Triple Vanilla-Bean Bars

I confess that I’m a Vanilla Gal. When faced with the ‘chocolate or vanilla’ dilemma, it’s never a dilemma for me. Chocolate doesn’t do wonders for my skin and I can’t handle the caffeine very well. Don’t get me wrong… I buy chocolate, I blog about chocolate, and I even eat it & enjoy it… but vanilla is most definitely the preferred choice for me.

That may be why this recipe appealed to me: Triple Vanilla-Bean Bars. This little treat accompanied me to a New Year’s Eve get-together.

Here’s the ‘How-To’:

Triple vanilla = scraped vanilla bean, vanilla extract and melted vanilla baking chips. Mixed with brownie-like ingredients, it’s baked into one big bar. The bar dumps easily out of the pan and is topped with a vanilla icing.

I went nuts with a little extra melted chocolate decor (after all, it was New Year’s Eve). I just melted a few chocolate chips w/ a dab of shortening and spooned it into a zip top baggie… then I snipped the corner and drizzled away.

Since I prefer to cut the edges off of my bars before cutting them into nicely shaped squares, I didn’t worry too much about getting the icing all the way to the edges. I always use the edges to sample my product!

Super tip: It is much easier to cut clean squares when bars & brownies are chilled. Use a long, sharp, thin knife, and wipe it with a paper towel after each cut.

Up close yummyness. These were very moist and very sweet. I believe that you must be a lover of vanilla to enjoy them. I loved them, of course. And it seems that all of the other samplers enjoyed them too as they slowly disappeared from their platter throughout the evening.

This recipe can be found here:  Triple Vanilla Bean Bars

46 Responses to “Triple Vanilla-Bean Bars”

Patricia Scarpin — January 6, 2009 @ 11:10 AM

These are tempting! I have become a vanilla fan ever since trying the real thing. :)

Robin Sue — January 6, 2009 @ 11:59 AM

Lori you have decorated these so prettily! I am a vanilla fan too. My favorite ice cream is vanilla- so plain but I love it!

Kara — January 6, 2009 @ 2:24 PM

So glad you mentioned how you make such clean cuts in your brownies and bars! I was going to ask! And I love the look of these – for some reason, the design reminds me of a tuxedo – perfect for New Year’s Eve!

Judy@nofearentertaining — January 6, 2009 @ 3:25 PM

Those look really good and I am with you on the vanilla. Too bad I live in a house full of chocolate lovers!

Tammy — January 6, 2009 @ 3:33 PM

What a beautiful job decorating! I’m adding these to my list of things to make. They look delicious!

Janna — January 6, 2009 @ 3:40 PM

These are so pretty! Yum!!

kim — January 6, 2009 @ 3:53 PM

I love vanilla! (and chocolate too, hehe) They look delicious and the decoration on top is pretty!

WishTrish — January 6, 2009 @ 4:33 PM

Oh these are a MUST try for me. I can’t wait. Maybe I’ll try them on the family tonight… It’s the first day back to school here, they deserve something special, don’t ya think?

Thanks for sharing!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer — January 6, 2009 @ 4:37 PM

I am with you – I am all about the vanilla!!! Looks great and I am sure incredibly yummy!!! Thanks for the tips as well!!

Culinarywannabe — January 6, 2009 @ 4:43 PM

These look beautiful! I’m sure everyone at the party loved them. Happy New Year!

Barbara Bakes — January 6, 2009 @ 4:44 PM

My husband loves the brownie edges, but I’m with you I think they’re better cut off! This sounds delicious!

Maria — January 6, 2009 @ 4:56 PM

I love the design! I love vanilla too. It is classic!

Ingrid — January 6, 2009 @ 5:10 PM

I'm a "vanilla gal" too! Not many out there. The only reason I make and eat chocolate desserts now is because of all the wonderful photos and recipes of them floating around the blogoshere. Prior to blogging I wouldn't dream of making anything other than brownies, from a box, plain & I didn't eat up.

I going to print out the recipe for the bars. I don't have vanilla beans, I do have the paste, how should I successfully sub for the missing bean? Or should I just bite the bullet & order some?
    Thank you!!
    ~ingrid

Patsyk — January 6, 2009 @ 5:26 PM

I prefer chocolate myself, but these bars look amazing and I’d probably eat the whole batch by myself!

They look beautiful, to boot!

Marysol — January 6, 2009 @ 6:27 PM

I’m also a chocolate/vanilla gal, so of course, I’d love those bars.

Kathy — January 6, 2009 @ 6:32 PM

Looks very yummy!!! I used to be a chocoholic but something happened to me a couple of years ago – I now prefer salty stuff!!! What is wrong with me?!?!?! Maybe it’s hormones? Anyway, I miss sweet foods but every time I make them – they don’t really do it for me anymore. I’m gonna try one more time on this recipe. Hopefully I’ll find a new “keeper”!!!

Here’s a little tip I learned awhile back – you can cut your brownies straight out of the oven and not make a mess as long as you use a plastic knife! You don’t even have to chill them!!! Works every time!!!

That Girl — January 6, 2009 @ 7:27 PM

I will always choose vanilla over chocolate – these look way better than brownies!

Half Baked — January 6, 2009 @ 8:32 PM

These bars look just beautiful! I love the way you’ve decorated them.

Snooky doodle — January 6, 2009 @ 9:13 PM

this looks so nice. i like it its really interesting . nice variation to the usual boring brownies :)

Bunny — January 6, 2009 @ 9:16 PM

I prefer vanilla too, so much more you can do with it. I can see how moist these are! Nice decorating job too!

Dawn — January 6, 2009 @ 11:32 PM

I love using vanilla beans! One of my very favorite items to bake with…hate the fact that they are expensive though.
    These bars are just so pretty, you have a steady hand for decorating indeed.

Girl Japan — January 6, 2009 @ 11:32 PM

Man… the presentation is well.. AWESOME and you are really spoiling us here with all these fabulous pictures of good eats… come on… TRIPLE Vanilla.. you had me at Vanilla!

Ellie from Kitchen Caravan — January 6, 2009 @ 11:50 PM

We’re highlighting Vanilla sometime in the next few weeks. Come check us out!

Heather — January 7, 2009 @ 12:42 AM

i love vanilla too. the first step is admitting you have a problem ;) a big, vanilla bean scented problem ;)

?Reeni — January 7, 2009 @ 1:32 AM

I’m a big fan of vanilla, too and these bars, pretty and yummy!

Bridgett — January 7, 2009 @ 4:16 AM

These look almost too pretty to cut into, but too delicious to pass up!

Stacey Snacks — January 7, 2009 @ 4:32 AM

You are back to your old tricks!
    Gorgeous baking!!
    Good, I like the pictures and dream about all the yummy treats!
    Stacey

The Peanut Butter Boy — January 7, 2009 @ 5:02 AM

What an incredible presentation, I can only imagine how incredible these must taste!

Rhyleysgranny — January 7, 2009 @ 10:36 AM

These look lovely. Beautifully decorated too. I like the idea of trimming the edges. So simple but I never thought of it. I hate the end bits. Thank you

VeggieGirl — January 7, 2009 @ 12:46 PM

Another sumptuous winner!! :-)

Nina Timm — January 7, 2009 @ 1:53 PM

Aahh, the sweet tooth is back! These bars look indeed very moist and yummee!

LilSis — January 7, 2009 @ 6:15 PM

Oh my goodness! Those look amazing! Finally I hear someone else mention the caffeine issue with chocolate. I think that's why I don't bake more. I can't eat chocolate at all because of the caffeine and the majority of cookies have chocolate. (My family gets either ice cream or M&M's and kisses instead of homemade cookies.)

What do you think these would be like if you left the chocolate decoration off the top? Any ideas for a substitute?

Manggy — January 7, 2009 @ 6:31 PM

Ooh, yum. I have to say that I vacillate between chocolate and vanilla. The former can get overwhelming at times but I don’t think I could live without it either. In any case, I can forget about it if I could just have one of these bars!

Aimée — January 7, 2009 @ 7:07 PM

These bars are an ideal way to ring in the New Year!
    All the best for 2009, Lori!

Peter M — January 7, 2009 @ 7:18 PM

Moist is always a good adjective but I have to commend you on your decorating skills…the effort shows.

Clumbsy Cookie — January 7, 2009 @ 7:19 PM

So that’s actually quadruple vanilla bars, if we count the icing! To me more vanilla the better, so this sounds yummy to me! Love seeing the black vanilla dots in the bars!

Colleen — January 7, 2009 @ 7:49 PM

I’m a vanilla gal too – these look great!

Leslie — January 7, 2009 @ 8:28 PM

so very pretty and soooo yummy!

Ben — January 8, 2009 @ 3:29 AM

Oh very nice! But when I face that dilemma I always have to go with chocolate. I could die eating chocolate :-p

Sharon — January 8, 2009 @ 4:22 AM

Hmm, I love chocolate desserts but will definitely take vanilla ice cream any day! Your dessert is so pretty!

CookiePie — January 8, 2009 @ 5:25 AM

Those are so beautiful! I absolutely love anything vanilla, especially when you can see the little seeds!

Grace — January 8, 2009 @ 5:40 PM

moist. moist and flavorful. moist and flavorful and nicely-decorated. bravo. :)

Julie — January 8, 2009 @ 11:37 PM

Those look so festive and pretty. I love chocolate, but I’ve got no problem with vanilla. Just don’t tell the chocolate about it.

Katrina — January 8, 2009 @ 11:42 PM

Awesome decor job. And woah, YUM!

noble pig — January 9, 2009 @ 1:52 AM

These are seriously beautiful. I love your handiwork on the top too. I love vanilla too..it’s probably a tie with chocolate!

Maggie — January 11, 2009 @ 3:47 AM

These look and sound awesome! I’m much more of a vanilla girl too. I have to say that even though they look pretty, I’d be so sad if you trimmed them for me. I love the corner pieces on brownies and blondies.