A Filling & Healthy Choice: Confetti Chili

One of the reasons that people ultimately fail when beginning a healthy-eating lifestyle is that they choose foods to eat that don’t give them a feeling of being full. And let’s face it… when you feel like you’re starving, you’re going to blow it. I’ve been trying to choose foods that are high in fiber, and it really makes a big difference. Snack on a slice of whole-grain bread that has 5 grams of fiber in it and a cup of tea… it’s amazing how satiating that can be.

Especially at dinnertime, I want my meal to be appealing.  I don’t want to feel like I’m eating ‘diet’ food, and I’d like to feel full. If dinner hasn’t filled me up, I’m likely to be searching for something sweet later on in the evening that I otherwise wouldn’t be so tempted to eat. My latest find for a satisfying, colorful and high fiber choice that is also a good one for the family: Confetti Chili.
confetti-chili8
Here’s the How-To:
confetti-chili2
Saute your colorful veggies- onion, bell pepper, & carrots.
confetti-chili3
Add the secret spices that make this chili so good.  No chili powder in this chili!
confetti-chili-picnik-collage
Follow the pics. This is an easy, easy chili to make.
confetti-chili9
I wish I could take credit for this creation, but it’s another one from that brilliant cookbook by Ellie Krieger. If you don’t have it yet, get it. Every single recipe I’ve tried so far is a keeper.
confetti-chili1
And the best part? This chili is filling- you will definitely feel full after eating it. Serving size is 1 1/4 cups… and for that you’ll be eating 250 calories and 10 grams of fiber (WW points: 6). The family actually really liked this one a lot. It was nice change to make a chili that didn’t have the usual chili powder addition. My little one doesn’t like to eat chili so much on its own, but if I give him a handful of Dorito scoop chips, he’s all over it.  Stay away from the chips yourself, add a side salad, and you’ve got yourself a satisfying, low fat dinner.

This recipe can be found here:  Confetti Chili

35 Responses to “A Filling & Healthy Choice: Confetti Chili”

lo — February 24, 2009 @ 8:40 AM

Mmm. Can’t beat chili for keeping warm and filling you up. This one looks great — lots of veg!

Alisa - Frugal Foodi — February 24, 2009 @ 8:40 AM

That certainly doesn’t look like diet food! I will be posting up a healthy bread recipe on my blog (about as healthy as it gets I think) that is super-hearty, later today. I thought it might go well with your chili. We are having it with potato soup today :)

KatieG — February 24, 2009 @ 8:43 AM

sounds yummy!

patsyk — February 24, 2009 @ 8:54 AM

I love her book! Will mark this one to try as we love chili and I love that it has so many great ingredients. Yum!

Janna from Honeyed H — February 24, 2009 @ 9:03 AM

Love this! Yum. I want a bowl right now.

Elyse — February 24, 2009 @ 10:27 AM

Yum! I love chili. I’m going to make this recipe with extra lean ground turkey. I can’t wait: I love sneaking in lots of veggies! My latest trick has been wilting spinach in all of the soups that I’ve been eating–that, or throwing in some brussel sprouts. By the way, Trader Joe’s cartons of soups are super low-cal, but uber-tasty and filling, if you’re looking for some hearty soup-fare.

CakeSpy — February 24, 2009 @ 10:47 AM

I LOVE CHILI. That had to be in caps–it’s one of my favorite foods in the world. I love this one, because it’s so full of color and delicious veggies–and not too greasy looking. I’ve got to try it!

aleta — February 24, 2009 @ 11:09 AM

Oh! I have a similar chili recipe (in terms of calorie content) that my boyfriend was just saying “Wow! That’s actually a very satisfying diet dish!”

Despite the fact that it is not his mother’s beloved chocolate bar/bacon/fat laden creation, we’ve added it to our go-to menu. =)

snooky doodle — February 24, 2009 @ 11:49 AM

WHAT A NICE DISH! I LOVE CHILLI IN FACT I MADE IT YESTERDAY. THIS ONE LOOKS SO NICE AND COLOURFUL AND MUCH MORE HEALTHIER I LL SURELY TRY THIS ONE :)

Mike — February 24, 2009 @ 1:31 PM

That’s definitely the rough part of eating well…when you consciously know that you are, you don’t want to and crave more food, lol (or maybe that’s just me)! This looks like a fantastic dinner–the healthy eating’s a bonus.

The Duo Dishes — February 24, 2009 @ 5:19 PM

Now that’s a chunky chili. And it’s so colorful!

Janet — February 24, 2009 @ 5:21 PM

I agree… that full feeling is what I need to stay on course! This looks amazingly good. I’m glad we’re eating healthy and working out “together”!

sharon — February 24, 2009 @ 5:54 PM

I love your photo collage! The colors are beautiful, and I can tell this is healthy. Great job!

Leslie Green — February 24, 2009 @ 6:22 PM

oh yes indeed, this would fill me up!

Stacey Snacks — February 24, 2009 @ 7:18 PM

Why have so many bloggers made bean recipes the past 2 days? Must be something in the air (inluding me!).

Keep up w/ your healthy eating.
    Chili looks great.

grace — February 25, 2009 @ 4:30 AM

pretty. tasty. healthy. body- and soul-warming. bravo. :)

marguerite — February 25, 2009 @ 6:21 AM

That looks great! I like a lot of recipes I see Ellie make!

Courtney — February 25, 2009 @ 7:02 AM

That looks so goood!!!! The little ones that i look after are going to adore this!

Sara — February 25, 2009 @ 7:35 AM

Chili with no chili powder eh? I’ve never done that before! It sounds (and looks) fantastic. I love pretty, filling meals that are actually good for you!

Thom — February 25, 2009 @ 7:41 AM

You chili recipe looks good. It is real different from the myriad of recipes out there and is a very nice change. Best to you!

Ben — February 25, 2009 @ 7:42 AM

You are so right about choosing the right healthy food to feel like you actually ate. I love this confetti chili. It looks so festive and delicious :)

Bren — February 25, 2009 @ 8:00 AM

how about i’m loving the price tags ur using as labels! so chic smart! :) Great looking chili. I used to make a vegetarian one when I was in college; would be interesting to try it again… this has inspired that! :)

Lori Lynn — February 25, 2009 @ 8:01 AM

More beans! YAY.
    Your chili looks great, I like the colors and how you can see all the individual ingredients.
    LL

colleen — February 25, 2009 @ 9:38 AM

This looks so delicious and colorful!

Girl Japan — February 25, 2009 @ 9:38 AM

Oh Recipe gal.. I am so lusting after this dish, I have some beans a friend gave me, on hand and gosh this is what I call REAL filling, real healthy, real comfort food..corn bread on the side… The picture is stunning.

justeatfood — February 25, 2009 @ 1:28 PM

What a great way to get your colorful veggies in too! Looks beautiful.

Emily

Bunny — February 25, 2009 @ 5:20 PM

This isn’t diet food this is good food. after 3 weeks of watching what i eat and loosing 5 pounds i totally and absolutely blew it today. I ate everything at work today that i shouldn’t have, and you know what…it wasn’t all that great, I actually like eating healthier.

CARRIAN — February 25, 2009 @ 5:56 PM

Your chili looks delicious!!!

capitolagirl — February 25, 2009 @ 10:49 PM

Looks delish! Chili is my favorite on a cold day and that recipe looks yummy!

Tracy — February 26, 2009 @ 4:48 AM

Beautiful colors and flavors – cannot go wrong with a veggie chili.

Psychgrad — February 26, 2009 @ 5:11 AM

Looks good! I’m trying to not eat after dinner (a weak spot of mine) – so something filling like this would be great!

Deborah — February 26, 2009 @ 11:15 AM

I’ve been craving a good chili, and this sounds wonderful!

Melissa — February 26, 2009 @ 4:27 PM

Ellie Krieger, yes! Everyone I know who cooks healthy meals sings her praises. She does good stuff.

This definitely does not look like deprivation at the dinner table. I’m glad you never went that direction with your changes. It looks beautiful. :)

Sophie — February 27, 2009 @ 10:15 AM

Super tasty! My mom used to throw veggies into my chili when I was little to get me to eat them :D.

Diane @ Longaberger Lifestyle — January 18, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

I was looking for a chili recipe to share with my peeps on FB and flipped when I saw this. Laurie, you never let me down. I can’t wait to try this…and no chili powder either!! Mmmmmmm.
    Thanks!!!