GREEK THREE- CHEESE SPINACH & ONION POT PIE
PHYLLO PASTRY TOPPING:
6 sheets phyllo pastry (about 17×13-inches each), defrosted if frozen
3 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
1 Tbs olive oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
Two 10-ounce packages frozen, chopped spinach, defrosted
2 cups ricotta cheese
8 oz feta cheese, crumbled
8 oz jack cheese, grated
2 large eggs
3 Tbs finely chopped fresh dill
3 Tbs finely chopped fresh parsley
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
2. Stack 6 phyllo pastry sheets. Using bottom of baking dish as a guide and kitchen scissors, cut 6 pieces of phyllo 1 inch larger all around than baking dish. Immediately cover cut sheets of phyllo completely with plastic wrap and damp dish towel. Set aside.
3. In a medium frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat for about 1 minute. Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Set aside.
4. Place spinach in a strainer resting over a medium bowl and press firmly on spinach to press out liquid. Discard liquid.
5. In a large bowl, stir together onion, drained spinach, ricotta, feta, jack cheese, eggs, dill, parsley, salt and black pepper. Spread half of filling in baking dish. Cover with 2 pieces of the phyllo pastry. Brush pastry lightly with melted butter. Top with one piece of phyllo. Tuck in any overhanging edges. Spread remaining filling over phyllo. Top with 2 more pieces of phyllo and brush lightly with butter. Top with remaining phyllo sheet and brush with butter. Use a sharp knife to mark 12 squares by cutting through top layers of pastry.
6. Bake until phyllo topping is golden and filling is bubbling gently, about 45 minutes. Use sharp knife to cut through marked squares. Remove squares and serve hot.
*If covered tightly and refrigerated, this pot pie can be assembled early in the day and baked later. Cold pot pie will probably need to bake an additional 5 minutes.
Recipe Source: Real Food
PRINT THIS RECIPE using your browser’s ‘print’ function. It’s automatically formatted to print recipe & picture only.
RATE THIS RECIPE[ratings]