Yield: 5 Servings
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 1 hr, 30 min
3 1/2-pound whole chicken
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup lemon curd
3 large lemons, halved
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Discard giblets and neck. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers gently pushing between skin and meat.
3. Combine rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and garlic in a small bowl. Rub mixture under skin and over breast. Lift wing tips over back and tuck under chicken.
4. Place the chicken, breast side up on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Pierce the skin several times with a meat fork. Insert thermometer into meaty part of thigh (don't hit bone). Brush chicken with lemon curd. Arrange lemons around chicken.
5. Bake for 30 minutes at 450. Reduce to 350° F and bake one more hour (or until chicken reaches 180°). Cover chicken loosely with foil if it gets too brown.
6. Once chicken is done, remove from the oven and cover loosely with foil for 10 minutes. Serve with lemon halves.
*Lemon curd can be homemade (see recipe), or it can be purchased in large markets or specialty stores.
If you are preparing this recipe as gluten free, just be sure you are not using a lemon curd that contains gluten.
*After cooking, remove skin for a lighter meal.