Chocolate- Almond Toffee

You know the stuff… pink wrapping… chocolate & toffee rolled in almonds… Almond Roca? It’s just about my favorite thing in the whole world. Dangerous stuff that roca is. I can’t have it in my house for fear of a major gorge-fest.

I tempted danger though and made my own homemade Chocolate- Almond Toffee. Surely I could tuck it away in the freezer and resist temptation, right?

The recipe isn’t really complicated. Sugar, butter and corn syrup bubble away until turning caramel-colored. You must have a candy thermometer though to get the toffee part just right. Too cool and it won’t set correctly. Too hot and you’ll have burnt toffee.

When ready, the mixture is pulled from the heat and mixed with a handful toasted almonds.

The toffee is then poured onto a cookie sheet and quickly spread out. It will begin to set almost immediately. A short visit to the refrigerator will ensure that the toffee with harden enough for the next step.

Melted chocolate is spread upon the chilled toffee.

Toasted almonds are sprinkled on top of the chocolate and lightly pressed down to stick. Once hardened, the entire ‘sheet’ of toffee can be easily lifted off of the cookie sheet and broken apart into smaller pieces.

Ready for consumption… or packaging… or giving away… or freezing! I’m happy to say that my batch is safely stowed away in the depths of my freezer- awaiting the time that I put together my holiday goodie trays.

This recipe can be found HERE.

37 Responses to “Chocolate- Almond Toffee”

1. postedDec 9, 2008 1:15 PM

My sister and I made this last year at Christmas , and yes it’s very dangerous!!!

2. postedDec 9, 2008 1:25 PM

If you feel the temptation is too strong, you can always send it my way and I’ll take real good care of it for you! :-p

3. postedDec 9, 2008 2:31 PM
    Barbara Bakes

I especially love the picture of the chocolate spreading over the toffee – yum!

4. postedDec 9, 2008 2:34 PM
    Snooky doodle

oh my!! one recipe better then the other. these look so yummy :)

5. postedDec 9, 2008 3:20 PM

Every Christmas this is the only thing that my great-grandmother asks for. My mom has been sending her packs of it for as long as I can remember. I had never thought of making it at home – thanks for the recipe!!

6. postedDec 9, 2008 3:36 PM

Love almonds! This looks wonderful.

7. postedDec 9, 2008 4:18 PM

My Mom and I make our toffees every year. We each have a slightly different version. I didn’t know it was freezable–great to know!

8. postedDec 9, 2008 4:28 PM

Toffee is my favorite and homemade is the best!! I haven’t had time for it this year though. My list is too long!

9. postedDec 9, 2008 5:21 PM

Oh my goodness, does this look delicious. I love toffee!

10. postedDec 9, 2008 5:34 PM

The amount of times I’ve told myself I could resist something if I kept it in the freezer… I’ve quite genuinely ended up eating lumps of frozen raw chocolate chip cookie dough straight from the freezer before! (Sounds so wrong, tastes so right; it’s like cookie dough icecream without the icecream). I don’t think I could resist this; it looks amazing!

11. postedDec 9, 2008 7:17 PM
    Nina Timm

Holy moly, I could never keep this in my house…never! Maybe I should try it when we go to the beach house where I know they will gobble it up in one sitting!!!

12. postedDec 9, 2008 7:46 PM
    Peter M

Lori, I think you should bundle these, package them in bows and send them out as gifts…starting with your “friends” up in Canada! 😉

13. postedDec 9, 2008 8:58 PM
    The Peanut Butter Boy

Unbelievable. What a perfect gift and I love the layers. Quite dangerous indeed, I don’t think I’d make it for myself…

14. postedDec 9, 2008 9:39 PM

Ya, I need to pay more attention when trying out new bread recipes and cookie recipes. Those cranberry cookies sure were tasty. Hopefully I’ll get it figured out the next time I make them, and believe me I will.

Real Mom Kitchen

15. postedDec 9, 2008 9:46 PM

I attempted a similar recipe the other day and totally failed at it. I’m not a very good candy maker…but I’m going to keep trying until I succeed!

16. postedDec 9, 2008 10:35 PM
    That Girl

It came out so pretty!

17. postedDec 9, 2008 10:57 PM
    The Sugar Fairy

I should have asked for a candy thermometer for Christmas! They are so tempting.

18. postedDec 10, 2008 1:37 AM

They came out gorgeous! You have great will power!!

19. postedDec 10, 2008 4:54 AM

I love toffee and it the almond slivers make it even more tempting. This looks fantastic!

20. postedDec 10, 2008 5:07 AM

My, didn’t that work perfectly?!?! Awesome!
    I need a new candy thermometer, though. Mine’s not broken, but the design of the clip isn’t so good, so the bulb sinks to the bottom and gives too high a reading.

21. postedDec 10, 2008 5:48 AM

What an awesome color, I could just eat them with my eyes if that was possible…

22. postedDec 10, 2008 6:15 AM

23. postedDec 10, 2008 7:13 AM

OMG, give me chocolate anything, I’ll be happy!
    Your almond toffee is a must list to try!

24. postedDec 10, 2008 7:58 AM
    noble pig

I love how it just lifted out of the tray…awesome! I bought the Costco sized tub of Roca and OMG I can’t stop.

25. postedDec 10, 2008 9:47 AM

wow… looks so perfect for this holiday season… :)

26. postedDec 10, 2008 1:53 PM
    Robin Sue

Wow you go girl- this looks fantastic! Loved the peanut butter cookies below too! Man I have to get baking soon!

27. postedDec 10, 2008 2:39 PM

I have made it it is wonderful. I just place chocolate chips on top and they melt from the warmth of the mixture. Works wonderfully and saves time.

28. postedDec 10, 2008 5:31 PM

Oh-My-Goodness, that looks amazing! I may have to add that to my list for this year!

29. postedDec 10, 2008 6:57 PM

for the past 4 or 5 years i’ve made this stuff with every intention to hand it out to my friends and neighbors. sadly, a great deal of it ends up in my belly. :)

30. postedDec 10, 2008 9:11 PM

I recently found out that my family and I really like toffee. being a huge fan of almonds as well means this is going to be a hit!

I hope it’s okay but I’ve added you to my blogroll, THX!

31. postedDec 10, 2008 11:12 PM

yummy, yummy! i need to buy a candy thermometer in order to make this wonderful treat!

32. postedDec 11, 2008 6:28 AM

Oh, that looks delicious. I made some last year and tried to keep it hidden in the laundry room.
    Sadly, the old adage: “out of sight, out of mind” didn’t work for me.

Hope you’ll have better luck.

33. postedDec 11, 2008 3:31 PM

Couldnt resist this one!!

34. postedDec 13, 2008 2:18 PM

You’re so right about Almond Roca being dangerous stuff! I had my first taste around the Holidays a few years ago and, like you, I can’t have it in the house! The homemade version must be even better though, it looks fantastic. :)

35. postedDec 13, 2008 8:02 PM

I absolutely adore toffee. I’ve never tried making it on my own though. You’re very inspiring and I might just try to one day, thanks!

36. postedDec 14, 2008 2:57 PM

Divine and dangerous! Toffee is my downfall. I could probably polish off that whole batch myself!

37. postedJan 1, 2015 11:08 AM
    Wanda Seale

The candy is so,so good! Last year I made it and everyone loved it. This year when I made it, I got impatient and only cooked it to 275 degrees, or soft crack stage. Now, that is what family and friends want. It’s New Year’s day and I’m making another batch to send to my grandson in Colorado.