Weight Loss/Biggest Loser Update – 1 Month Later…

Today marks exactly 1 month since I *won* The Biggest Loser contest at my gym.  If you’ve just started reading my blog, you can read all about it here.   Though I blogged my menus and exercise pretty obsessively while in the midst of the contest, I haven’t really talked much about it since the big win.  So how am I doing?

Well, I weighed myself this morning and I’m exactly 1/2 pound lighter than the day of the Biggest Loser final weigh-in.  So basically, I’ve maintained my loss so far.  I’m perfectly happy with that since I’ve enjoyed occasional less-healthy food and managed to survive baking several goodies without devouring too much.

What my healthy-eating/exercise plan is like today?

When I was participating in the contest, I managed two hour workouts and watched my intake of food very closely.  I’m still exercising- sometimes two hour workouts, but more realistically about 60 to 75 minutes.  I have an ankle injury that is preventing me from running & high impact exercise, so I usually do the elliptical machine/bike for a good amount of time and then finish up with a few weights and ab exercises.  I feel best when I work out every day, and I find that if I can get my workout in 1st thing in the morning then I’m more likely to be on track for healthy eating for the rest of the day.

As far as eating is concerned, I’m still eating that Kashi Puff cereal for breakfast :)  I usually stick 1/2 banana in there, and that satisfies me for a couple of hours.  I do a salad or a whole grain turkey wrap for lunch.  In general, I try to cook lots of vegetables and have a protein for dinner.  Sometimes I’ll include brown rice or whole wheat pasta.

It’s important to mention that I haven’t been perfect.  I’ve had my share of Girl Scout Cookies, I sample my baked goods, I drink wine when I want to, and I even made pasta with cream sauce one night!  But I balance all of that out with daily exercise followed by more healthy eating the next day.   I continue to stay away from all fried foods, super-fattening desserts, and fast food.  All of this hard work in exercising has most-definitely increased my metabolism, which I’m thrilled about.  But I’m also aware that at my age I’ll need to keep it up or I’ll lose it.

My current plan?  Just this week, my husband has jumped on the healthy-eating/exercising bandwagon, which is extremely helpful.  He doesn’t want junk around and he’d like healthy choices to be available for each meal.  This will get me back on track to losing more.   The other day, after my husband returned from a rather long business trip, he took one look at me and said, “Honey, I don’t think you need to lose any more.  You look great the way you are right now.”   Isn’t he great?  That made me happy, but I still have a few more I’d like to get rid of.  You know those skinny clothes that everyone tucks into the back of their closet just-in-case they ever fit into them again? I’m wearing most of mine :) I went to the mall yesterday for the first time in a long time. I didn’t buy any pants because I’m still losing sizes (have lost 2-3 sizes since I began), but I came home with a boatload of cute, summery tops- and most of them are in a smaller size than the old me wore!

Onward with healthy eating!  Hope I’ve inspired you somewhat to do the same :)

30 Responses to “Weight Loss/Biggest Loser Update – 1 Month Later…”

Janet — March 14, 2009 @ 7:00 AM

Awesome! I had been wondering how you were doing, and am glad you even let us know of the rough times, too. Isn’t wearing the cute stuff just an amazing reward?! I’ve lost 14.7 so far in 5 weeks- only 25.3 to go! Thanks for the inspiration!

Maria — March 14, 2009 @ 7:04 AM

You are awesome! Congrats on your success!

KatieG — March 14, 2009 @ 7:21 AM

Congrats! You sound so motivated and positive. That’s great energy!

Shari — March 14, 2009 @ 7:41 AM

Very inspiring! Congratulations!

Reeni — March 14, 2009 @ 7:41 AM

That’s wonderful! Definitely inspiring!

Elyse — March 14, 2009 @ 7:56 AM

SOunds like you–and your hubby–are doing just great!! Congrats on the maintenance–that’s the most challenging part, and you’re doing fabulously!

HoneyB — March 14, 2009 @ 8:08 AM

Sounds like you’ve got it together! We can’t always be saints and you have done great by not gaining weight back! I maintain too. LOL, but I really need to get on the bandwagon and LOSE instead of maintain!

Leslie Green — March 14, 2009 @ 9:26 AM

Way to keep it up. And it always a help when the hubby want to eat healthy as well!

Lisa — March 14, 2009 @ 10:10 AM

Awesome for you! You are so inspiring!

sharon — March 14, 2009 @ 12:50 PM

Wow, 2hr workouts! Now that’s inspiring!

Paula — March 14, 2009 @ 4:38 PM

WOW way to go!! Keep up the healthy lifestyle!

patsyk — March 14, 2009 @ 5:34 PM

You are doing so great! I keep telling you that you are quite an inspiration to me keeping up my workouts. :)

VeggieGirl — March 15, 2009 @ 3:18 AM

Good luck to you and your husband now!! :-D

Aggie — March 15, 2009 @ 6:19 AM

Oh Lori, good for you!! This was a great read…I’m happy your husband is on board, it makes it so much easier. And such a sweet comment!

Lori — March 15, 2009 @ 7:03 AM

Congratulations! Good for you! I love reading about your success. It sounds like you are doing so well with making it a realistic, long term lifestyle change. You set such a great example for others!

CookiePie — March 15, 2009 @ 11:17 AM

Congrats on keeping the weight off! You’re so inspiring, even keeping up your workout when you’re injured! It’s good that you’ve allowed yourself some treats, too — life has to be fun too :) All the best on your continued success!!

nina — March 15, 2009 @ 11:26 AM

Thank you, I need all the help I can get!!! Well done for sticking with your plan!!!

Nicole — March 15, 2009 @ 12:33 PM

Yeah! Good for you. I know it isn’t always easy. Exercise and balance are key. Fast food is the worst I think!

Jenni — March 15, 2009 @ 1:30 PM

Oh, hooray for you that you are fitting into the skinny clothes. I’m glad you point out that you haven’t been “perfect.” It really is all about moderation and balance. And the occasional cream sauce :D

Aimee — March 15, 2009 @ 5:30 PM

The best part of all this is that your hubby is on board with you.
    Great job!

ingrid — March 15, 2009 @ 6:12 PM

Oh, congrats, some how I missed that! How awesome and even better you’re maintaining it, too! That’s impressive after eating that fabulous Greek spread you put on a week or so ago. I think I gain weight reading about it.
    ~ingrid

jennywenny — March 16, 2009 @ 8:08 AM

Yay!! Good for you. Keep it up.

Rosie — March 16, 2009 @ 8:19 AM

Good luck and you are doing well!!

Tracy — March 16, 2009 @ 11:22 AM

Congrats, and I am loving your enthusiasm over the whole thing, you deserve to be proud of your accomplisments! Good on you for not quiting with an ankle injury but simply altering your activity.

Melissa — March 16, 2009 @ 12:54 PM

Yes! Onward and upward! Just getting started on a new plan this week. And isn’t it so much easier when you have hub on board?

Katrina — March 17, 2009 @ 7:50 PM

You go, Lori!

cakebrain — March 22, 2009 @ 7:48 PM

Yay! I’m so glad to see you’ve maintained your weight loss. For me, eating out is the problem on the weekends. It’s our form of entertainment. If I don’t run every day, I tend to gain my weight back. Spring break was just a killer for eating out. I’ll have to watch my diet closely for the next couple of weeks to get back on track. After I lost 7 pounds, I rewarded myself with the Wii Fit…but it turns out that good ol’ cardio is still a better workout. oh well. Good going with your long workouts. I wish I had an hour to burn calories! I only have 20 minutes each evening before bedtime. Keep it up! it’s so hard with a food blog, isn’t it?

Cindy — April 6, 2009 @ 8:42 AM

I just read all your posts on your weight loss journey, “Congratulations!!!” It’s tough to do. I am also a fan of Biggets Looser and Jillian Michaels, just ordered her new book. I am curious, Jillian is big on counting calories and “eating” some of your work out calories. Just curious did you count your calories??
    How many were you eating a day???

Keep going, Glad your DH decided to get healthy, wish mine would!

RecipeGirl — April 6, 2009 @ 10:36 AM

Cindy- thanks! No, I don’t count my calories. But I would say that I keep somewhat of a mental note of what I’m eating during the day. When I was in the midst of the contest it really helped to journal everything. Extreme workouts really help balance everything out. My husband & I are having a weight loss challenge between the two of us this week :)

Cindy — April 6, 2009 @ 8:50 PM

Thanks for answering my post, “Good Luck” this week!