on the mend faster. That ice cream sounds yummy… send some my way, PLEASE!

4. postedAug 29, 2008 12:39 PM
    Manggy

Aww, you’re such a wonderful mom! I hope kiddo recovers quickly and soon. I’ve never had a snickerdoodle before (… sigh) but that is one FAST recipe for ice cream! Lovely!

5. postedAug 29, 2008 1:26 PM
    alexandra's kitchen

poor thing. ice cream will do the trick. What a mom!

6. postedAug 29, 2008 2:38 PM
    Sharon

You’re such a sweet mom! I would get sick just to have a scoop of your ice cream :) Hope he feels better soon!

7. postedAug 29, 2008 4:11 PM
    Teresa Cordero Cordell

Hello recipe girl. Thanks for visiting my blog. I hear you. Been there done that when my kids were little. You are so loving to do this for your little one. Strep throat is no fun! My college going daughter got it in her freshman year and she was so miserable. Couldn’t make ice cream though, she was going to school in another town. Thanks for the great recipe…Snickerdoodle, love it.

8. postedAug 29, 2008 6:40 PM
    PaniniKathy

“Luckily I had stored my ice cream maker tub in the freezer” – ahh, you just reminded me I need to do that! For just such an occasion as you encountered – when you need homemade ice cream NOW. Your kids are so lucky to have a prepared mommy like you :-)

9. postedAug 29, 2008 8:09 PM
    Mike of Mike's Table

Hope the little one’s feeling better. The ice cream sounds like a great way to cheer anyone up, and getting it from scratch to bowl so quickly is no small feat!

10. postedAug 29, 2008 8:20 PM
    Katrina

Week two of school here and my 1st grader came home yesterday with a fever and the barfs! Gotta love school!
    My husband’s favorite cookie just might be Snickerdoodles. The ice cream looks so yummy!
    Hope your kid is better soon. Mine is actually feeling pretty good today, but it hasn’t been 24 hours of no fever. I’m just hoping the other three boys don’t get it!

11. postedAug 29, 2008 9:08 PM
    Any Little Reason

You just made my Friday – I finally wrestled my mom’s ice cream maker away from her (the one she’s had since I was a kid) and I was trying to decide what flavor would be my test run. I think this wins!

12. postedAug 29, 2008 9:35 PM
    Kristen

This is brilliant! I like how soft it is… my kind of ice cream ;)
    Hope your babe gets better soon!

13. postedAug 29, 2008 9:36 PM
    Adam

Haha I think we’re all coming down with something over here :) I think pieces of snickerdoodles would be amazing. It’s like chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, but maybe better :)

14. postedAug 29, 2008 10:15 PM
    Amanda

Oh this looks amazing! I’m sorry I missed you for my top recipe blog list but hopefully a part two will be coming soon! ;)

15. postedAug 30, 2008 12:22 AM
    Michele

Thanks so much for stopping by my site! :-) Snickerdoodles are my favorite cookie.
    Ice Cream always makes you feel a little better…I’m sure that the combination of snuggle time, ice cream and cartoons were just what the doctor ordered. Hope that your little one feels better very soon.

16. postedAug 30, 2008 12:35 AM
    Nicole

How do you like your ice cream maker? I haven’t ever made ice cream, simply for the lack of the appliance. But yours looks soooo good!

17. postedAug 30, 2008 12:56 AM
    Barbara Bakes

Oh – it’s been a long time since I’ve had a snickerdoodle. Yum!

18. postedAug 30, 2008 2:02 AM
    Laura

Ah strep throat… the bane of my childhood and yet I look back on those days fondly since of course these days it is always a virus, which you just have to wait out. Sorry he got sick so fast, though, what a crummy way to start the school year!

The ice cream looks wonderful. I would serve it with crumbled snickerdoodles on top for sure!

19. postedAug 30, 2008 2:49 AM
    Maggie

Strep throat is such a miserable sickness. I hope he’s feeling better. My son loves snickerdoodle cookies. I have to make this for him. I love the idea of having cookie pieces in it.

20. postedAug 30, 2008 2:50 AM
    nicole

Yum, ICE CREAM! Cookie pieces would have probably been really good in the ice cream and probably would have made it taste more like Snickerdoodle’s. Well I hope your son gets better soon.

21. postedAug 30, 2008 4:05 AM
    Lisa

Oh no! I am going to have to make more ice cream.

22. postedAug 30, 2008 4:05 AM
    hot garlic

I’m officially drooling!

23. postedAug 30, 2008 5:25 AM
    Pam

You are killing me. Not only do I LOVE snickerdoodles but I also LOVE ice cream. I have to make this.

Hope your little one feels better soon.

24. postedAug 30, 2008 9:21 AM
    Emiline

I love the idea of adding little cookie bits to it! Maybe next time, if you have some snickerdoodles laying around.

It looks wonderful!

25. postedAug 30, 2008 9:36 AM
    Grace

i’m weeping tears of joy for this creation. frankly, it’s enough to make me run out and buy an ice cream maker immediately. nicely done. cinnamon rules. :)

26. postedAug 30, 2008 12:30 PM
    VeggieGirl

Oh yes, germs are abound in schools – ick! I hate it when kids come to school sick (it gets worse in college)! But thank goodness that you came to the rescue with comforting treats!! Hooray!!

And no worries about the ice cream NOT tasting 100% like Snickerdoodles – it still sounds absolutely MARVELOUS to me!! :0)

27. postedAug 30, 2008 3:19 PM
    Ari (Baking and Books)

Poor little guy! I haven’t had strep throat in ages (knock on wood) but I remember how painful it can be. I hope he feels better soon and what an awesome mom you are to make a yummy batch of snickerdoodle ice cream for him!

28. postedAug 30, 2008 3:19 PM
    diva

it’s been a while since i visited your blog! apologies!
    this looks great. snickerdoodles in an ice cream is genius. reckon i’ll crush some snickerdoodles first and then add that to this ice cream? :D x

29. postedAug 30, 2008 3:19 PM
    Apples and Butter

Wow. I love a good Snickerdoodle, but have to admit, have never thought about taking those flavors and throwing them into an ice cream. Thanks for sharing!

30. postedAug 30, 2008 5:20 PM
    CookiePie

Oh no! Hope the little guy gets better quick — I’m sure he will, with all the yummy treats and mommy-love he’s getting :)

31. postedAug 30, 2008 5:59 PM
    Dawn

Yes, the ice cream is way better than that food dye/sugar filled/ chemical filled other stuff.
    Plus ice cream has the calcium that kids need.
    Such a good Mom, wow. Strep throat so early does kind of stink.

32. postedAug 30, 2008 9:54 PM
    noble pig

Oh man I just printed this one. My youngest picky eater, well a snickerdoodle is the only cookie he’ll eat. I have to make this for him.

33. postedAug 31, 2008 1:04 AM
    Ingrid

Hey! That’s sounds good. My kids have just tried Snickerdoodles for the first time -in the form of cake! Maybe next ice cream?

Sorry to hear about your little guy. Hope he’s up running around soon!

~ingrid

34. postedAug 31, 2008 2:35 AM
    Tanya

Oh my, my hubby would LOVE this! Snickerdoodles are one of his very favorite cookies.

35. postedAug 31, 2008 4:27 AM
    Cakebrain

It’s horrible when the little ones are sick. I hate it when they get congested. Funny how I never thought to give my kids ice cream when they’re sick though…it sure would make me feel better!

36. postedSep 1, 2008 4:08 PM
    Rosie

oh boy Snickerdoodle ice cream – yummy! This is a great idea for a flovour!!

Rosie x

37. postedSep 2, 2008 2:38 AM
    Psychgrad

I’m torn. Home made ice cream seems like such a good idea. Plus, recipes like this look delicious. But, I think it would just be really dangerous for me to have ice cream on demand.

38. postedSep 3, 2008 3:43 PM
    Deborah

Your pour little guy! I hope he’s feeling better. But what a great mom you are – making him this delicious ice cream!