Honey- Glazed Chicken Wings

A Super Bowl Party isn’t a SuperBowl party without some sort of chicken wings, right? My absolute favorite are the deep fried type buffalo wings dipped in gobs of blue cheese. Can’t even think about those this year though. In fact, I might as well just forget those even exist since I intend to avoid evil, deep-fried foods for a good, long while!

Here’s an easy crockpot-style recipe that we enjoyed during the playoffs this year: Honey- Glazed Chicken Wings (not health food by any means, but certainly not fried either!)

The How To:

Costco and Sam’s Club both sell big packages of chicken wings for a good price. First off… how to trim the chicken wings.

Cut off the tips of the wings. You can do this with a sharp knife (or kitchen shears). Toss the tips or save them to make chicken stock. Store them in the freezer if you don’t feel like making chicken stock right now.

You’ll probably need kitchen shears to snip the other part- this will give you a little leg and a little wing (the two parts you’ll use in your recipe).

This is what you’ll be needing for the recipe. Nothing exotic.

After the wings are trimmed, the recipe couldn’t be simpler. Chicken is placed into the crockpot and salt & peppered well.

The marinade ingredients are whisked together and poured on top of the chicken. It simmers all day in the crockpot. I was afraid that simmering them too long would make the chicken fall apart, so I let them simmer for 4 hours, and then I took them out, drained them a bit and finished them in the oven. The oven also dried them out a bit too so they weren’t so wet for picking up and eating. You can also choose to do the whole thing in the oven in lieu of the crockpot.

The result was delicious, sweet-flavored wings. If you want them spicy, add additional cayenne pepper. Perfect for Super Bowl. Hate football? Have a party anyway. It’s a good excuse to have friends over.

This recipe can be found HERE.
More Super Bowl recipes can be found HERE.

54 Responses to “Honey- Glazed Chicken Wings”

Deborah — January 26, 2009 @ 8:25 PM

I love chicken wings, and even better that they are made in the crock pot!

Snooky doodle — January 26, 2009 @ 9:02 PM

i m not a big fan of chicken wings but i like honey glazed chicken. :) i ll try it on some chicken breast :)

Shelli — January 26, 2009 @ 9:47 PM

If cooking the wings in the oven, do you cover the baking dish or leave it uncovered? Thanks!! : )

Mike of Mike's Table — January 26, 2009 @ 10:32 PM

I love wings and I could see myself putting a big dent in all of those. They sound great!

Maria — January 26, 2009 @ 10:38 PM

My husband will love these, he just made buffalo wings…I bet he will want to try these too!

Culinarywannabe — January 26, 2009 @ 11:12 PM

Wings are my favorite part of the superbowl. :) Thanks for the pictures on how to cut them up – I had no idea!

Heather — January 27, 2009 @ 12:10 AM

mmm. those look mighty good! love your how to pics!

RecipeGirl — January 27, 2009 @ 12:18 AM

Shelli- I would definitely not cover the baking dish in the oven. Leave it uncovered and watch them closely. Depending on how crowded they are in the pan that you use, you may need to bake them longer than an hour.

Girl Japan — January 27, 2009 @ 12:50 AM

Peanut butter brownies, honey glazed chicken… The wings… OH goodness I could go for seconds, thirds!!!!

They look absolutely delicious.

HoneyB — January 27, 2009 @ 2:08 AM

I like cooking them in the crockpot then crisping them up in the oven…I will have to try it that way!

Laura — January 27, 2009 @ 3:07 AM

OK I keep drooling over your blog lately and not having time to comment. These look amazing–but I have a question so I found the time. ;) After finishing in the oven is the skin crisp at all?

Nina Timm — January 27, 2009 @ 3:30 AM

We do not have football games here, but I will think up any excuse to make these chicken wings….yum!

Bunny — January 27, 2009 @ 3:38 AM

I love using my crockpot, this sounds so good. I have so many things ai want to make for the game, I’m gonna need 2 or 3 crockpots!!

Cam — January 27, 2009 @ 4:25 AM

Never tried making wings in the crockpot before – Will try it out!

Núria — January 27, 2009 @ 9:45 AM

What a great recipe!!!! I would love to try Chicken wings this way! My husband is a fan of chicken wings and it’s good to have other ways to cook them. Thanks for sharing :D

Since we don’t have SuperBall here, I’ll wait for a Big football match instead ;D

Emily — January 27, 2009 @ 11:49 AM

I’ve only made chicken wings once.. I guess it was a couple of months ago, but it totally grossed me out, cutting them up and stuff. I need to get over that. I think they sell them trimmed already. I bet they’re very pricey though.

The Asian flavor of these sounds so good. I might have to try these!

RecipeGirl — January 27, 2009 @ 1:18 PM

Laura- No, these don’t really get crispy in the oven. They’re more of a tender chicken wing, especially being cooked up in the crockpot. I would imagine if you did them entirely in the oven that they would still have that tender, easy to come off the bone consistency.

Eliana — January 27, 2009 @ 2:57 PM

I love chicken wings and I think the best ones are not fried. I make them often at home and what I do is lightly season them and boil them down in a pot for about 45 minutes on a low flame. Then I take out my stovetop cast iron grill and grill them on medium heat for about 6-7 minutes on each side whle glazing them with a simple BBQ sauce I mix together out of some of the same ingrediants you used for this recipe. They are delicious – no frying necessary.

CookiePie — January 27, 2009 @ 3:14 PM

YUM – and what a great idea to make them in a slow cooker!

Kinton — January 27, 2009 @ 6:11 PM

Wow. I am SO impressed with the amount of time you put into this entry. That is some serious step by step. And the photos are amazing!

I feel confident I could recreate an edible version in my own kitchen from this post.

THANKS!

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — January 27, 2009 @ 6:18 PM

Chicken wings are a staple around here. I like to make them lots of different ways. Love the idea of using the crock pot. They look totally droolworthy!

Jerzee Tomato — January 27, 2009 @ 7:43 PM

God I love chicken wings, with or without the football game.

Robin Sue — January 27, 2009 @ 8:29 PM

Good idea about finishing them up in the oven. I do find that they fall apart if in the crockpot too long. And to dry out in the oven a bit- brilliant! So less messy that way.

The Blonde Duck — January 27, 2009 @ 10:01 PM

I love healthy chicken wings!

Jessy and her dog Winnie — January 27, 2009 @ 10:28 PM

Chicken wings are the best!

Karen — January 27, 2009 @ 11:38 PM

Boy do those look good! I like the idea of finishing them in the oven so they’re not so wet to handle.

prettygeeky.com — January 28, 2009 @ 1:29 AM

I am so on top of this recipe. It looks mm mm good!

glamah16 — January 28, 2009 @ 4:25 AM

Oh my. I want thoise wings. Never occured for to me to cook them in a crock pot.

SarahKate — January 28, 2009 @ 5:51 AM

Those look gorgeous and I love the step by step photos!

James Walsh — January 28, 2009 @ 10:55 AM

I made these tonight. They were very good. Will post photos later.

Clumbsy Cookie — January 28, 2009 @ 11:11 AM

Sweet and stick, that’s the way to go!

Meg — January 28, 2009 @ 2:39 PM

These look so delicious! I bet they smell so good while they are simmering!

Jan — January 28, 2009 @ 2:59 PM

They look yummy! Love all your pictures.

pigpigscorner — January 28, 2009 @ 6:11 PM

This looks really delicious! I love chicken wings with honey!

Laurie — January 28, 2009 @ 6:18 PM

This recipe looks great. I love the ease of the crockpot and it was a good idea to finish them in the oven.

Good luck with the healthy eating/diet! I’ve been thinking about doing the same as food blogging is dangerous for the weight.

Jennifer — January 28, 2009 @ 6:56 PM

I wonder if you could make those, except use boneless chicken tenders, but the same marinade and make chicken skewers out of them. I hate eating any meat off the bone. Looks great, I will try to make them that way! Happy Superbowl everyone!

Hallie Fae — January 28, 2009 @ 9:26 PM

Wow, I always wondered what parts of the chicken did the different chicken wings come from. Thanks so much for the break down.

emily — January 28, 2009 @ 10:36 PM

I loved the wing cutting tutorial! Have fun at your party.

Emily

Selba — January 29, 2009 @ 2:20 AM

I used to love eating chicken wings but then these days, the doctors in Indonesia are not recommending us chicken wings because the poultry farmer inject hormon on the wings to make the chicken grow faster so they can sell it to the market sooner.

Manggy — January 29, 2009 @ 2:32 AM

I don’t hate football, but I know next to nothing about it… I will hang around for those yummy wings though ;)

Teresa Cordero Cordell — January 29, 2009 @ 6:11 AM

Hi there Lori. Yep, Superbowl Sunday just isn’t the same without those wonderful chicken wings. I like to make mine with a copycat recipe I got for Hooters wings. They’re made with a hot sauce topping. But I like your recipe. I think I’ll give it a try. Thanks.

Kristen — January 29, 2009 @ 6:13 AM

Yum, everyone loves wings and sure deep fried are tasty, but these look delicious!

Amanda — January 29, 2009 @ 2:52 PM

Those look fantastic!

chuck — January 29, 2009 @ 3:28 PM

What is about chicken wings that is so delicious? Your sauce looks wonderful and I know I will be giving this recipe a try. Thanks Lori!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen — January 29, 2009 @ 5:20 PM

Those look great Lori! I love that you made them in the crock pot – so simple!

Apples and Butter — January 29, 2009 @ 6:32 PM

What a great alative to the fried dish! I haven’t even thought about snacks for Sunday. Better get on that!

Carrian — January 29, 2009 @ 11:52 PM

These look so delicious!! Your recipes always do!1 I left you an award over at my blog!

Ari (Baking and Books) — January 30, 2009 @ 12:03 AM

These look great! The carnivore in me approves. :)

Did you see The Colbert Report last night? Apparently there is a chicken wing shortage for superbowl sunday?

Rebecca — January 30, 2009 @ 12:06 AM

I love chicken wings. They are definately a MUST for superbowl weekend! I never knew how to make them though; great blog!

Rebecca

Tara — January 30, 2009 @ 1:52 AM

oh my oh my….gonna have to have those!!! ?

Dragon — January 30, 2009 @ 2:40 AM

I love these! Great job.

Michelle — January 31, 2009 @ 3:06 PM

It never even occurred to me to chop of that last bit of the wing and use it for stock. Thanks for the tip!

Leslie Green — February 7, 2009 @ 4:26 PM

Love the new site!
    And chicken wings in the crock pot?? Smart, very smart!

Honey- Glazed Chicken Wings Recipe - Super Bowl Recipes | recipegirl.com — March 8, 2010 @ 1:52 PM

[...] This was part of our Superbowl menu one year. I made them in a crockpot and then finished them off to dry them out a little bit in the oven. They were very good. I’d probably do them entirely in the oven next time as the crockpot tends to make chicken fall apart. This recipe has been featured in a post on The Recipe Girl blog: Honey- Glazed Chicken Wings. [...]