Oscar- Worthy ‘Baked’ Spicy Brownies

When I first saw this recipe in O Magazine, I thought…’baked‘ spicy brownies? Ok, so how else would they be cooked… fried?  broiled?  sauteed?  microwaved?… (sounds like a Cakespy experiment waiting to happen). The full write-up explained that these treasures were adapted from a brownie found in a little pastry shop in Brooklyn called Baked. The owners (Matt Lewis & Renato Poliafito) have since released a cookbook- Baked: New Frontiers in Baking. It’s on my Amazon wish list at the moment… just waiting for me to pull the trigger and order it. In the meantime, I was happy to try out one of these guy’s recipes to find out if it was worthy enough to serve on Oscar nightThe Baked Spicy Brownie.

Here’s the How-To:

Melt dark chocolate & butter in a make-shift double boiler (metal bowl over pan w/ simmering H2O).
Mix sugars into the melted stuff and let cool to room temp.
Add the eggs, vanilla and freshly grated ginger.  Mix in flour, cocoa, ancho chili powder & cinnamon.   I was a little afraid to add that ancho chili powder (a whole Tablespoon)… wasn’t sure if I’d be dealing with hot & spicy brownies or what, but I dutifully followed the directions and added all spices that were listed.
They look dry, don’t they?  When I pulled these out of the oven, I thought- “Oh damn.  I overbaked the ‘baked’ brownies.”  Not true though.  They weren’t dry in the least.  Phew.
In true RecipeGirl fashion, I chilled the pan of brownies before cutting (I’m obsessed with getting those nice, clean cuts).  And I was SOOOO happy when I cut into them and discovered that they were moist and fudgy on the inside.  Oh yeah.  I didn’t screw up after all.
The spicy brownies turned out to be not the hot&spicy kind of spice, but rather an accent of added flavor (in a good way).  baked-brownie9
Those ‘Baked‘ guys got it right with this brownie recipe.  It’s definitely Oscar-Worthy.  I’ll be checking out that Baked Cookbook sometime soon to find out if the rest of their ‘Baked’ recipes are worth raving about.  I see some delicious experimenting on the horizon…

This recipe can be found here:  Baked Spicy Brownie

55 Responses to “Oscar- Worthy ‘Baked’ Spicy Brownies”

1. postedFeb 22, 2009 2:28 AM
    Girl Japan

These look amazing Recipe Girl! Oscar Worthy.. spot on!!! I am off to check out their cook book! Your photos look fabulous!

2. postedFeb 22, 2009 4:48 AM
    Bellini Valli

These are a new twist on the spicy chocolate bars on the market today. Chocolate lovers beware..they are addictive”D

3. postedFeb 22, 2009 5:10 AM

Those brownies look incredible! I’m going to have to pick up some ancho chili powder so I can try them (can’t figure out why I don’t already have some though!). Yum!

4. postedFeb 22, 2009 6:02 AM

Wow these brownies look divine! I can’t wait to give them a try!

5. postedFeb 22, 2009 6:19 AM

I never thought of chilling before cutting. Nice tip. The brownies look moist and delicious!

6. postedFeb 22, 2009 6:25 AM

Forgive the naivete, but is there a difference between “ancho chili powder” and just plain old “chili powder?” Would they be interchangeable?

• February 22nd, 2009 @ 6:59 AM

Janelle- I did a little googling around on your question to investigate the possibility of using plain chili powder. The general answer seems to be that using regular chili powder would not give the recipe the same flavor. Ancho tends to lend a more smoky flavor and regular chili powder contains all kinds of other spices that would lend it the wrong flavors. That being said, I got my ancho chili powder in the regular spice section in my market… didn’t have to special order it or anything. And I do find that quite a few recipes call for it.

7. postedFeb 22, 2009 7:33 AM

Those are some perfect cuts! Never thought of chilling them either. I’ve been in love with chocolate and chili since having chocolate and black pepper gelato a few year ago. I might even have to break the diet to try these :)

8. postedFeb 22, 2009 7:33 AM
    5 Star Foodie

Great idea to add chili powder and ginger – really delicious!

9. postedFeb 22, 2009 7:41 AM

Recipe Girl to the rescue, with another great recipe! These look heavenly! I love the spice addition!

10. postedFeb 22, 2009 8:01 AM

These brownies look really good! I bought the book BAKED, but haven’t tried anything in there yet.

11. postedFeb 22, 2009 8:13 AM

wow! those definitely sound oscar worthy (and delicious!)

12. postedFeb 22, 2009 8:21 AM

Wow…..have to try this one also. Last night we had your Baked Chicken Parmesan (WW), and was it ever good. I don’t think anyone would think it is low fat. Tonight we are going for The Asian Honey-Tea Grilled Shrimp!!

13. postedFeb 22, 2009 10:16 AM

ohhh they do look yummy even with the chili powder!!!

14. postedFeb 22, 2009 10:18 AM

OMG they look heavenly. I can not trust myself to wait until the brownies are cooled to cut them. I promise I’ll try…

15. postedFeb 22, 2009 10:25 AM

I forgot to mention. I’m borrowing the link for dessert. A go along to my Oscar post…Thanks for sharing, Recipe Girl!

16. postedFeb 22, 2009 11:16 AM

These look delicious. I love chili powder in my chocolate so you know I would LOVE it in my brownies. I’m afraid I would eat the whole pan. :)

17. postedFeb 22, 2009 11:30 AM

you know I finally broke down and bought the cookbook “baked” I am so glad I did. That root beer cake is amazing. And the sweet & salty cake? OMG.
    I can’t wait to try these brownies. Yours are nice and thick, and I’m with you on wanting a nice clean cut–love that!

18. postedFeb 22, 2009 12:38 PM

what an interesting recipe. Surely those brownies look decadent. I love the added spice to these. I think it makes them even more interesting. Hvae to save this :)

19. postedFeb 22, 2009 1:23 PM

I’ve got to get some ancho chili powder now – another blog-inspired addition to my ever-growing grocery list.

20. postedFeb 22, 2009 1:49 PM

Those are gorgeous!! So thick, moist, and fudgey, just the way I like em!

21. postedFeb 22, 2009 3:23 PM

Oh dudette, you made me laugh! :-) OK, a few things. #1, BUY THE BOOK! It’s one of my favorites. It’s really awesome. Or better yet, #2, Go work for them!!! Your brownies look just as good as the ones at their bakery, and I’ve tried them and know they’re absolutely killer. These are red-hot for the red-carpet!

22. postedFeb 22, 2009 4:58 PM

Saw these in a magazine at the dentist office. They look great!

23. postedFeb 22, 2009 5:59 PM

24. postedFeb 22, 2009 7:26 PM

Those look awesome! The texture looks like it would be perfect.

25. postedFeb 23, 2009 4:14 AM

Of course they look beautiful, everything you make does :) I keep hearing about using hot pepper spices in brownies and occasional other baked goods. I guess I will have to give them a try some time

Hey btw! i’ve started a new blog event called Thrifty Thursdays if you are interested in blogging along! http://amandascookin.blogspot.com/2009/02/gauging-interest-thrifty-thursday.html :)

26. postedFeb 23, 2009 5:47 AM

these look so dense and so rich, and with that special kick from the glorious chile pepper, they’d be hard to beat!

27. postedFeb 23, 2009 6:34 AM

I love what you’ve done wit the brownie! YUMMY. You’re so right. The Baked guys really do have it down: I’ve yet to try a recipe from them that I haven’t adored. By the way, Alice Merdrich recommends baking brownies at a high heat (like 400) for 20 minutes or so and then upon removing the pan from the oven, immediately plunging it into an ice bath until cool–all to ensure fudginess. Obviously, your brownies turned out super fudgy (um, yum), but I thought I’d share the trick anyway!

28. postedFeb 23, 2009 7:09 AM

Looks great. I’ll have to check that cookbook out.

29. postedFeb 23, 2009 7:59 AM

They look so good!!! I bought some ancho chilies and can’t wait to pair them up with chocolates!

30. postedFeb 23, 2009 8:06 AM

Fudgy would be an understatement!! You think I can still make a batch before tonight’s Oscars???

31. postedFeb 23, 2009 8:53 AM

Wow. Look amazing!!! I can’t believe how dark and rich they look. I think I’ll be making some brownies this week.

32. postedFeb 23, 2009 10:06 AM

Pull the trigger! Buy the book!

33. postedFeb 23, 2009 10:30 AM

Wow that looks dense and delicious! I love spicy chocolate.

34. postedFeb 23, 2009 10:56 AM

That’s a really cool combination!!

35. postedFeb 23, 2009 11:03 AM

I have that cookbook but I have yet to do more than drool over the photos.

That was a pleasant surprise finding nice moist brownies after thinking they were overcooked.

36. postedFeb 23, 2009 2:10 PM

The Brownies look awesome! Just want to pass along a tip I just read recently and it worked! While Brownies are slightly warm, cut with a plastic knife. I tried it and got nice, clean cuts. They were perfectly square!

37. postedFeb 23, 2009 3:41 PM

Oh, those look amazing & I can’t wait to try them.

38. postedFeb 23, 2009 4:01 PM

Ooooh, they are totally fudgey and chewy lookin’!

39. postedFeb 23, 2009 6:29 PM

I love spice with my chocolate. This looks amazing!

40. postedFeb 23, 2009 8:09 PM

Amazing brownies, and ancho chili must add a very nice spicy touch to it.

41. postedFeb 23, 2009 8:14 PM

I keep hearing about “Baked”, I gotta visit the shop when I go home.

42. postedFeb 23, 2009 9:13 PM

Wow, those look really good! What a fun touch you added!

43. postedFeb 24, 2009 2:33 AM

Between you and Val this morning …. I’m thinking about making brownies again. lol They look really yummy!

44. postedFeb 24, 2009 1:03 PM

Oh yum! I hope you enjoyed these as well as the Oscars! So did you have a favorite red carpet gown? :)

45. postedFeb 25, 2009 2:01 PM

I love ginger. What a great combination. Thanks!

46. postedFeb 25, 2009 5:57 PM

These look like how a brownie should. Super moist, fudgey, and big. I’m sure the spice adds a nice hint of flavor to them.

47. postedFeb 25, 2009 8:03 PM
    RecipeGirl's Mom

Those Brownies look dangerous. Find a good hiding place for all the good stuff before I come to visit or you’ll have to roll me out when it’s time to go home.

48. postedFeb 26, 2009 12:18 AM

haha. Thanks for the explanation. I was about to say, adding baked is a bit unnecessary, isn’t it?

49. postedFeb 28, 2009 2:44 PM
    Gretchen Noelle

These look really delicious and I am definitely eager to try them!

50. postedMar 1, 2009 11:59 AM

I worked out the point on Weight Watchers. These are ONLY 4 points per brownie … and soooo yummy. Thanks for sharing!

51. postedMar 2, 2009 7:21 PM

Those look good! I like the chili and chocolate combo!

52. postedFeb 13, 2010 9:37 PM

These were the worst brownies I have ever eaten. They were very dry and too hot. Don’t waste your time.

• February 14th, 2010 @ 11:01 AM

Wanda- not sure what happened w/ your results! I think you can tell from the pictures that mine turned out anything but dry. I don’t like spicy at all so I’m wondering if you added a bit too much spice?

53. postedAug 23, 2014 10:27 AM
    Amy T

The recipe is a win! I made this yesterday from my best friend’s birthday and it was hit. I too was worried it would not be moist in the middle. Boy was I wrong because it melts in your mouth. Thank you sharing this recipe :-)