Tuscan Vegetable Soup

It’s been a chilly, rainy, 50 degrees here the past couple of days.  Most of you might be slightly envious of that winter temperature since you may be in the midst of some pretty frigid temps.  But for us San Diegan’s, 50 degrees is a big deal.  We get out the sweaters, the closed-toe shoes and the (gasp!) jackets.  It’s time for us to experience some sense of what winter must be like in most of the world.  It really does feel cold… which is why we tend to make soup.  And for those of us trying to make our muffin-tops disappear (that would be ME), we might make Tuscan Vegetable Soup

Here’s the How- To:

tuscansoup13

Chop up the veggies.  If you don’t like what’s in the recipe, then improvise with what you do like.

tuscansoup2

Mash half a can of cannellini beans and keep the other half whole.

tuscansoup3

Saute veggies and spices, then add tomatoes and broth.

tuscansoup4

Add beans (smashed & whole) and fresh spinach.

tuscansoup5

And stir just a bit until the spinach is wilted.

tuscansoup71
It’s a great, low fat, vegetable soup on its own… filling because of those added beans.

tuscansoup61

Or add some shaved Parmesan for fancy flair and added flavor.  As a self-proclaimed cheese addict, I personally like the saltiness of added cheese.  This soup is a goodie for those who are watching their flabs & folds.  It’s perfectly satisfying, and it feels like a treat with its pretty nature.  This might not pass as main-dish dinner fare, but add a slice of whole grain bread and it certainly makes for a nice lunch (on a chilly day).

This recipe can be found HERE.

31 Responses to “Tuscan Vegetable Soup”

snooky doodle — February 8, 2009 @ 2:42 AM

WHAT A NICE SOUP! LOOKS SO COLOURFUL AND WARMING :)

Sylvie — February 8, 2009 @ 3:16 AM

That looks so yummy and full of vegetable goodness. I need to attack my flab and have sworn to be better from tomorrow onwards. I just haven’t really stopped indulging since Christmas.

Kim W. — February 8, 2009 @ 3:43 AM

I love the look of your site now. I’m looking forward to the “entertainment” section being completed! Thank you so much for your “healthier” food focus! I hit a weight loss milestone this weekend (yay!) and love having new ideas for cooking without any guilt!

Cassandra — February 8, 2009 @ 5:31 AM

Spinach and beans, how could it be anything but good.

marguerite — February 8, 2009 @ 6:05 AM

Yum! I’d LOVE a bowl of that!

meg — February 8, 2009 @ 6:45 AM

Look at all the wonderful colors in there! This looks delicious and healthy. Love it!

HoneyB — February 8, 2009 @ 8:01 AM

Great photos, great soup and LOVE the new look!

Susan at Sticky,Gooey,Creamy,Chewy — February 8, 2009 @ 8:11 AM

What a lovely soup for those “chilly” days! My grandma used to call this kind of soup with beans & greens, “minestra”.

I feel your pain regarding the weather. Last week, we had temps in the low 30s, and once down to 29! Brrrr!

Cathy - wheresmydamn — February 8, 2009 @ 8:15 AM

So funny about your comment about San Diego as when I lived there I felt the same way!! Your soup recipe looks great and I am looking forward to trying this one!

Reeni — February 8, 2009 @ 8:17 AM

That looks terrific! So fresh, vibrant and healthy!!

elra — February 8, 2009 @ 8:32 AM

Such a classic and comforting soup!
    Cheers,
    Elra

Peter — February 8, 2009 @ 8:39 AM

Again, love the new look of the blog…I need YOUR help with mine! ;)

First off, the recipe approach is good (throw in what you like). It’s a pragmatic soup but I’d have no problem eating this as is…with some bread of course!

Katie — February 8, 2009 @ 9:19 AM

Looks really yummy and filling. Like the idea of mashing some of the beans. Great photos!

noble pig — February 8, 2009 @ 10:10 AM

Love the new site, it looks fabulous! How exciting for you.

The soup looks wonderful too…so healthy but delicious.

LilSis — February 8, 2009 @ 10:44 AM

You’re so right about us ‘wimpy’ San Diegan’s! We think anything below 60 degrees is cold. So, I’m with ya, I’m in the mood to make some soup! If I needed to add some meat for my carnivorous men, what do you think would be the best choice? Sausage, maybe? Or shrimp?

Or would this soup just be best left as a veggie soup?

Kalyn — February 8, 2009 @ 3:12 PM

Looks delicious, and I love the new look for yur blog too!

patsyk — February 8, 2009 @ 5:57 PM

that’s my kind of soup!!! marking it to try!

5 Star Foodie — February 8, 2009 @ 6:02 PM

This soup looks delicious. The Tuscan flavors are so wonderful!

glutenfreeforgood — February 9, 2009 @ 3:15 AM

Your new site looks wonderful and very easy to navigate. Love it! I also love soup “templates” like this. It’s cold and dreary here this morning and it looks like it will be a perfect day for a soup like this. I have most of the ingredients and will “color outside the lines” a bit with the rest. :-) Thanks for the inspiration.
    Melissa

Amanda — February 9, 2009 @ 4:28 AM

Not only does it sound delicious but it looks beautiful.

I had to laugh at your opening paragraph. Here in Wisconsin it was 50 degrees over the weekend and we were all SHEDDING our coats and raving about how beautiful it was out! LOL But I know where you are coming from. I lived in Vegas for several years and you get used to the mild winters and when it drops down like that is IS cold. I LOVE San Diego, it’s so gorgeous there, someday I would love to live there or Colorado. :) Hey I rambled didn’t I? LOL

VeggieGirl — February 9, 2009 @ 4:59 AM

MMM!!!

Donna — February 9, 2009 @ 7:05 AM

Wow, this soup looks amazing. I said YUM, out loud, just looking at the darned screen. I am trying this, so many on your blog that are wonderful!

cherie — February 9, 2009 @ 8:05 AM

Amazing soup! And sooo healthy!

kelli — February 9, 2009 @ 9:08 AM

I make a variation of that recipe but once the vegetables start to soften I put most of them through the food processor to crush them. It gives it a great texture. Oh I also add salsa to it too. Congrats on the weight loss, we are doing a biggest loser contest here where I teach.

Kate — February 9, 2009 @ 11:10 AM

We’ve been doing soup the past few weeks too!

Aggie — February 9, 2009 @ 11:23 AM

I love a good healthy soup like this. Nothing but pure goodness here!!

Janice — February 9, 2009 @ 12:45 PM

Wow, it was 50 degrees here in Boston yesterday and we thought it was summer! Love the sound of this soup- I like the idea of mashing half the beans. Thanks for the tip!

GIyen — February 9, 2009 @ 7:31 PM

I am now going make this this weekend. Yummy!

Marc @ NoRecipes — February 9, 2009 @ 10:13 PM

I had to laugh a little when you used “chilly” and 50 degrees in the same sentence. It’s warmed up here in NYC into the 50′s and I’ve been shedding the winter coat in favor of something lighter. I miss the weather out there.

Your soup looks light and delicious. I like that you mash up some beans to give it a little body without having to cook it for hours.

Jude — February 10, 2009 @ 8:54 AM

That’s weird.. It’s 65 degrees in Chicago today but 50 degrees over there? What’s going on? :)

Manggy — February 10, 2009 @ 1:50 PM

That looks light and tasty– well done Lori! :)