Agave & Honey Oatmeal M&M Cookies

If I could bake every day, I’d be one happy girl. It doesn’t really matter what I bake, I enjoy seeing the outcome and I love to make it pretty. I’m determined that my love of baking will not be deterred by my newfound healthy eating venture. The challenge is to learn to sample, as a good baker should, but not indulge.

This healthy cookie recipe popped up on Anna’s blog- Cookie Madness on the very day I began my journey into healthy eating. I knew it would be a good snack for my little one, and I thought it might be a nice choice for me too: Agave & Honey Oatmeal M&M Cookies.

These cookies are sweetened only with honey and agave nectar. If you’re not familiar with agave nectar, you can find it at Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, or other specialty or health food markets. The recipe calls for whole wheat pastry flour and toasted wheat germ. I subbed ground flaxseed for the wheat germ for a little added fiber.

Anna made hers with raisins. I thought I might be a bit more successful in getting my kiddo to eat these ‘healthy’ cookies if I left out the raisins and studded a few M&M’s on top. We happened to have some of those mini M&M’s leftover from Halloween. The kid had fun doing the ‘studding’ part, putting all of his favorite colors on ‘his’ cookie.

These oatmeal cookies stay pretty thick- not a lot of spreading out. They’re not a crispy or cakey cookie. The texture is a little like a dense granola bar. The spattering of M&M’s on top was a perfect addition to give them a bit more pizzazz and sweetness. The kiddo loved them… I’ve been tucking them into his lunch all week. The husband enjoyed them too. I sampled one (sans M&M’s), and it sure felt like an indulgent treat after all of my wise food choices. The best part about these cookies… this recipe makes only 8 cookies- just enough so that true indulgence is barely an option.

Anna- I’m quite sure you are the happy everyday baker. And I’d like to learn your secret for how to stay so thin with all of that sampling that you must have to do! Thanks for another great cookie recipe :)

Anna’s recipe for these cookies can be found here

My slightly modified version of this cookie recipe can be found here:  Agave and Honey Oatmeal M&M Cookies

35 Responses to “Agave & Honey Oatmeal M&M Cookies”

1. postedJan 16, 2009 11:40 AM
    Girl Japan

Hey, you can always nibble in moderation.. hehe

Now this recipe is truly unique!!! I am glad you are off to a great start on your healthy lifestyle… no matter what I eat I try and clock 10,000 steps a day.. nearly three mils.. tough but I don’t have to feel guilty when I eat and still I lost weight = )

2. postedJan 16, 2009 12:43 PM

Wow- These look awesome. Honey, oatmeal, m&m's oh my. Delectable, kid-friendly. Just perfect. Thank you!

3. postedJan 16, 2009 12:54 PM

I love the colour the M&Ms add. They look fun and yummy.

4. postedJan 16, 2009 1:58 PM
    Barbara Bakes

I’ve been seeing a lot of recipes lately with agave nectar. I’m going to have to google it and give them a try.

5. postedJan 16, 2009 2:00 PM
    Nina Timm

Moderation is just about the only “diet” word I can handle….these cookies are indeed a step in the healthier direction!Well done!

6. postedJan 16, 2009 2:38 PM

I’m like you! I could be so happy to be in the kitchen baking everyday! I’d be as big as a barn if I was though. he he. These look amazing!

7. postedJan 16, 2009 3:02 PM
    Robin Sue

Now that is a nice cookie. I have never baked with agave so this is a new thing for me. I would go with the m&m's too, don't like raisens!

8. postedJan 16, 2009 3:44 PM

Yum! I could bake everyday too! It’s so much fun and actually relaxing to me. I love cookies and these look great.

9. postedJan 16, 2009 3:59 PM
    aleta meadowlark

Don’t tempt me with cookies!!

And yes, I HIGHLY recommend Mezcal . . . all of the food has complex and delicious texture, and they make the guacamole to order in these big stone mortars. And it’s very easy to eat light there, which is unusual for mexican!

10. postedJan 16, 2009 4:29 PM

I’m going to have to hit TJ’s to get some agave nectar so I can try these. Thanks for telling us where to find it! I enjoy recipes like this that make “just enough” so that you can’t over-indulge.

11. postedJan 16, 2009 4:38 PM
    That Girl

I’m with Girl Japan, everything in moderation.

12. postedJan 16, 2009 5:23 PM
    Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer

This is a great recipe and I am a big fan of Agave these days – it is a great substitute and has such great flavor!!

13. postedJan 16, 2009 6:14 PM

I could bake every day too–for the same reasons (except my stuff rarely looks so pretty). I think my name has been cursed by DH's dieting co-workers, because that is where I tend to send a lot of our stuff. Not enough probably, but a lot.

These look good. I just bought Valentine's M&Ms to use in a baked cookie with the kids so maybe we will give this a try.

14. postedJan 16, 2009 6:28 PM

I’m so glad your making healthy snack choices.. it will be nice to have a collection of yummy recipes to find from your collection!

15. postedJan 16, 2009 7:27 PM

This looks like my kind of healthy eating!! I’d much rather have these than a granola bar. So pretty too!

16. postedJan 16, 2009 8:28 PM

These look great and so healthy!!! M&M's in cookies are yummy!!

17. postedJan 16, 2009 11:41 PM

They look great, Lori. I made them too. Pretty good “healthy” cookie! I did raisins. Can’t wait to try the chocolate version! 😉

18. postedJan 17, 2009 12:19 AM
    noble pig

The M&M/s are must for the kids to eat them. I love agave nectar too so in a cookie why not!

19. postedJan 17, 2009 3:51 AM
    Free Printable Coupons

Online coupons, free coupons, grocery coupons, restaurant coupons and more. Search for online coupons at

20. postedJan 17, 2009 5:11 AM
    The Peanut Butter Boy

I’m all for making healthy treats. I love whole wheat pastry flour, it’s never failed me for baking. The only problem when I make healthier treats is that I tend to eat about 4 times as many because I consider them “healthy” but still gotta watch out for all that sugar!

21. postedJan 17, 2009 7:50 AM

It’s time most of us are cooking healthier and I have stopped baking the past fifteen days and I miss it so much. However, they are great for the kids but I wonder how you can keep away from them especially now that you are on diet. I know I couldn’t.

22. postedJan 17, 2009 11:33 AM
    Gretchen Noelle

What a tasty yet healthy cookie! Great job with is, glad you could indulge just a bit!

23. postedJan 17, 2009 1:18 PM

Ooooh, delightful!! And I too wish that I could bake everyday :-)

24. postedJan 17, 2009 3:29 PM

they certainly don’t look like the bland, disgusting things marketed as “healthy cookies,” and that’s for sure. good stuff.

25. postedJan 17, 2009 4:54 PM

What a pretty oatmeal cookies. I love the addition of M&M. Perfect for me.

26. postedJan 17, 2009 8:45 PM

yay! oatmeal cookies! they’re perfect. i see loads of recipes calling for agave nectar. i’ve never tried it myself..i’m intrigued!

27. postedJan 17, 2009 9:00 PM
    Snooky doodle

these cookies look yummy i really like how you decorated them. nice and healthy treat :)

28. postedJan 17, 2009 9:19 PM

hi first time here n boy those cookies are so enticing…;p

29. postedJan 17, 2009 11:20 PM

I bow down to you on your new adventure :) With treats like these you can’t get very crave-y! Best part is agave nectar is cheaper here in the States than in Manila!

30. postedJan 18, 2009 3:22 AM
    Cookie baker Lynn

I picked up some agave nectar on a whim and have wondered what to do with it. My husband was disappointed that it doesn’t taste like tequila, but I don’t think he’d be disappointed by these cookies!

31. postedJan 18, 2009 4:24 AM

How about raisins AND M&M baking chips (best of both worlds)? I just happen to have agave nectar hanging out in my pantry. Think I'll be giving these cookies a whirl.

32. postedJan 18, 2009 12:47 PM

Yum!! Beautiful cookies, and hey — oatmeal is really good for you! :) No matter how healthy your diet, a cookie is one of life’s great pleasures (especially your cookies!).

33. postedJan 19, 2009 8:24 PM

I definitely need to find more ways to bake with agave. this one looks perfect and a good way to introduce it to the kids.

34. postedJan 19, 2009 8:40 PM
    Sarena Shasteen

I am always looking for healthier ways to use up the kids candy supply from holidays! This one looks like a good one for many of the leftover candy bars!

35. postedJan 19, 2009 9:30 PM
    Clumbsy Cookie

I remember seeing those on Anna's. I like your m&ms addition! Good luck on the healthy life style!