Luscious Noodle-Free Lasagna
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 40 min
1/2 pound (7 1/2 cups) fresh spinach
2 pounds zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick slices
15 ounces part skim ricotta
1 large egg white
1/2 cup grated Parmesan, divided
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
One 14.5 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
1/2 small yellow or red onion, quartered
1 clove garlic
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray; heat over high heat. Add spinach; stir until leaves wilt, about 5 minutes. Place in a colander.
3. Coat skillet with cooking spray again; heat over high heat. Cook zucchini in batches, 2 to 3 minutes per side; drain on paper towels. Squeeze excess moisture from spinach. Mix spinach, ricotta, egg white, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, basil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and nutmeg in a bowl; set aside.
4. In a food processor, puree tomatoes, onion, garlic, pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Spread half of the sauce on the bottom of the prepared pan. Layer zucchini on top, then half of the ricotta mixture. Add a layer of zucchini and remaining half of ricotta and sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan.
5. Bake, uncovered, until cheese browns, about 30 minutes. Cool slightly before cutting.
SOURCE: RecipeGirl.com (via Self)