Oscar- Worthy ‘Baked’ Spicy Brownies

When I first saw this recipe in O Magazine, I thought…’baked‘ spicy brownies? Ok, so how else would they be cooked… fried?  broiled?  sauteed?  microwaved?… (sounds like a Cakespy experiment waiting to happen). The full write-up explained that these treasures were adapted from a brownie found in a little pastry shop in Brooklyn called Baked. The owners (Matt Lewis & Renato Poliafito) have since released a cookbook- Baked: New Frontiers in Baking. It’s on my Amazon wish list at the moment… just waiting for me to pull the trigger and order it. In the meantime, I was happy to try out one of these guy’s recipes to find out if it was worthy enough to serve on Oscar nightThe Baked Spicy Brownie.

Here’s the How-To:
baked-brownie1

Melt dark chocolate & butter in a make-shift double boiler (metal bowl over pan w/ simmering H2O).
baked-brownie2
Mix sugars into the melted stuff and let cool to room temp.
baked-brownie3
Add the eggs, vanilla and freshly grated ginger.  Mix in flour, cocoa, ancho chili powder & cinnamon.   I was a little afraid to add that ancho chili powder (a whole Tablespoon)… wasn’t sure if I’d be dealing with hot & spicy brownies or what, but I dutifully followed the directions and added all spices that were listed.
baked-brownie4baked-brownie5
They look dry, don’t they?  When I pulled these out of the oven, I thought- “Oh damn.  I overbaked the ‘baked’ brownies.”  Not true though.  They weren’t dry in the least.  Phew.
baked-brownie7
In true RecipeGirl fashion, I chilled the pan of brownies before cutting (I’m obsessed with getting those nice, clean cuts).  And I was SOOOO happy when I cut into them and discovered that they were moist and fudgy on the inside.  Oh yeah.  I didn’t screw up after all.
baked-brownie8
The spicy brownies turned out to be not the hot&spicy kind of spice, but rather an accent of added flavor (in a good way).  baked-brownie9
Those ‘Baked‘ guys got it right with this brownie recipe.  It’s definitely Oscar-Worthy.  I’ll be checking out that Baked Cookbook sometime soon to find out if the rest of their ‘Baked’ recipes are worth raving about.  I see some delicious experimenting on the horizon…

This recipe can be found here:  Baked Spicy Brownie

54 Responses to “Oscar- Worthy ‘Baked’ Spicy Brownies”

Girl Japan — February 22, 2009 @ 2:28 AM

These look amazing Recipe Girl! Oscar Worthy.. spot on!!! I am off to check out their cook book! Your photos look fabulous!

Bellini Valli — February 22, 2009 @ 4:48 AM

These are a new twist on the spicy chocolate bars on the market today. Chocolate lovers beware..they are addictive”D

patsyk — February 22, 2009 @ 5:10 AM

Those brownies look incredible! I’m going to have to pick up some ancho chili powder so I can try them (can’t figure out why I don’t already have some though!). Yum!

paula — February 22, 2009 @ 6:02 AM

Wow these brownies look divine! I can’t wait to give them a try!

Barbara — February 22, 2009 @ 6:19 AM

I never thought of chilling before cutting. Nice tip. The brownies look moist and delicious!

Janelle — February 22, 2009 @ 6:25 AM

Forgive the naivete, but is there a difference between “ancho chili powder” and just plain old “chili powder?” Would they be interchangeable?

• RecipeGirl replied: — February 22nd, 2009 @ 6:59 AM

Janelle- I did a little googling around on your question to investigate the possibility of using plain chili powder. The general answer seems to be that using regular chili powder would not give the recipe the same flavor. Ancho tends to lend a more smoky flavor and regular chili powder contains all kinds of other spices that would lend it the wrong flavors. That being said, I got my ancho chili powder in the regular spice section in my market… didn’t have to special order it or anything. And I do find that quite a few recipes call for it.

Rayrena — February 22, 2009 @ 7:33 AM

Those are some perfect cuts! Never thought of chilling them either. I’ve been in love with chocolate and chili since having chocolate and black pepper gelato a few year ago. I might even have to break the diet to try these :)

5 Star Foodie — February 22, 2009 @ 7:33 AM

Great idea to add chili powder and ginger – really delicious!

finsmom — February 22, 2009 @ 7:41 AM

Recipe Girl to the rescue, with another great recipe! These look heavenly! I love the spice addition!

Passions to Pastry — February 22, 2009 @ 8:01 AM

These brownies look really good! I bought the book BAKED, but haven’t tried anything in there yet.

Heather — February 22, 2009 @ 8:13 AM

wow! those definitely sound oscar worthy (and delicious!)

Cheryl — February 22, 2009 @ 8:21 AM

Wow…..have to try this one also. Last night we had your Baked Chicken Parmesan (WW), and was it ever good. I don’t think anyone would think it is low fat. Tonight we are going for The Asian Honey-Tea Grilled Shrimp!!

Leslie Green — February 22, 2009 @ 10:16 AM

ohhh they do look yummy even with the chili powder!!!

Louise — February 22, 2009 @ 10:18 AM

OMG they look heavenly. I can not trust myself to wait until the brownies are cooled to cut them. I promise I’ll try…

Louise — February 22, 2009 @ 10:25 AM

I forgot to mention. I’m borrowing the link for dessert. A go along to my Oscar post…Thanks for sharing, Recipe Girl!

megan — February 22, 2009 @ 11:16 AM

These look delicious. I love chili powder in my chocolate so you know I would LOVE it in my brownies. I’m afraid I would eat the whole pan. :)

dawn — February 22, 2009 @ 11:30 AM

you know I finally broke down and bought the cookbook “baked” I am so glad I did. That root beer cake is amazing. And the sweet & salty cake? OMG.
    I can’t wait to try these brownies. Yours are nice and thick, and I’m with you on wanting a nice clean cut–love that!

snooky doodle — February 22, 2009 @ 12:38 PM

what an interesting recipe. Surely those brownies look decadent. I love the added spice to these. I think it makes them even more interesting. Hvae to save this :)

Michelle — February 22, 2009 @ 1:23 PM

I’ve got to get some ancho chili powder now – another blog-inspired addition to my ever-growing grocery list.
    Thanks!
    Michelle

Reeni — February 22, 2009 @ 1:49 PM

Those are gorgeous!! So thick, moist, and fudgey, just the way I like em!

CakeSpy — February 22, 2009 @ 3:23 PM

Oh dudette, you made me laugh! :-) OK, a few things. #1, BUY THE BOOK! It’s one of my favorites. It’s really awesome. Or better yet, #2, Go work for them!!! Your brownies look just as good as the ones at their bakery, and I’ve tried them and know they’re absolutely killer. These are red-hot for the red-carpet!

Katrina — February 22, 2009 @ 4:58 PM

Saw these in a magazine at the dentist office. They look great!

VeggieGirl — February 22, 2009 @ 5:59 PM

HOLY YUM SPICY GOODNESS!!

brilynn — February 22, 2009 @ 7:26 PM

Those look awesome! The texture looks like it would be perfect.

Amanda — February 23, 2009 @ 4:14 AM

Of course they look beautiful, everything you make does :) I keep hearing about using hot pepper spices in brownies and occasional other baked goods. I guess I will have to give them a try some time

Hey btw! i’ve started a new blog event called Thrifty Thursdays if you are interested in blogging along! http://amandascookin.blogspot.com/2009/02/gauging-interest-thrifty-thursday.html :)

grace — February 23, 2009 @ 5:47 AM

these look so dense and so rich, and with that special kick from the glorious chile pepper, they’d be hard to beat!

Elyse — February 23, 2009 @ 6:34 AM

I love what you’ve done wit the brownie! YUMMY. You’re so right. The Baked guys really do have it down: I’ve yet to try a recipe from them that I haven’t adored. By the way, Alice Merdrich recommends baking brownies at a high heat (like 400) for 20 minutes or so and then upon removing the pan from the oven, immediately plunging it into an ice bath until cool–all to ensure fudginess. Obviously, your brownies turned out super fudgy (um, yum), but I thought I’d share the trick anyway!

Cassandra — February 23, 2009 @ 7:09 AM

Looks great. I’ll have to check that cookbook out.

Pigpigscorner — February 23, 2009 @ 7:59 AM

They look so good!!! I bought some ancho chilies and can’t wait to pair them up with chocolates!

nina — February 23, 2009 @ 8:06 AM

Fudgy would be an understatement!! You think I can still make a batch before tonight’s Oscars???

Aimee — February 23, 2009 @ 8:53 AM

Wow. Look amazing!!! I can’t believe how dark and rich they look. I think I’ll be making some brownies this week.

Anna — February 23, 2009 @ 10:06 AM

Pull the trigger! Buy the book!

Marc @ NoRecipes — February 23, 2009 @ 10:30 AM

Wow that looks dense and delicious! I love spicy chocolate.

Blond Duck — February 23, 2009 @ 10:56 AM

That’s a really cool combination!!

ingrid — February 23, 2009 @ 11:03 AM

I have that cookbook but I have yet to do more than drool over the photos.

That was a pleasant surprise finding nice moist brownies after thinking they were overcooked.
    ~ingrid

Val — February 23, 2009 @ 2:10 PM

The Brownies look awesome! Just want to pass along a tip I just read recently and it worked! While Brownies are slightly warm, cut with a plastic knife. I tried it and got nice, clean cuts. They were perfectly square!

Tonia — February 23, 2009 @ 3:41 PM

Oh, those look amazing & I can’t wait to try them.

The Duo Dishes — February 23, 2009 @ 4:01 PM

Ooooh, they are totally fudgey and chewy lookin’!

Dragon — February 23, 2009 @ 6:29 PM

I love spice with my chocolate. This looks amazing!

elra — February 23, 2009 @ 8:09 PM

Amazing brownies, and ancho chili must add a very nice spicy touch to it.
    Cheers,
    Elra

Nick — February 23, 2009 @ 8:14 PM

I keep hearing about “Baked”, I gotta visit the shop when I go home.

My Sweet & Saucy — February 23, 2009 @ 9:13 PM

Wow, those look really good! What a fun touch you added!

HoneyB — February 24, 2009 @ 2:33 AM

Between you and Val this morning …. I’m thinking about making brownies again. lol They look really yummy!

Laurie V — February 24, 2009 @ 1:03 PM

Oh yum! I hope you enjoyed these as well as the Oscars! So did you have a favorite red carpet gown? :)

redmeance — February 25, 2009 @ 2:01 PM

I love ginger. What a great combination. Thanks!

Olivia — February 25, 2009 @ 5:57 PM

These look like how a brownie should. Super moist, fudgey, and big. I’m sure the spice adds a nice hint of flavor to them.

RecipeGirl's Mom — February 25, 2009 @ 8:03 PM

Those Brownies look dangerous. Find a good hiding place for all the good stuff before I come to visit or you’ll have to roll me out when it’s time to go home.

Jude — February 26, 2009 @ 12:18 AM

haha. Thanks for the explanation. I was about to say, adding baked is a bit unnecessary, isn’t it?

Gretchen Noelle — February 28, 2009 @ 2:44 PM

These look really delicious and I am definitely eager to try them!

Kim W. — March 1, 2009 @ 11:59 AM

I worked out the point on Weight Watchers. These are ONLY 4 points per brownie … and soooo yummy. Thanks for sharing!

Kevin — March 2, 2009 @ 7:21 PM

Those look good! I like the chili and chocolate combo!

wanda — February 13, 2010 @ 9:37 PM

These were the worst brownies I have ever eaten. They were very dry and too hot. Don’t waste your time.

• Lori Lange replied: — February 14th, 2010 @ 11:01 AM

Wanda- not sure what happened w/ your results! I think you can tell from the pictures that mine turned out anything but dry. I don’t like spicy at all so I’m wondering if you added a bit too much spice?