Got a Kohlrabi & Don’t Know What To Do With It?

A visit to the Farmer’s Market last Sunday had me chatting with some organic hippies who were selling their beautiful vegetables. They sold me on Swiss Chard and a large bunch of beets, and then I inquired about the purple vegetable that was prominently on display for $1.00.
“That’s Kolrabi,” they explained.
“What the heck would I do with it?” I asked.
They told me that it would be best to experiment with it… put it in soups, eat it raw, put it in salads, etc. For a buck, I was willing to do that. So I carted home the kohlrabi along with my other veggie loot.
kohlrabi1
I have to say that I don’t believe I’ve ever seen kohlrabi… or if I have, I’ve never paid it much attention. I explored on the internet… most reviews of kohlrabi critiqued it as a bitter, not-so-flavorful veggie. The texture of kohlrabi is very similar to jicama, and some people eat it in a similar fashion- raw with a squirt of lime and a sprinkle of salt. Wanting to try something a little different, I knew I’d have to find a recipe that would counteract the bitter flavor and perhaps highlight the texture of the vegetable rather than the flavor. I chose: Kohlrabi and Apple Salad with Creamy Mustard Dressing.
kohlrabi-picnik-collage
In this recipe, the kohlrabi is left raw. It’s shredded along with apple- the sweet ingredient to balance the bitter taste.
kohlrabi5
The shredded apple/kohlrabi is then tossed with a creamy dressing made from whipping cream, lemon, sugar, whole grain mustard & Italian parsley.
kohlrabi6
I chose to dress my salad lightly since I’m eating healthy, but I definitely can see how wonderful it would be if dressed as creamy as coleslaw. This first experience with kohlrabi was a good one. I loved the crunch, and pairing it with the apple was perfect- no bitter flavor at all. The dressing… yes, it was made with decadent whipping cream, which likely made it more appealing. I might suggest trying to sub lowfat plain Greek yogurt to see how that works.

So the next time you find yourself saddled with a kohlrabi, try it in a salad!

This recipe can be found HERE.

32 Responses to “Got a Kohlrabi & Don’t Know What To Do With It?”

Donalyn — March 11, 2009 @ 3:22 AM

I love Kohlrabi – we have even grown it before. We like it sauteed in butter or cooked and then mashed with some sharp cheese. I will have to give this a try too!

Sylvie — March 11, 2009 @ 4:30 AM

I just cut it into chunky strips, steam it, toss it in some melted butter and grate some fresh nutmeg over the top. Simple and delicious. It’s one of my favourite vegetables but not that widely available here in the UK. It’s very popular in Germany where I grew up though.

patsyk — March 11, 2009 @ 4:43 AM

I’ve never had kohlrabi either, but at least now I know what to do w/it when I do find it at the farmer’s market in the summer! Looks yummy!

Maria — March 11, 2009 @ 5:59 AM

I’ve never had kohlrabi! I am glad you tried it and shared a recipe! I will have to look for it now!

Elle — March 11, 2009 @ 6:01 AM

What a great way to use that! I’ve never tried it, either, but I won’t be so quick to pass it by again.

Erika Kerekes — March 11, 2009 @ 6:24 AM

I had never even seen a kohlrabi until I married my Hungarian husband. My mother-in-law taught me to peel them, slice them, and eat them raw. The smaller ones are sweeter and more tender, and they need no adornment. And think of all the cancer-fighting cruciferousness!

nina — March 11, 2009 @ 9:22 AM

I have always walked passed this one at the markets, but from now on, I will have to stop. The salad is tempting….

joan nova — March 11, 2009 @ 9:46 AM

Interesting. I’ve never bought it but it seems limited in its use. Looks like you made the best of it pairing with apple and a creamy dressing.

Núria — March 11, 2009 @ 10:35 AM

First of all, congratulations on the new web design, it’s lovely! I really like it :D.
    And second, if I ever find one kohlrabi in the market I will follow your advise. First time for me too!

Vicki — March 11, 2009 @ 10:56 AM

Ooh, I’ve never seen a purple one before, how pretty! Too bad I’m allergic to the yummy things :(

Jillian — March 11, 2009 @ 10:58 AM

I have never made kohlrabi at home. This salad looks like a great idea!

jennywenny — March 11, 2009 @ 11:34 AM

You dont necessarily have to forgo a creamy dressing if its done right. I mix some hellmans low fat mayo with yoghurt or buttermilk and it makes a lovely creamy and pretty healthy dressing.

C — March 11, 2009 @ 1:01 PM

Will definitely try this the next time I find some kohlrabi

Girl — March 11, 2009 @ 2:15 PM

I think you found a fabulous way to use them!!!! I think I’ve had something similar, it is part of the turnip family?

Karen — March 11, 2009 @ 2:02 PM

I’d never seen kholrabi until I moved to Montana. I blogged about it here http://ohboykarencooks.blogspot.com/2008/08/what-heck-is-that.html

Looks like pretty much the same recipe you used :)

RecipeGirl — March 11, 2009 @ 3:32 PM

Looks like we worked from the same recipe! It was much easier to eat shredded I would imagine than in the julienned strips.

Elyse — March 11, 2009 @ 9:43 PM

Way to branch out! This salad sound delicious! I love trying new veggies. Great job exploring the possibilities of this veggie.

Janet — March 11, 2009 @ 11:10 PM

Sounds fab! Also, a “must make”… I’ve just got to find a substitute for the cream! Thanks for this one!

VeggieGirl — March 12, 2009 @ 3:25 AM

So intriguing!!

Tracy — March 12, 2009 @ 4:55 AM

I never actually heard of this, seems like you used it well. The salad looks yummy.

Rosie — March 12, 2009 @ 7:53 AM

I’ve never had kohlrabi but this salad really does look scrummy!

Rosie x

cookiepie — March 12, 2009 @ 8:58 AM

Oh wow – that sounds really fabulous — light and delicious!

Capitola Girl — March 12, 2009 @ 12:06 PM

That’s neat. I never heard of Kohlrabi before, but it looks like a nice mix with the apple. I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled for it next time I’m at the Farmer’s Market!

Laurie — March 12, 2009 @ 1:25 PM

Is that what those are? :) I love your recipe Lori.. yum!
    Laurie,

Bunny — March 12, 2009 @ 4:50 PM

I had never heard of kohlrabi either until I met my hubby. He eats it raw and says it’s a cross between a radish and a turnip. Interesting!

Shari — March 12, 2009 @ 5:21 PM

I love the color. I’ll have to hunt one down since I’ve never done anything with them either.

Cate O'Malley — March 12, 2009 @ 6:44 PM

Such a beautiful color, and you sure can’t beat the price. So jealous you have a farmer’s market – can’t wait till the weather gets warm enough for ours to open up.

Manggy — March 12, 2009 @ 11:31 PM

Hee, I’ve never seen it either, but then again they don’t exist in the Philippines. Sounds like you’re well on your way to becoming a Kohlrabi expert :)

pigpigscorner — March 14, 2009 @ 12:34 AM

I don’t even know what it is.

Lindsey Cook — March 16, 2009 @ 8:07 AM

My dad’s side of the family and my mom uses Kohlrabi in their chicken soup stock. I have a terrible time trying to find it in Dallas but have made “papa’s favorite chicken soup” without it; it isn’t quite the same. I’ll have to check out the farmer’s market here. The salad looks great!

Suzanne — June 16, 2009 @ 3:41 AM

i had never had kohlrabi before, either, but i got some free seed and figured i’d try it. i have been harvesting it now for about a week, and i don’t know where this “bitterness” comes from. i find the freshly picked vegetable sweet and light and crunchy. i chopped it up into small dice and added it to a strawberry-mango salsa i made. fantastic. but i find it delicious raw.

Cory Hansen — July 29, 2011 @ 1:49 PM

I have frozen my over abundance of Kohlrabi. Cooked until tender, diced and spread out on cookie sheet and frozen & then placed in freezer bags. I love to sautee in browned butter in the winter with a meat loaf. But, I’m looking for other ideas. Can Kohlrabi be canned, like a relish? Does anyone have any other ideas?