Super Bowl Party Recipes: Chorizo, Bean & Cheese Nachos

Taking a little break from ‘healthy blog posting,’ I’ll be doing a series of recipes this week that are good ideas for Superbowl Parties (or just to snack on during the big game). Everyone around here (San Diego) was hoping our Chargers would make an appearance in the Super Bowl this year. Unfortunately, that won’t happen, but we sure had fun hosting a couple of Playoff Parties where our Chargers attempted to advance.

Mexican food is plentiful here in Southern California, and nachos are always on the menu. Nachos also make for good football food. Who doesn’t love an appetizer dripping with melted cheese and sour cream? There are lots of ways to make them… I tried Emeril’s version: Chorizo, Bean and Cheese Nachos.

Here’s the How-To:

Mexican chorizo sausage (usually available in your market’s sausage section) is removed from its casings and crumbled into a pan. It’s sauteed with garlic and a few spices until the fat is rendered. Luckily, you get rid of the fat and let the sausage drain on paper towels. If you don’t have access to chorizo, you can certainly substitute sweet/hot Italian sausage or ground beef.

Canned pinto beans are rinsed and drained. Then they’re heated in the pan with water and a few added spices. Simply mash them up a bit and you’ll have your ‘homemade’ refried beans.

To assemble the nachos: spread chips into a casserole dish.

Sprinkle half of the cooked chorizo and half of the beans on top of the chips.

Spread a handful of pepper jack and sharp cheddar cheeses over the top. Add a few jalapenos too.

One more layer of chips, chorizo, beans, cheese, etc. Pile it up high! Into the oven it goes… to melt all of that cheese.

Ready for eating… add a bit of lime-tainted sour cream and freshly chopped cilantro.

This platter of nachos was devoured in no time by a bunch of nail-biting Chargers’ fans (the game was close)! This was some good grub. It was a very ‘manly’ sort of appetizer… piled high with lots of good stuff (calories). The women ate it too, but most of them leaned toward the healthier fare at the party.

Don’t worry… I haven’t fallen off of the healthy bandwagon or anything. I sampled these nachos before my venture began! You can read more about my healthy eating venture here. I’m still on track!

This recipe for Chorizo, Bean and Cheese Nachos can be found HERE.

33 Responses to “Super Bowl Party Recipes: Chorizo, Bean & Cheese Nachos”

Nina Timm — January 20, 2009 @ 12:02 PM

OOhhh, I am a very popular mom if I make this….I do think the sausage meat is a great idea…I’ve just always used regular minced meat.Looks delish!

Robin Sue — January 20, 2009 @ 12:18 PM

This is a nice and spicy dish, I love chorizo. We are nacho fans here so I think I will have to give this a try. Beautiful photos!

Culinarywannabe — January 20, 2009 @ 12:40 PM

Oh wow, I bet these would be gone in no time. Nachos are my personal favorite for football food. Not proud to admit that I also love them for dinner!

Heather — January 20, 2009 @ 2:57 PM

ohhh. that looks just delicious. i just love nachos. mmmmm.

That Girl — January 20, 2009 @ 4:28 PM

Those nachos are gorgeous! And I even have the same bowl if I wanted to do a Single White Female act.

Clumbsy Cookie — January 20, 2009 @ 5:28 PM

We don’t watch the super bowl here but man would I eat those nachos anyway!

Rosie — January 20, 2009 @ 5:41 PM

This all looks amazing!! This would be very popular in my household!

Sorry I haven’t called by for a while due to illness but catching up now on your creations :)

Rosie x

Sandie — January 20, 2009 @ 5:47 PM

I will always…ALWAYS…love nachos. This rendition (with the chorizo) looks amazing, and perfect for a Super Bowl party!

Manggy — January 20, 2009 @ 6:03 PM

Naaah, we can forget about healthy food for today, can’t we? Otherwise we’d be abandoning such a fantastic snack! (The jalapenos are driving me wild!)

Kimberly @ the How to Cook Blog — January 20, 2009 @ 6:46 PM

This sounds just delicious! That’s our typical fare for “tailgating” at home! Yum!

My hubby especially loves making this type of food – he’s in his element with Mexican!

Thanks for this great recipe!

Kimberly :)

Lori — January 20, 2009 @ 7:16 PM

Oh wow! These look amazing. Nachos are one of the main things we miss so much while in Brazil. They try, but don’t do so well. No tortillia chips here, just Doritos.

Best wishes on your weight loss journey. It sounds like you are doing great! I am with you, have a few pounds to get off myself. :)

Karen — January 20, 2009 @ 8:28 PM

The nachos look pretty yummy – I bet they were gone in no time!

melissa — January 20, 2009 @ 8:59 PM

THANK you for this idea. I already sent it to myself and another friend. Chorizo instead of ground beef, YUM!!

Cate — January 20, 2009 @ 9:17 PM

Mmm, love chorizo, printing now…

the southern hostess — January 20, 2009 @ 11:57 PM

These look fantastic!

Laurie — January 21, 2009 @ 2:28 AM

I so love nacho’s! Even if I don’t watch the Super Bowl I think I’ll put these on the menu!

Bunny — January 21, 2009 @ 2:46 AM

I’ve been sick since thursday and haven’t eaten a whole lot, these look GREAT! And yes great football food!

Helene — January 21, 2009 @ 3:30 AM

I’m sure that this will be popular at the Super Bowl. Looks so good.

Dragon — January 21, 2009 @ 4:01 AM

Chorizon makes takes these nachos to a higher level. They look amazing!

Vij — January 21, 2009 @ 4:51 AM

Hi ya
    This is my first time here. U have a lovely space. I am sure that I will be visiting you often.
    Brilliant post! mouth watering clicks.

Ivy — January 21, 2009 @ 6:32 AM

This looks so good I am sure it disappeared in no time.

VeggieGirl — January 21, 2009 @ 1:03 PM

mmm, nachos!!

Kitchen Flavours — January 21, 2009 @ 1:07 PM

Wow something new and yummy…

Patsyk — January 21, 2009 @ 1:16 PM

I love nachos piled high like that! Definitely a requirement for watching football.

Grace — January 21, 2009 @ 2:56 PM

i could care less about the game–i’m only present for the food, and i’m liking what you’re dishing out. :)

Hillary — January 21, 2009 @ 3:21 PM

So you get to eat healthy but look at how you’re tempting the rest of us! :) I know a bunch of people who would LOVE to eat this at their Super Bowl party.

kellypea — January 21, 2009 @ 3:50 PM

We love nachos. It’s a prerequisite to living in Paradise, right? This is a great recipe. We don’t usually add the chorizo, but I’m sure it would go over big here. Love your photography!

Aggie — January 21, 2009 @ 6:21 PM

ok, are you kidding with these? they look fantastic! I’m a nacho addict…love this version of them!! My husband’s football friends would go nuts over them!

The Diva on a Diet — January 21, 2009 @ 8:56 PM

Oh how I love chorizo … rarely eat it or nachos … though these look terrific and perfect for the Super Bowl.

Sorry about the Chargers, by the way, I was hoping they’d beat the Cards. :(

KaitCav — January 21, 2009 @ 9:22 PM

The nachos look delicious! My favorite recipe for Super Bowl parties is Buffalo Chicken Dip. There’s a great recipe for it at http://www.BuffaloChickenDip.com. It’s REALLY easy to make because it uses Swanson Chicken, which is made with only white meat. (I work for them, so I know!) We get compliments on the recipe all the time – especially during football season! Thanks for sharing your great recipes!!

Desmone007 — January 21, 2009 @ 10:48 PM

Well this sure looks like a superbowl party favorite! Thanks for the recipe.
    I would like to invite you visit us at Foodista.com and share your recipes and tips with us. We have launched an online food and cooking encyclopedia ala wikipedia and for every recipe you add, you get a chance to win a $100 gift card to Sur la table. Remember to sign up first so you get credit for what you add.
    We also have small embeddable widgets that can help you build traffic from Foodista-related pages. Check it out here. Thanks!

Peter M — January 22, 2009 @ 1:55 PM

Gorgeous, hunger-inducing and enough to want me to desire Nachos for brekkie.

Deborah — January 22, 2009 @ 7:01 PM

That is perfect Super Bowl food!!