Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken and Beans
One of the first crockpot recipes I found that is worth repeating...
- 1 cup dried pinto beans, rinsed
- One 16-ounce jar mild or medium salsa
- 2 Tablespoons chopped canned chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2-pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper (seeds and ribs removed), chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
- In a 5 to 6 quart slowcooker, stir together beans, salsa, chiles, flour and 1 cup water. Season chicken with salt and pepper; arrange on top of bean mixture. Scatter onion and bell pepper on top of chicken.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken from stew; shred into large pieces, and return to stew.
- Serve over brown rice, or inside flour tortillas to make tacos (not included in the nutritional information below. Garnish with cilantro and additional desired toppings.
- Nutritional Information per serving without rice or tortillas (Serving size: 1/4th of the recipe) Calories 278, Fat 3.3g, Saturated Fat 1.5g, Sugar 7.5g, Fiber 11g, Protein 17g, Cholesterol 19mg, Carbohydrates 47g
- WW POINTS: SmartPoints: 9, Points Plus Program: 7, Old Points Program: 6.5