1 cup butter, softened
½ cup powdered sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking powder
zest of 2 lemons
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp dried culinary lavender
2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
1 to 2 Tbs lemon juice (more or less)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar together.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
4. Stir lemon zest into butter/sugar mixture. Then stir in dry ingredients.
5. Pat mixture into an 8-inch round or square pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
6. While shortbread is baking, prepare icing. Mix all ingredients together, adding lemon juice until a desired consistency is reached. If it ends up too soupy, thicken it up a bit with more powdered sugar. Too thick… add more lemon juice. It should be just thin enough to drizzle onto the shortbread, but not so thin that it won’t set. Drizzle on shortbread while it’s still warm. Let cool completely and refrigerate until icing is set.
7. Cut into wedges or squares and serve.
Yield: About 18 pieces of shortbread
Adapted from “Cyndi L” CLBB
PRINT THIS RECIPE using your browser’s ‘print’ function. It’s automatically formatted to print recipe & picture only.
RATE THIS RECIPE[ratings]
“Terrific lemony shortbread recipe with a very flavorful, unique icing.”
-San Diego, CA