More Valentine Sweet Treats…

I tend to overcommit myself. I volunteer for too many things, and when the opportunity comes around to put my amateur baking skills to good use… I volunteer for that too. This was one of those weeks… I overcommitted, and I ended up having to flake-out on a couple of things in order to save my sanity. With Valentine’s Day looming ahead, I had promised a few sweet treats for which I was able to deliver:

1. Those chocolate dipped brownies in my last post were brought to a luncheon at the school for the teachers. I also had planned to make Martha Stewart’s Creamy Fudge Hearts, and though I’ve made many a fudge recipe with success, the fudge turned out to be hard as a rock. Plan B: I brought these instead: White Cupcakes with Pink Buttercream Icing.

I melted red-colored APeels (chocolate) and drew little hearts on waxed paper- to use as decor for my simple cupcakes. They were quite delicious (or so I heard… since I can’t sample anything due to this!)

My son asked if I would make something special for his classmates- something he could include with his valentines. I decided on a heart-shaped chocolate mold. I melted various colors and created chocolate pops with different color combos.

Finally, I volunteered to make some cookies for the classroom Valentine party. I agonized over what kind to make… heart shaped sugar cookies… plain old chocolate chip… and then it came to me. I decided on heart-shaped chocolate chip cookies dunked in chocolate. Since kids can’t differentiate one chocolate chip cookie from another, I went with the good ‘ol Toll House recipe. Double the batch, and spread the cookie dough into a greased half-sheet pan (baked at 375 degrees F. for about 20 minutes). While still warm, cut into the baked dough with a heart cookie cutter- about 2 1/2 inches (just make the cuts- don’t pull the cookies out yet).
Let the big batch of heart-imprinted cookies set for a while- then place the pan in the refrigerator to speed up the cooling. When cool, they’re easy to break apart. Save the hearts (I got 24) and place all of the extra scraps & crumbles aside for nibbling (as well as topping ice cream!) If you plan to dip them in chocolate, place all of the heart shaped cookies in the freezer until they’re nice and firm.
Melt desired chocolate for dipping. I used bittersweet chocolate chips w/ a dollop of shortening (makes it smooth and thin for dipping). Grab the bottom of the cookie and dunk the top into the chocolate. Flip over onto a rack and let sit until chocolate dries completely.
And there they are!

I’m exhausted from putting these all together, and I don’t wish to see any more cutesie heart-shaped things for a really long while to come. The kid is happy though, and that’s all that matters :)

Happy Valentine’s Day!

P.S.  No nibbling was had in the making of any of the aforementioned treats!

36 Responses to “More Valentine Sweet Treats…”

1. postedFeb 13, 2009 3:29 AM

awww your creations are amazing. I would looooove to receive a few bags of those lovely cute goodies tomorrow =)

2. postedFeb 13, 2009 4:31 AM
    Gretchen Noelle

Wow! Look at all those! Impressive, and once again more impressive that you didn’t snack on any! Great job!

3. postedFeb 13, 2009 5:33 AM

You will be happy to know that you have inspired me to this end:

I love all the treats you have made and you must be the most popular mom around Valentine’s day…and Christmas and Easter…and don’t for get Halloween!!!

4. postedFeb 13, 2009 5:56 AM

How extraordinary! Gorgeous pure-yummy-sweet art..hard to eat later!
    I must stumble this treat at stumbleupon site :)

5. postedFeb 13, 2009 6:03 AM

So clever! I’m impressed by the treats, but amazed at the no nibbling!

6. postedFeb 13, 2009 6:22 AM

That’s a lot of delicious treats without any tasting – good for you!

7. postedFeb 13, 2009 6:28 AM

You are like the 4th person today that has changed their site…I love it, looks really good. I am still in blogger, but tampering ove the valentine’s day treats, very cute.

8. postedFeb 13, 2009 6:28 AM

Lori you did do so many things! And each one of them is adorable and I bet tastes so good too. I wish I were on the receiving end of these treats!

9. postedFeb 13, 2009 6:50 AM

all those treats look amazing!! Happy Valentine’s Day to you too.

Rosie x

10. postedFeb 13, 2009 7:02 AM

Wow, you have been busy, making some beautiful creations.

11. postedFeb 13, 2009 7:16 AM
    5 Star Foodie

Beautiful and delicious creations! Happy Valentine’s day!

12. postedFeb 13, 2009 7:42 AM

Beautiful! Happy Valentine’s Day!!!

13. postedFeb 13, 2009 8:38 AM

Oh, I’m right there with you!!! I’m waaaaay past overcommitted. I don’t know why I do it to myself. This week the Twins had FOUR projects due and of course all the Valentine’s goodies that needed to be bought or made. Of course there’s usual seven hours worth of baseball practice. On top of normal stuff like laundry. :-(

Anyway hope you enjoy your weekend,Happy V-day, & thanks for listening to my rant!

14. postedFeb 13, 2009 8:45 AM

All of your treats look beautiful! Happy Valentine’s Day!!

15. postedFeb 13, 2009 9:16 AM

They turned out so nice! If I get ambitious, maybe I’ll give them a try this weekend. My kids would love them.

16. postedFeb 13, 2009 9:53 AM

I wouldn’t have blamed you if you had nibbled! Everything looks so god!

17. postedFeb 13, 2009 10:43 AM

Wow, that’s so awesome. You’re so talented!

18. postedFeb 13, 2009 11:10 AM

I tend to overcommit also, but it’s worth it to see the finished result.

19. postedFeb 13, 2009 12:50 PM

Everything is adorable.

20. postedFeb 13, 2009 12:57 PM

Great treat ideas! Very clever Lori!

21. postedFeb 13, 2009 1:14 PM

I fell a victim to these scrumptious out of the ordinary cookie! While helping out for the V-day party in Mrs. B’s class, all the adults were drooling over your cookies and hoping there would be some leftover for them! A few of us were lucky enough to sneak a sample. I got wind of your website and had to take a peek. Thanks for sharing such a yummy creative idea.
    ~Becky F.

22. postedFeb 13, 2009 1:42 PM

how many nice treats. I epecially love the cupcakes with the red heart :) too cute!

23. postedFeb 13, 2009 1:51 PM

Kudos to you for not sampling! That is always my downfall.

Everything looks wonderful, congrats for getting it all done!

24. postedFeb 13, 2009 5:59 PM

I did the same thing, committing to a lot of goodie baking. You are a strong woman to have not nibbled on anything! Love the dipped cookie bars.

25. postedFeb 13, 2009 6:05 PM

(you are MORE than welcome!)

And thank YOU for the adorable brownie inspiration! I’ll have to try give these a test run some time soon…

26. postedFeb 13, 2009 7:57 PM

I’m so impressed that you managed not to nibble! Good for you (I do hope you give yourself some little reward on Valentine’s)! Love all of your creative ideas. I was browsing through a whole slew of apeels yesterday in a nearby baking store, but was unsure of what kind of flavor they would have…just white chocolate??

27. postedFeb 13, 2009 8:16 PM

Lori, what a great idea. I love homemade gifts and I bet the kids just loved those cookies for Valentines.

28. postedFeb 13, 2009 10:16 PM

heh heh! you sound like me! I had to make Valentine’s Day treats for the kindergarteners’ party and I didn’t even have one bite of the cupcakes or the cookies I made! Way to go with the steely determination! I almost broke down when a cupcake fell on its side (’cause broken cookies and squashed cupcakes are always MINE to eat!)

29. postedFeb 14, 2009 4:45 AM

So cuuuuuute!!!

30. postedFeb 14, 2009 6:23 AM

Such fabulous ideas!!! They all look so great! Thanks! Happy Valentines Day!

31. postedFeb 14, 2009 6:49 AM

I made your balsamic rosemary pork tenderloin last night! It was amazing, so tasty, moist and easy! Will def e making again – I have also passed the recipe on to my friend!

32. postedFeb 14, 2009 7:51 AM

You are simply amazing. i would be face down in all that choco!! Happy Valentines day AND congrats on your willpower!

33. postedFeb 14, 2009 1:48 PM

I’m with you on the no more heart shape things! But I do have to admit that everything looks so cute and adorable! Whata did you do with the hard fudge? I once made one really hard but was able to grate it and eat it with ice cream!

34. postedFeb 14, 2009 5:15 PM

I don’t know how you make these fabulous treats without tasting! Great will power!! Everything looks amazing! Happy V-day!

35. postedJul 21, 2011 6:12 PM

I REALLY would like to make the chocolate pops on a stick. I’ve never done anything like that & would appreciate ANY input.

• July 22nd, 2011 @ 6:22 AM

All I did was purchase the plastic molds at a baking supply shop, then melted chocolate and poured it into the molds, added sticks, let it set. It was that simple!