Banana Bread + Cinnamon Chips = Love

Though I’ve tried countless recipes for banana bread over the years, I still find myself hunting for the next best recipe when my bananas begin to turn that delicious shade of black. “Can’t let those good rotten bananas go to waste!” I say. And I can’t imagine turning out the same banana bread recipe over and over and over again. That’s no fun now, is it? While chatting on Twitter the other day, someone mentioned having once tried an amazing Brown Butter Banana Bread. That sounded pretty good to me, but a prompt Google Search turned up nothing. I dreamt of Brown Butter all day long, imagining myself creating an amazing new banana bread recipe, but a visit to my pantry drew me in to another tempting flavor to play with: cinnamon baking chips.

Swayed by the chips, I created a new banana bread recipe: Cinnamon Chip Banana Bread.cinnamonbanana-bread-1
If you’ve never tried cinnamon chips, you must give them a shot. They’re not exactly easy to locate – sometimes they’ll be in your local market (Hershey’s makes them) and you can order them from KA Flour too.
cinnamonbanana-bread-2
This is a really banana-y banana bread… lots and lots of banana taste with a hint of cinnamon flavor too. The chips melt within the bread, and then it’s nice to have a sprinkle of chips on top that you can really taste.
cinnamonbanana-bread-3
No need to be stuck on cinnamon chips… use any chips or none at all. Either way, this was a very moist banana bread. Big hit with the family! (I even snuck in using 1/2 whole wheat flour).  So what’s special about this banana bread?  Maybe more mashed bananas than usual, the melted butter, the hint of cinnamon… not sure what makes it so good, but if I ever repeated the same banana bread recipe, I’d repeat this one.

I’d still like to work on creating the brown butter version. Count on seeing a version of it here sometime in the near future. Browned butter is too much of a delicious flavor to pass up. Pair it with banana bread and I think we might have a winner!

This recipe can be found here:  Cinnamon Chip Banana Bread

43 Responses to “Banana Bread + Cinnamon Chips = Love”

1. postedFeb 26, 2009 2:39 AM
    Girl Japan

Wow Cinnamon Chips? What a fab combo, where can one buy the chips/nibs? Thank you for sharing this fabulous recipe = )

2. postedFeb 26, 2009 5:23 AM
    Courtney

that looks soooo goood! i love cinnamon, i havnt seen the chips here yet but when i do i’ll be giving this a shot.

3. postedFeb 26, 2009 5:31 AM

Cinnamon Chips are so fabulous, but such a pain in the ass to find in “the wild.” I’ve only ever found them in a store once. It’s great to know that you can readily order them online though.

4. postedFeb 26, 2009 5:32 AM

Hi Lori!

I’ve never experienced cinnamon chips but surely they give an excellent tinge to the recipe.

Anyway your brown-delicious moist banana bread looks really appealing!!

BTW Twitter and tweeps can be a great source of inspiration :)

All the best!

Gera

5. postedFeb 26, 2009 6:58 AM

Sounds fabulous! What about a browned butter topping of sorts..?

6. postedFeb 26, 2009 7:23 AM

YES! I love brown sugar, and I love those new cinnamon chips. Put them in a moist banana bread, and I’m game! Sounds like a deliciously, creative recipe! (And looks even better!!!)

7. postedFeb 26, 2009 7:49 AM

Both banana breads sound wonderful. The couple of times I’ve made banana bread its always undercooked and over browned so I’ve since given up. Maybe if you come up with a browned butter version I just might have to give it a try.

I have a two bags of cinnamon chips I’ve been hording…you’re right they’re tough to come by!
    ~ingrid

8. postedFeb 26, 2009 8:44 AM

My boys are serious banana lovers so, although I try to save some to make banana bread, they always eat them all! I will have to hide some so I can try this!

9. postedFeb 26, 2009 9:25 AM

This came out beautifully! I wish cinnamon chips and pb chips didn’t contain milk … I really want to try them.

10. postedFeb 26, 2009 9:52 AM

I don’t think I could ever get sick of banana bread. I made one the other day and the whole loaf is already gone! I will have to hunt down some of these chips.

11. postedFeb 26, 2009 10:34 AM

this looks awesome! I love banana bread and also cinnamon :) Pity I don’t find cinnamon chips here :( This recipe is quite healthy too :)

12. postedFeb 26, 2009 11:09 AM

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. postedFeb 26, 2009 11:15 AM

Banana and cinnamon are a great combo. delicious!

14. postedFeb 26, 2009 11:16 AM
    Ivy

The banana bread sounds delicious. I have never seen any cinnamon chips but I can imagine the great combination with banana.

15. postedFeb 26, 2009 11:36 AM

Yummy! This recipe sounds delicious, and I’ve had a bag of cinnamon chips hanging out in the pantry for several months, looking for a job to do! Can’t wait to try your recipe!

16. postedFeb 26, 2009 1:03 PM
    Nirvana

This banana bread looks sooooooo good!

17. postedFeb 26, 2009 1:05 PM

This looks amazing – I’ve heard such good things about cinnamon chips, I need to go buy some!

18. postedFeb 26, 2009 1:17 PM

You can’t get more banana-y or cinnamon-y than that!

19. postedFeb 26, 2009 1:22 PM
    lo

I’ve been a serious skeptic when it comes to cinnamon chips. But, you’re seriously sold, huh?

Bread does look lovely.

20. postedFeb 26, 2009 1:34 PM

YUM!!! I love the addition of the cinnamon chips!!!

21. postedFeb 26, 2009 1:52 PM

Cinnamon chips sound perfect with banana bread!!yummy!

22. postedFeb 26, 2009 2:24 PM
    Lori Ann

You can find cinnamon baking chips at kingarthurflour.com.

Yummy recipe!

23. postedFeb 26, 2009 4:44 PM
    Flssgrl

I am gonna whip this bread up for sure. I myself have a 4 bag stash of Hershey Cinnamon Chips. Unfortunately they were on clearance so it seems I won’t be finding them in my store anymore either :(

24. postedFeb 26, 2009 5:08 PM

love banana bread. It always makes me think of my mom because we all went crazy when she would make banana bread!

25. postedFeb 26, 2009 6:08 PM

Off to hunt down some cinnamon chips…

26. postedFeb 26, 2009 10:25 PM
    rhyleysgranny

I have never heard of cinammon chips. What a great idea. your bread looks yum. I like the new re vamped site :)

27. postedFeb 27, 2009 4:19 AM

i’m quite certain that those little treasures known as cinnamon chips would improve any loaf of bread. :)

28. postedFeb 27, 2009 4:27 AM

mmm..I love that is has cinnamon chips in it!!! Have you tried my banana bread??

29. postedFeb 27, 2009 5:00 AM

I MUST find cinnamon chips!!

30. postedFeb 27, 2009 10:12 AM

I am a big banana bread fan–the cinnamon chips seem like a great addition

31. postedFeb 27, 2009 3:15 PM
    kellypea

This sounds like a perfect recipe considering how “banana-ey” and moist it was. Haven’t heard of the cinnamon chips, but think they sound yummy with this.

32. postedFeb 27, 2009 5:14 PM

RecipeGirl! It has been too long. Your website looks beautiful. Thank you for the tip. I just changed my settings so only 2 posts show up on the front page now.

This banana bread looks delectable! I have yet to try cinnamon chips and must pick up a bag the next time I’m at the market. They sound like a nice little pantry item!

33. postedFeb 27, 2009 7:01 PM

Oh my gosh!! I just bought cinnamon chips at the store today, I even told Carol I need to find some recipes for them cause i never bought them before!! Thanks!!

34. postedFeb 27, 2009 9:10 PM
    Chuck

Lori, we don’t have cinnamon chips here in Canada. Well, at least I’ve never seen them here. Next time I get the the USA I’ll pick some up. Would love to give them a try!

35. postedFeb 28, 2009 1:20 AM

Mmm I adore cinnamon and banana cake so this sounds like a perfect match

36. postedFeb 28, 2009 4:15 PM
    Nick

You must like your banana bread! Seems like you make a different version every week!

37. postedMar 1, 2009 10:48 AM

I wish I could find those cinnamon chips everyone raves about.
    I adore banana bread too and am always on the lookout on how to kick it up a notch. I know I would love this.

38. postedMar 3, 2009 6:22 PM

RG,
    I think I am on the only one who hasn’t tried these cinnamon chips!

39. postedMar 6, 2009 4:03 PM
    Mary

I made this with miniature chocolate chips, and it was ooooooh so good! Full of banana flavor and moist! It was almost all gone before it even cooled down!

Thanks for the continuously great recipes. Love the site!! :)

40. postedSep 8, 2009 6:39 PM
    Rachel

For those searching for cinnamon chips and those who could not eat them if they could find them (I heard milk was a problem) I have found an answer! http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/283346 At the bottom there is a recipie for the cinnamon bits you get in a scone. These are different from the hershey variety (the variations are explained at length in the discussion) but if it works it would be just as good or better. I have not yet tried it myself but with so much difficulty tracking them down it can’t hurt to try something so easy that could end up better, eh?

41. postedDec 31, 2009 11:58 AM

Banana bread is the best thing in the world. And with chocolate chips, it’s so so yummy.

Thanks for making my day.

42. postedSep 17, 2012 6:07 PM
    SCGardenGirl

Cinnamon chips are hard to find, in South Carolina they seem to be a “seasonal item” . In the local stores they are displayed in later Sept/Oct & I guess end when they sell out. When I find them- I buy at least 6 bags (i put the extras in the freezer to get me through the early spring)

you can order on line, from Amazon etc…… just be careful of you weather in your location- they will melt if shipped during a hot time of year. All brands I’ve tried are good, but some of the gourmet versions seem to be healthier & have a more pure cinnamon taste.

43. postedJan 17, 2013 6:41 PM
    Abby Sparrow

I just made this – a hit with my family!!! I even used ALL whole wheat flour (shhhhh don’t tell them!) It is suuuuper moist and delicious! This recipe is definitely a keeper.