Maple- Apple Tartlets

What do you do with 65 apples?

We took a fabulous drive up into the local mountains of Julian yesterday, where they celebrate apples every Fall season. It was a cloudy and drizzly sort of day… the best for picking apples in an apple orchard.

Over 20 years in San Diego and this was my first time picking my own. I can’t imagine why I’ve waited so long. I’m glad I was able to share this with my son at such an young age. He’s bound and determined to do this every year now (and so am I)!

We browsed apple recipes and found what looked to be a good one in a new cookbook that I received the other day- Eat Feed Autumn Winter: 30 Ways to Celebrate When the Mercury Drops. This one caught my eye simply because I’m a sucker for seasonal cookbooks. There are several fresh, new ideas for seasonal recipes that appeal to me. I can tell I’ll be using this cookbook quite a lot over the next few months. Our choice on this day: Maple Apple Tartlets.

Sliced apple is placed onto a rectangle of puffed pastry, sprinkled with cinnamon/sugar and drizzled with butter.

These apple tartlets were a huge hit with my family. They would be even more wonderful topped with a bit of sweetened whipped cream or a mini-scoop of Vanilla Bean ice cream. SO easy to make, the result is an alarmingly delicious and inviting dessert. This one invited me to eat it rather quickly.

A few dabbles of maple syrup on top ensures that you have most of the fall flavors covered at one time.

Just 62 apples to go…

This recipe can be found here:  Maple- Apple Tartlets

72 Responses to “Maple- Apple Tartlets”

Sylvie — October 6, 2008 @ 9:18 AM

Simply wonderful and I bet they tasted all the better for having picked your own apples!

Girl Japan — October 6, 2008 @ 11:03 AM

65 Apples.. Oh my they are about a 1.50 for one here.. can you imagine… I am so jealous, I wish I had too many apples.. but none the less your recipe (Tarlet) looks amazing, not to mention Apples remind me of fall is actually upon us..

hot garlic — October 6, 2008 @ 12:30 PM

They’re so pretty! And I’m sure it’s only matched by how good they taste. And it seems so simple too!

Mary — October 6, 2008 @ 12:41 PM

What beautiful pictures! And what wonderful memories for your son to carry with him. Thanks for sharing.

Sara — October 6, 2008 @ 1:13 PM

Your tarlets look great. I went to college in San Diego, so I made a trip or two to Julian when I was there. We have a huge granny smith apple tree in the yard, so I’m always looking for good apple recipes!

Barbara Bakes — October 6, 2008 @ 1:20 PM

What a wonderful, simple fall dessert!

Prudy — October 6, 2008 @ 1:31 PM

I love the look of those. They look simple to make but elegant still. How fun to go apple picking. We used to go to Oak Glen in southern CA. Now the closest you pick orchard is about 4 hours away but I’m still going to try and get there this month.

moowiesqrd — October 6, 2008 @ 3:53 PM

Beautiful, Lori! I love baked apples in all forms. Isn’t Julian great? I haven’t been there in ages… we used to drive out all the time to buy pies. Then, I realized I could save a lot of gas and time by learning how to make my own. ;) The apple-picking might call for a road trip.

Zesty Cook — October 6, 2008 @ 4:02 PM

WOW this looks delicious!! Great work. I found your website through sugarlaws… and I am glad I did… Love it!

zesty

Stacey Snacks — October 6, 2008 @ 4:13 PM

I love this recipe.
    I usually make one big one, overlapping the puff pastry.
    I just went apple picking and had to make so many cakes just to use up all of the apples!
    Great photos!
    Stacey Snacks

nicole — October 6, 2008 @ 4:16 PM

Those are so pretty. I’m sure they were just so delicious.

Marisa — October 6, 2008 @ 4:50 PM

That look awesome! I am so glad I checked your blog today because I’m having the same issue. we went to pick apples at an orchard last week for the first time and came home with oodles of apples. So I’m definitely going to try this recipe. I have a couple of awesome one we’ve tried with the apples–so check out my blog if you want b/c there are some good ones we tried. itdinnertime2.blogspot.com

Ari (Baking and Books) — October 6, 2008 @ 4:53 PM

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I love how you used the apples here. If you want more ideas, I posted a few apple recipes recently. :)

You brought back such wonderful memories for me – I used to go to Julian with my family when I was a kid. I loved going up there.

aforkfulofspaghetti — October 6, 2008 @ 5:35 PM

So simple, but so perfect… I’d love one of those right now!

Teresa Cordero Cordell — October 6, 2008 @ 5:57 PM

Lori, the tartlets are perfect. This is such a perfect time of the year for them too. I wrote down your recipe. I’ll have to give them a try this weekend. Thank you my friend.

Patsyk — October 6, 2008 @ 6:42 PM

Oh, that looks so good! I’ve got some puff pastry “bowls” in my freezer… this recipe might work well with those. Yum!

Deborah — October 6, 2008 @ 7:08 PM

I grew up right next to an apple orchard, but we would get into trouble if we were ever caught taking apples!! They didn’t have a “pick-your-own” spot – but I sure wish they did!

This apple tartlet looks like the perfect way to use some of your apples!

Maria — October 6, 2008 @ 7:36 PM

Gorgeous!! What an elegant dessert! Love it!

CookiePie — October 6, 2008 @ 7:43 PM

GORGEOUS tartlets!!! I have a similar recipe in my book. :) I bet they were especially delicious with apples you picked yourself!

HoneyB — October 6, 2008 @ 7:47 PM

Oh HOW YUM!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen — October 6, 2008 @ 8:08 PM

They look absolutely beautiful! Perfect fall treat! And hey, who doesn’t love maple?

Mandy — October 6, 2008 @ 8:36 PM

the apple tartlets look absolutely delectable! I am not surprised that it’s a huge hit at your household! I bet my hubs and I would go totally crazy for them too!

lisaiscooking — October 6, 2008 @ 8:56 PM

It doesn’t feel like fall in Austin yet, but I’m definitely ready to eat fall foods like this! The cinnamon sugar and butter drizzle look amazing.

mysweetestday — October 6, 2008 @ 10:18 PM

perfect! i just went apple picking!

Caviar and Codfish — October 6, 2008 @ 11:06 PM

65 apples!?! Oh, you are a lucky girl! And your fam is even luckier for those tartlets!

Leslie — October 7, 2008 @ 12:50 AM

Evil! These look so Easy and sooooo delish! I cant wait to see what you do with the rest of the apples!

Bunny — October 7, 2008 @ 12:53 AM

I love this, I love apples, I love puff pastry! What a great easy dessert.

Veronica — October 7, 2008 @ 2:56 AM

Oh how incredibly pretty! I love maple and apples. Apple picking is one of my favorite fall things to do.

That Girl — October 7, 2008 @ 3:07 AM

We’re heading out to Julian later this month. I’m SO excited. It’ll be my first time.

Sharon — October 7, 2008 @ 4:13 AM

Such a gorgeous recipe! I miss the “fall feeling’ of the midwest so perhaps I’ll need to make a trip to Julian.

Helene — October 7, 2008 @ 4:30 AM

You need to make an apple crisp also. I love your tartlets. Beautiful.

Bridgett — October 7, 2008 @ 5:30 AM

In Northern California there is a place called Apple Hill where you can go and pick an array of apples from several large orchards. I try to get up there each year, mainly for the view as well. These little tarts not only look lovely but I can just imagine the taste. Wonderful!

Pam — October 7, 2008 @ 6:01 AM

So cute and delicious too. I love the addition of maple.

alexandra's kitchen — October 7, 2008 @ 7:08 AM

those are so elegant! puff pastry is magical.

VeggieGirl — October 7, 2008 @ 10:16 AM

Hooray for apple-picking and GORRRRRGEOUS tartlets!!

Patricia Scarpin — October 7, 2008 @ 1:00 PM

That is a fabulous way of having fruit! Those tarlets are so golden, beautiful!
    I wish I lived nearby – I’d love to help you with all those apples!

Bren@ Flanboyant Eats — October 7, 2008 @ 1:01 PM

OH MY GOODNESS these tartlets look so darn good. aren’t u able to pack some up!?!?! :)

Grace — October 7, 2008 @ 1:26 PM

simply put, these are stunning. this recipe shall be saved for the next time i have company i really want to impress. :)

Katrina — October 7, 2008 @ 1:31 PM

You are fall recipe queen! Looks so good. I love apples and I love puff pastry, add a little maple, great combo.

Olga — October 7, 2008 @ 2:43 PM

These look so pretty: as if they came out of a professional bakery!

Rindy R — October 7, 2008 @ 2:52 PM

Those are too pretty to eat- although I would eat one! Yum!

Peter M — October 7, 2008 @ 2:54 PM

This is a classy little tart…simple and so pretty.

Lisa — October 7, 2008 @ 3:21 PM

I love the way these look. I idd an apple post today too:)

Cookie baker Lynn — October 7, 2008 @ 3:29 PM

Recipes that easy and delicious are so dangerous. I’d be making that every day for the next 65 days. Well, probably a few of those apples would have to be in apple pies, too.

Hillary — October 7, 2008 @ 3:48 PM

I love apple picking! This recipe is impressive too – thanks for something new!

aurora — October 7, 2008 @ 4:00 PM

Holy Moly does that look amazing! Thanks for the recipe.
    Oh, and I HEART your blog! ;)

RecipeGirl's Mom — October 7, 2008 @ 4:01 PM

What a beautiful presentation!

Wish I was with the little guy and my daughter to share the “apple picking day” and of course to sample the delicious result.

Maris — October 7, 2008 @ 4:04 PM

This sounds great! I love apples and I love maple syrup so what a great recipe :) I have some apples leftover from a harvest festival 2 weeks ago so I might have to try this out.

Love your blog!

Jessie — October 7, 2008 @ 4:05 PM

Oh yum! These look great! So impressive and pretty and so simple! I love it!

+Jessie
    a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

Sandie — October 7, 2008 @ 4:06 PM

Well those are about the cutest tartlets I’ve ever seen. Only 62 apples to go, huh? Can’t wait to see what’s next!

Jenny — October 7, 2008 @ 4:36 PM

Cute! They look so yummy too!

Aggie — October 7, 2008 @ 5:29 PM

Wow, these look so rustic and delicious! I bet they tasted wonderful!

Marysol — October 7, 2008 @ 6:04 PM

We went apple picking over the weekend and our troops nearly ate all the apples on the way back. It was a hungry crowd and a long drive home [g]

But, you have used your apples to create a very sweet masterpiece!

Rosie — October 7, 2008 @ 6:33 PM

Simply gorgeous apples and picked by your own fair hands. Your tarlets look stunning!

Rosie x

Any Little Reason — October 7, 2008 @ 7:19 PM

Those look amazing! I can’t read about tartlets without being reminded of the Friends episode with Jon Lovitz as a stoned restaurateur – anyway, a beautiful dessert!

Mike of Mike's Table — October 7, 2008 @ 8:22 PM

That’s a whole lot of apples! The tartlets look great and are a great way to start putting a dent in that stockpile. I miss apple picking–there’s no such thing here down south!

Laura — October 7, 2008 @ 11:28 PM

Oh My Gosh that looks good! I want one NOW.

Simply...Gluten-free — October 7, 2008 @ 11:38 PM

Lovely tarts! I am sure they were even better since you picked the apples yourself!

Nina Timm — October 8, 2008 @ 6:30 AM

It is rather strange, but I have a photo that looks exactly like the first one on your post…great minds think alike.Mine was taken here in the Western Cape on an apple farm…
    I like the simplicity of the apple pie….delicious!!!

mikky — October 8, 2008 @ 8:21 AM

what a great presentation!!! looks yummy too… :)

canarygirl — October 8, 2008 @ 9:48 AM

Oh….YUM! And pretty! And did I mention YUM?! Maple + apples + puff pastry = heaven.

anudivya — October 8, 2008 @ 3:17 PM

65 apples, I wouldn’t have a clue! But if I do land up with those many, I know where to look now :)
    Those tartlets look amazing.

Proud Italian Cook — October 8, 2008 @ 6:38 PM

So simple and so elegant at the same time! The maple takes it to another level! yummmm!

noble pig — October 8, 2008 @ 10:30 PM

I haven’t been to Julian since my days in So Cal. I love it there, especially the apple pie.

Judy@nofearentertaining — October 8, 2008 @ 11:49 PM

Yummmm. That looks wonderful. That sure is a lot of apples though. You could always make apple sauce and freeze it I guess! I can’t wait to try this recipe though!

JenHunsaker — October 10, 2008 @ 7:02 PM

Do you recommend the place you picked apples in Julian? We were thinking of going this weekend. Thanks!

RecipeGirl — October 10, 2008 @ 9:55 PM

Hi Jen,
    I wish I could remember the name of the orchard. There are so many that we just googled Julian Apple Orchards, got a general idea of where they were and then found one when we got up there. Heading east from Ramona, we turned left on Wynola Road and it was the first orchard on the right. Nice place and nice people. Have fun!

LyB — October 11, 2008 @ 2:06 AM

I love that last pic with the tart over the apples, very nice!

Lori Lynn — October 11, 2008 @ 6:16 PM

I love the look of these and how you photographed them on the apples. Great addition that maple.

The Food Librarian — October 12, 2008 @ 8:15 PM

Wonderful! These look delicious and easy to make. So pretty!

rhid — October 21, 2008 @ 4:01 AM

These look delicious – fresh, crunchy full of cinnamon and sugar.

Sharon — October 28, 2008 @ 12:03 AM

Hi Lori,
    We were thinking about going to Julian this weekend for some fun fall activities and I remember you posting about your trip! Do you remember the name of the orchard you went to? We’ve never been to Julian so any suggestions would be awesome!

Thanks :)