How to Make Wedding Cupcakes

That title should read… “How to Make Wedding Cupcakes when You’re Not Really a Professional Cupcake Baker!”

Since I’m always bringing treats to people, those people occasionally ask if they can hire me to make treats. Not really wishing to create a business of making and selling food, I typically decline- however, a very sweet, young teacher at my son’s school was getting married last weekend and asked if I would do the cupcakes for her wedding. (In case you’re not in on the latest, apparently cupcakes are a hip alternative to a fancy wedding cake nowadays). We met and discussed the project, and I found myself agreeing to make 96 cupcakes! I owe a huge, HUGE thank you to my Twitter pal and “real-life” cupcake professional Kristin who has a business called Meringue Bake Shop in Southern California.  Kristin took the time to share tips and advice about making cupcakes for clients.

Here are the details:
The bride wanted white and chocolate cupcakes with buttercream frosting. I tested out some recipes and frosting patterns in the weeks prior to the wedding.

The recipes chosen are at the bottom of this post.

The bride also wanted a combination of white, light blue and light yellow frosting. She chose two different frosting patterns and wanted some with pearls and some without.

Here are some of the pictures…

How to Make Wedding Cupcakes - from RecipeGirl.com

I used a 1G Tip by Bakery Crafts for this simple swirl. The chocolate cupcake recipe used was excellent. It was really easy to make and it stayed pretty flat on top, making it easier to pipe the frosting.

How to Make Wedding Cupcakes - from RecipeGirl.com
I used a 2D Wilton tip for this more funky pattern.

I loved the white cupcake… though I’m a little embarrassed to tell you about the recipe. It was a doctored-up cake mix recipe (gasp!!) I know that’s not very gourmet, and it’s completely atypical of how I usually bake, but I’m telling you that these cupcakes were GOOD!! And again, a really easy recipe to make- the tops stayed nice and flat & easy for frosting.

How to Make Wedding Cupcakes - from RecipeGirl.com
How to Make Wedding Cupcakes - from RecipeGirl.com

My kitchen and dining room were a sea of cupcakes for the better part of a day!

The bride requested that I make a dozen completely sugar-free cupcakes for a few guests who were not able to eat sugar.

How to Make Wedding Cupcakes - from RecipeGirl.com
I’m not big on baking with Splenda, but both the cupcake recipe and the frosting recipe I used had Spenda in them instead of sugar. They were okay. I don’t particularly like the flavor that Splenda imparts, but I have to say that these were a good alternative dessert for those who can’t have the sugar.

The bride also asked that I make her a small cake for the top tier of her cupcake display. They wanted to be able to cut into a little wedding cake.

How to Make Wedding Cupcakes - from RecipeGirl.com

I made a 6-inch two layer cake. I used the same cake recipe as the cupcakes- same frosting recipe too. The tip used for the edging was the Wilton 2D. The bride placed flowers on top of the cake for additional decor.

Though it was a ton of work, it was a fun project to do. And I actually feel pretty good about how they turned out (having never, ever done fancy cupcakes before!) Now that I’m a “paid cupcake-baking professional,” I’m sure that it won’t be quite as difficult to do next time.

Here are all of the recipes:
Chocolatey Cupcakes (not dipped in the ganache)
White Wedding Cupcakes
White Wedding Buttercream
White Wedding Cake
Sugar Free Chocolate Cupcakes
Sugar Free Chocolate Frosting
If you can have a little bit of sugar in the frosting, I prefer this chocolate frosting recipe

233 Responses to “How to Make Wedding Cupcakes”

1. postedMar 28, 2011 5:23 PM
    Diana

Hi, First of all, beautiful cupcakes and decorations, very talented talent. I’m making cupcakes, cake pops and a cake for a 5 year old birthday party, I was just wondering how the frosting tasted? Is it similar to whipped cream, which is what I usually use. I would hate to have it taste greasy

• March 28th, 2011 @ 9:43 PM

@Diana, It doesn’t taste like grocery store cupcake icing, that’s for sure… those are made w/ shortening. This is your typical buttercream frosting- it’s not like whipped cream. Best to try it out first if you want to make sure it’s what you’re looking for.

2. postedApr 25, 2011 3:33 PM

Beautiful cupcakes! So elegant and lovely!

3. postedApr 25, 2011 5:02 PM

Very pretty, Lori! It’s amazing how much work it is to make cupcakes or a cake for an event like a wedding.

4. postedApr 25, 2011 6:03 PM

Gorgeous cupcakes, what a helpful post!!

5. postedJun 27, 2011 9:55 PM
    Debra

FIRST, I must say, I am in NO WAY A BAKER; however, YOU inspired me to bake ‘wedding cupcakes’ and a ‘wedding cake’ (sm. one) for our daughter’s wedding… (A ‘wedding’ cake was going to cost upwards of $600.00!) SO, I practiced making c.c.’s using your recipes for the last 3 mths at every family get-together; and two weeks ago I made approx 250 regular cupcakes and about 100 mini’s, along w/a 3-layer wedding cake AND groom’s cake! THANK YOU for the inspiration AND the AWESOME recipes!~ EVERYONE (close to 200 peope!) RAVED how melt-in-the-mouth YUMMY they were!!

I did reduce the flour and sugar to 3/4 c. each (which made them a little lighter and less sweet) and I “coned out” the centers of about 2/3’s of the c.c. and filled them w/a raspberry topping, fudge filling, and ‘dulce de leche’; then recapped and frosted using a 1M tip (couldn’t find the one you used-but the outcome was VERY similar) and topped with the ‘pearls’ (and some glitter on the cakes:)….. SOOOOO elegant!
    The buttercream frosting: For our ‘sweet-tooth’, we found using only 1-1/2 c. Pwdrd sugar and mixing (in a stand mixer) for 30-sec (to cream butter); then 2-3 min increments (5-6 min total) made it A LOT whiter, WAY less sweet, and VERY light–but still stiff; WONDERFUL, COULD NOT STOP EATING IT 🙂 and it does double VERY WELL! YES, it was time consuming– BUT, it was a ‘Labor of Love’ :~) and I would do it all over again! Actually…..This 4th of July weekend we will be holding a 3-day family reunion w/approx. 150-200 attending and I will be putting your recipes to use AGAIN!!!

I CANNOT thank you enough–nor can the new ‘bride and groom’! I will ~forever~ be using your wedding cupcake recipes!!! God Bless!

• June 27th, 2011 @ 10:40 PM

What a great message! So glad they worked out!

6. postedJul 13, 2011 11:08 AM
    Dawn

Beautiful cupcakes! where did you get the pearls?

• July 13th, 2011 @ 11:42 PM

At a baking supply store. Craft stores should have them too!

7. postedAug 3, 2011 7:07 PM
    Jan

Thanks so much for this site and the great pictures and recipes. My future daughter in law mentioned to me she would like cupcakes at the wedding but wasn’t sure who to ask. This site inspired me to make 400 regular and 225 mini cupcakes for her and my son’s wedding in June. I used your white wedding cake recipe, a strawberry cream cheese and two kinds of chocolate recipes. I used your buttercream frosting recipe and added cocoa to it for the chocolate. Colors were pool blue, ivory and I added a little brown coloring to the chocolate frosting. Everything was amazing! I received so many compliments and have somehow managed to commit to 2 more weddings. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and talent with others!

• August 4th, 2011 @ 7:21 AM

Love hearing that the recipe was a success. Thanks for sharing that, and I’m glad it is working out for you!

8. postedAug 11, 2011 12:02 AM
    Michelle

These look great and sounds like something I could do for my grand-daughter’s wedding.
    Thank you..

9. postedSep 12, 2011 8:49 PM
    BDE

Want to try the frosting. but I live in a tropical island will the frosting melt if i were to have an outdoor wedding.

• September 13th, 2011 @ 9:18 PM

The only way you will know is if you test it out and see!

10. postedSep 30, 2011 12:00 PM
    lisa brakebill

Omg… I used this recipe to make my daughter’s birthday cake. I used 3 small cake pans and did a gradual color change with each pan using purple gel coloring. The taste was amazing! Thank you SOOOO much!

• September 30th, 2011 @ 1:34 PM

How fun! I’ve always wanted to try a rainbow cake like that.

11. postedOct 15, 2011 8:17 AM
    Natasha

Thank you sooo much for these recipes. I have been searching for so good chocolate and vanilla cupcakes as well as a good buttercream to use at my wedding a little under a month away. I was starting to panic because I couldn’t find anything I liked and even started to gain a bit of weight taste testing everything! lol All of these recipes turned out great and I will be using them for my big day 🙂

• October 16th, 2011 @ 10:39 AM

Glad to hear!

12. postedNov 26, 2011 9:07 PM
    Misty

I just made a batch of these tonight. I used egg whites from a carton instead of separating 4 eggs. I feel like the cupcakes were not sweet enough, stuck to the cupcake liners, and it had a strange consistency (like too many air bubbles). I used the cheapest cupcake liners and maybe I beat the batter for too long? The butter cream turned out really good!

• November 26th, 2011 @ 9:19 PM

All I can think of is that it must have been the carton egg whites.

13. postedJan 3, 2012 2:04 PM
    Suzanne

Thanks for this post! Did they transport well in a large box (no sliding around)? How many cupcakes fit in a box (and do you remember the size box you used?)

• January 5th, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

I used cupcake boxes, so there were dividers already in between each cupcake. I think it would be pretty hard to do otherwise.

14. postedFeb 20, 2012 6:44 PM
    Susan Rao

I was so excited to make these as they looked so beautiful! They didn’t cook??? I cooked for 18 minutes, then another 2 and another 2 and another 2…then the outside was “hard” but the inside was doughy. Disappointed to say the least. Followed the instructions exactly 🙁

• February 21st, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

Susan- I’m not sure what to say… something tells me that you must have made an error somewhere- I make them all the time, and if you read the reviews… others have had success as well. Don’t give up on the recipe- it’s a good one!

15. postedMar 19, 2012 12:08 PM
    Amy

This recipe is amazing!!! Thank you so much for posting it! I have noticed that Duncan Hines cut the package size of the Classic cake mixes from 18.25 oz to 16.5 oz. Do you know if the recipe above will still work for the new cake mix size?

• March 19th, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

I had no idea that they changed the ounces- that’s horrible! I’m not sure… I haven’t tried it with the new amount. Seems pretty insignificant, but you never know.

16. postedMar 25, 2012 11:10 AM
    jennifer

Hi there! For my upcoming wedding I will be making my own cupcakes, which is very exciting but terrifying (don’t want to screw up) I have been practicing different methods of keeping the cupcakes fresh for the big day and have come to the conclusion that I will need to make them no more than 4 days in advance. I will be making just the cupcakes (the doctored up white cake recipe that I got from this article, sooo tasty) on a wednesday evening for the saturday event. The frosting will be whipped up (the buttercream recipe) the day before. The cupcakes will need to be stored and then I will be transportng them in my car from my home to where the wedding will be (about an hour away) What tips do you have for storing them for the days leading up the wedding and for the car ride? I have purchased cupcake holders for the finished cupcakes (didn’t want the frosting to get smooshed) but Im afraid that I don’t have room for all of them in my fridge (I am making 5 dozen). Would it be okay to leave them in the holders but just leave them on the counter? Or should they be in the fridge? any advise would be much appreciated

• March 26th, 2012 @ 5:15 PM

I cleared out my fridge and refrigerated mine. Transport was easy since I had nice cupcake boxes. I’d suggest experimenting with leaving some out at room temp and refrigerating some and see which ones you like better.

17. postedMar 31, 2012 8:29 AM
    Jan

@Jennifer – I made 625 cupcakes for my son’s wedding and froze them 2 weeks prior to the wedding and decorated them the day before, and then refrigerated until putting them out for the reception. They were amazing! So moist and and delicious. So don’t be afraid to make them a week or two prior to your big day. You will have enough going on the week of the wedding, that getting the cupcakes out of the way will be a good idea. Good luck and best wishes!

18. postedMay 30, 2012 9:13 PM
    Michele

How very lovely these turned out! I am doing 120 cupcakes for a wedding in 2 weeks. I am very nervous about it. I have made dozens of cakes and sold a lot, but this is my first order for wedding cupcakes! I don’t even know how much icing I need, can’t decide how much to put on each one! Thanks for your post, it made me a bit less nervous!

19. postedJul 8, 2012 9:49 AM
    Cami Mattingly

Used your recipe for the wedding cupcakes and icing to make my son’s 16th birthday cake. If I can figure out how, I’ll post the pic!!!! Take wait to taste it.

20. postedJul 20, 2012 9:27 PM
    rose johnson

Would this work for a half sheet cake? Thanks Rose

• July 22nd, 2012 @ 1:46 PM

I’m not sure. It makes enough batter for three 8-inch rounds pans, if that helps!

21. postedAug 1, 2012 10:10 PM
    Heather T

These turned out yummy! Makes a ton of cupcakes, so next time I will have to half the recipe.

22. postedAug 12, 2012 6:17 PM
    Dana

I just made these for my daughters birthday. They were fantastic! Cupcakes were great and frosting was great! I will definitely be making these for many more birthdays. Thanks for the awesome recipes!

23. postedAug 18, 2012 11:28 AM
    Marie Ward

I volunteered to do a neighbors daughter wedding cup cake display (150). They are were filled cupcakes. It took forever to do! Lots of work. I like you looked for the best recipes for this project. Did some samples and tried out on my friends. I used a six tier cake display for the cupcakes. She wanted milk chocolate shells on some (beach theme) and silk dazy blooms on others. Like I said lots of work and just did it because I never had before! Fun, but lots of work. A week later my niece asked me to do it again at her wedding reception. Got some good pictures and will send when I can find them. For the top of my nieces cake I used one those large cupcake pans. Looked really neat!!

• August 19th, 2012 @ 7:18 AM

Yes, lots of work- but everyone is so happy in the end! Glad it worked out okay for you!

24. postedAug 29, 2012 1:23 PM
    Sam

OMG, I have been asked by a good friend of mine to make her wedding cupcakes/small cake. Im soo NOT a baker. Im happy to help out to keep her costs down (im doing it for love). But… and its a BIG but.. im freaking out. When did you ice the cakes? Was it the day of the wedding or the day before? And when did you make the cakes?? Did you have to refrigerate the iced cupcakes before the big day? My piping bag broke at the last test bake. Not good. haha 🙂

• August 30th, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

I only had about 100 to ice, so I baked the night before and then iced the morning of. I don’t see any problem with completing them the night before though- as long as you are storing them refrigerated in cupcake boxes (I bought at a baking supply store). They’ll come to room temp the next day and be just fine!

25. postedAug 30, 2012 9:48 PM
    Candy

My son is getting married in 4 weeks and I am doing fresh floral arrangements – 11 tables, 2 alter arrangements, 7 bouquets and 7 boutineers I think I am crazy to try to do cupcakes too, but if I make the 100 cupcakes 1 week ahead and freeze them, then ice them the morning before the evening wedding I can do it!! You have done all the experimenting. I am going to buy the cheap frosting and try my hand at the swirl thing. He can’t afford $2.50 per cupcake plus $50 for the small cake on top of the display. Thank you for the recipes.

• August 31st, 2012 @ 9:56 AM

Glad you found me- good luck!

26. postedAug 31, 2012 11:42 AM
    Candy

I have one question — is the swirl on the cupcake done in one complete movement or is it two?

• August 31st, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

one movement!

27. postedSep 1, 2012 10:44 PM
    Candy

So can I hire you to do 100 cupcakes (all white with a swirl and pearl candy) and one simple 6″ cake for a wedding on September 30th? I live in Yorba Linda.

• September 2nd, 2012 @ 11:10 AM

Hi Candy, Unfortunately I don’t do that sort of thing… just did it as a favor for a teacher at my son’s school a few years back, but it’s not something that I do on a regular basis. Sorry- I really wish I could help!

28. postedNov 18, 2012 5:50 AM
    Realyn

Yeah these are definitely ‘melt-in-your-mouth’ cucpakes! I was also tempted to pipe/infuse the middle of the cupcake with the frosting and just top them with crushed candy canes, perhaps next time! 🙂

29. postedDec 5, 2012 4:50 AM
    Emma

I made the buttercream frosting and it had a rough taste in your mouth not light and fluffy. Is there something i did wrong?

• December 5th, 2012 @ 5:37 AM

Yes, I’ve heard this before. It likely has something to do with the powdered sugar you chose. Some powdered sugar is not 100% sugar… look at your ingredients and make sure it is. I’d use a higher quality powdered sugar for best results.

30. postedJan 5, 2013 11:45 AM
    Sue

Made these today and had to trash. Way too dense and heavy. I was so disappointed.

31. postedJan 7, 2013 6:00 PM
    ashley

What technique did you use to do the funky frosting pattern on the all white cupcakes? A visual demonstration would be very helpful!!

• January 9th, 2013 @ 7:57 PM

I definitely need to do a video demo!

32. postedJan 18, 2013 8:23 AM
    Janetta

I’m with Ashley above, I would love a video or even written instruction describing how you did the white “funky” frosting. I’ve tried it with that exact tip (Wilton 2D) and cannot for the life of me get it to look like that, which I love. I own a small home based cake business (I have a domestic kitchen license) but just can’t seem to figure this obey out, making me feel a bit silly. Did you swirl it like the others or use a different movement?

• January 18th, 2013 @ 9:11 AM

clearly, I need to do a video…!

33. postedJan 27, 2013 6:06 PM
    Penny

Made these cupcakes for the 2nd time, only today I used Duncan Hines French Vanilla and 3 whole eggs instead of 3 egg whites. They were alot fluffier than the previous ones. Also, most of the Duncan Hines cake mixes are 18.25 ozs. I made 1-1/2 batches of the wedding butter cream icing and used tip 2D icing all 36 cupcakes with a little icing left over.

34. postedFeb 6, 2013 10:47 PM
    Dawn

They look fab but go easy on the pearls…they can hurt the teeth!!!

• February 7th, 2013 @ 10:40 AM

Yes! Though the frosting does tend to soften them up a bit.

35. postedMar 13, 2013 9:51 AM
    Susan Hall

Friends are having a TRON themed baby shower for a special Mom. I was asked to do 36 cupcakes for the party. After searching the net for a few hours I could almost taste how good your white wedding cake recipe would be. I wanted a cake with a little more “body” to it as I am adding Neon Food Coloring Gel to the cake and your buttercream frosting. The cupcakes will be very colorfull and psychedelic! Thanks for your help!

36. postedApr 9, 2013 5:00 AM
    Donna

Hi Lori,

Thank you so much for your wonderful article! I have just been “commissioned” to do a wedding in August (for a friend) – I am always making cupcakes (birthdays, engagements, bridal showers, etc) and have perfected gluten free and dairy free adaptations, and practiced my piping to perfection. I love your ideas and am using your example as inspiration for my very first wedding cakes. 🙂

Xx Donna

37. postedApr 12, 2013 8:28 AM
    Karen

Hi, I can’t wait to try this out! My best friend is getting married in July and we want to make cupcakes for it. My question is, can you freeze the cupcakes for a week and refrigerate the icing a couple days? Also, if she wanted chocolate as well do we just substitute white cake mid for chocolate? Thanks for the great recipes!!

38. postedApr 16, 2013 1:59 PM
    Anna

Wow. Stunningly beautiful. I want to do cupcakes with a big red frosting rose on each for the Kentucky Derby and I am loathe to use shortening. Do you think your frosting recipe will hold up to forming roses? (I’ve never done them, but they look like they require a fairly “stiff” buttercream.)

Is there such a thing as piping the roses beforehand and just plopping them on the cupcakes the day of the event?

Again…absolutely gorgeous cupcakes!

• April 17th, 2013 @ 8:25 PM

I’ve never piped roses, so I’m not sure. I wouldn’t count on it though so you’d have to test it out!

39. postedJul 9, 2013 7:49 PM
    Ashley

When is this video coming? I’ve got the right tools but I still don’t think my technique is quite right. Please and thank you!!

40. postedJul 28, 2013 6:58 PM
    Marjie

Here is the recipe I was given from a Wilton cake decorating class. It is non dairy and is very good.

1 cup solid shortening (Crisco)
    ½ cup milk or water
    1 tsp. clear vanilla
    1 tsp. butter flavoring (optional)
    ¼ to ½ tsp. almond flavoring (optional)
    ¾ tsp. cream of tartar
    2 Tbsp. Meringue Powder
    ½ tsp. salt (dissolve salt in milk)
    2 lbs. powdered sugar (no need to sift)

Blend all ingredients for 30 seconds. Top mixer and with spatula reach down underneath beaters to blend any dry powdered sugar with blended mixture. Beat at medium speed for 3-5 minutes until fluffy. Leftover icing can be stored in refrigerator for months or it can be frozen. Water can be used in place of milk, however it will sometimes be impossible to obtain true red, pink or purple when using water. To use this recipe to frost the cake you may need to add a small amount of milk to reach desired spreading consistency. Orange juice, coffee, maraschino cherry juice, etc. can be substituted for the milk. Yield 5-6 cups.

• July 29th, 2013 @ 8:58 PM

Thanks for sharing!

41. postedSep 8, 2013 12:58 PM
    Samantha

Over a year ago I volunteered to make cupcakes for a wedding reception. I had no idea what I was going to do, so I googled White Wedding Cupcakes and the first thing I found was this recipe. I read through it and it sounded good to me. We purchased the ingredients and started baking 120 cupcakes, white only. I tried one of them uniced and they were good., but I waited until I arrived to make and ice the cupcakes. I had no idea how the icing was going to turn out, this was a totally new recipe to me. The butter I had purchased was salted which was typical for home use, but not for icing for me. As my best friend and I were making this, she of course had to taste the icing. There was pure extacy on her face. She loaded up a cupcake and shoved it in my face, it was amazing. We went home and cleaned up to come back for the party. As soon as I walked in the door people started coming over and thanking me for the most amazing cupcakes they had EVER eaten. I was SHOCKED. I knew they were good, but I had never had anyone react this way to my cupcakes before. Since that time I have become the Cupcake Lady. When people ask me for my secret I send them directly to your website. I’ve printed out the recipe for those who need it and hand write your website on the paper. So last night my daughter and I made them again for a shower today, and they were just as wonderful. Thank you for sharing this recipe. You have added blessed us and added to our waistlines with these amazing cupcakes.

42. postedNov 16, 2013 3:06 AM
    Chloe

I have been given the task on creating wedding cupcakes as well, the theme colour is cadburys purple and I’m really stuck for decoration ideas and flavours, I’m only 13 so I can’t do anything fancy but I do want to do something that looks on the professional side, with maybe a little fondant decoration on the top. Could you give me ideas and what number tips i could use? If you could it would be a real help! 🙂

• November 17th, 2013 @ 9:49 PM

Hi Chloe, If you read through the post, the tips I used are included in the post. Hope that helps and good luck!

43. postedNov 17, 2013 1:00 PM
    pam

i only have heavy whipping cream on hand,can i still use it?

• November 17th, 2013 @ 9:44 PM

Yes, probably would be fine.

44. postedDec 7, 2013 5:46 AM
    Faith

Thank you, I have to do cupcakes for my sisters wedding and your blog is so helpful (now I know it can be done)
    Although I have to bake about 180 and then transport them from the south of England to the North in the car! Any tips!
    I read down and it seems that getting cupcake boxes is the best solution but I’ll have to ice them the day before. Any further tips on the logistics of baking and transporting that many cakes would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• December 7th, 2013 @ 5:53 AM

I don’t know if I have any further tips… they are best if they can be refrigerated overnight before transporting if you can manage to make room! Make sure you keep them in a cool place in the car.

45. postedJan 22, 2014 3:26 AM
    Lisa

Hi Lori. What type of butter did you use for the icing? Or does it matter? I normally use Land O Lakes Lightly salted, but if that’s not best, please share with me.

Thanks!

• January 23rd, 2014 @ 6:39 PM

I’ve used generic store butter and it’s been fine for my taste!

46. postedJan 22, 2014 7:14 AM
    Ann S

Presume I can swap out the vanilla extract for another provided it is clear/light in color??? Maybe coconut or lemon?? I also bake from scratch and usually write off anything that uses a box cake mix, but since this one is doctored AND you mentioned they bake up without overflowing the rim – I am going to give them a try.
    Love the look of the Wilton 2D tip. I have a baby shower coming up, so may try these with a very light pastel color on the frosting.

Thanks for sharing

47. postedJun 6, 2014 4:57 PM
    Susan

How did you store them so the cupcake liner did not peel away from cupcake?

• June 11th, 2014 @ 7:32 AM

It all depends on the liner— some stick and some peel away. You just need to find the one that works for you! I always use a variety that I can pick up at my local bakery supply shop.

48. postedMay 8, 2015 3:07 AM
    Melanie

How did you keep the cupcakes from turning dark on the top?

• May 8th, 2015 @ 3:47 PM

I’m not sure… maybe bake them lower in the oven? I don’t think mine really got all that dark on top. But they’re covered with frosting, so does it matter?

49. postedMay 8, 2015 7:44 PM
    Bresue

Can the cupcakes be frozen then iced when needed? I have to make a lot for a wedding and am hoping that I can bake throughout the week instead of doing it all in one day.

• May 19th, 2015 @ 6:54 PM

yes, just keep them well-wrapped in the freezer!

50. postedJun 2, 2015 1:09 PM
    Samantha

Ohhhh myyyyyy…. I have made so many cupcakes from so many recepies.. These wedding cupcakes with the buttercream are to die for. They are my favorite to make and eat. Thank you so much!!!

51. postedJul 6, 2015 4:30 PM
    Michele

Just wondering if they, cake and cupcakes, ,can be made in advance and frozen. My daughter is getting married and not able to guarantee I will have time to make closer to day. Please advise best way to thaw so I don’t lose the taste or icing ability.

• July 12th, 2015 @ 3:20 AM

My best advice to you is to test it out! Make a batch, freeze them for a couple of weeks, thaw, taste and see what you think. For such a special day, you want to feel confident that all will be perfect.

52. postedOct 8, 2015 6:51 PM
    Linda Billingsley

What kind of cake mix. Do you use? Thank you

• October 10th, 2015 @ 5:54 PM

Any kind will work. I don’t pay much attention…

53. postedNov 1, 2015 12:22 PM
    Amanda

These recipes are amazing! I found myself in a very similar situation as you. I like to bake for fun and was asked by a dear friend to make a cake for her granddaughter’s party. What I thought was a small thing suddenly turned out to be a cake and cupcakes for 50 people and a smash cake. I had never done a buttercream before and came across yours. Thank You so much for having this available!

54. postedMar 17, 2016 9:52 AM
    Brooke

I just made these for the first time and I do love them!! I used a French vanilla box cake and actually used my food scale to use the right amount. I also frosted them with buttercream. The recipe I use is very similar to yours- basically 1/2 cup less of buttercream, and maybe 1 tbsp more of whipping cream. They were pretty sweet. I like that the cake is a little sweeter then just the box. I love the texture of these cupcakes too!. Next time I’m going to try a Swiss buttercream to see if it’s the perfect balance of sweetness.

55. postedApr 17, 2016 6:05 AM
    Lisa Johnson

These cupcakes are the best. I have made them several times. This is pretty much my go-to cake recipe. People think I am a professional baker because of these cupcakes. I always send them to your website for the recipe. Giving credit where it is due. Thank you for sharing!

• April 19th, 2016 @ 1:43 PM

Thank you!

56. postedOct 10, 2016 8:55 PM
    Robin Atkins

I cannot find the recipe

• October 11th, 2016 @ 6:48 AM

If you are on mobile, there is a bright yellow button you need to click that says, “Read More.” Then you’ll see the recipe.

57. postedOct 18, 2016 7:04 PM
    Suzann Coffey

I can not find the recipe for the white wedding cupcakes and frosting. Where do I get it please?
    Suzann

• October 23rd, 2016 @ 7:43 AM

Scroll to the bottom of the post and you will find links to all of the recipes mentioned in this post.

58. postedOct 29, 2016 10:26 AM
    Julie Owens

It says the written recipe for the wedding cupcakes are below,  but I cant find it. Also, I tried to sign up for recipes, but it says website not available.

• November 1st, 2016 @ 5:23 PM

There are links to all of the recipes at the bottom of the post.

59. postedJan 15, 2017 6:23 PM
    Nancy Jackson

I made the wedding cake cupcakes today and omg they were amazing. I used my own frosting recipe but might try yours next time. Thanks so much!

60. postedJan 19, 2017 5:08 PM
    Dianne Fleming

Love you page.  Would like recipe for buttercream white wedding cake icing..

61. postedApr 26, 2017 10:31 AM
    Kathy

Are cupcakes okay to freeze? Can you provide any tips or advice on how to freeze & thaw cupcakes along with frosting on them?

• May 4th, 2017 @ 8:59 AM

My best advice is to experiment before the big day!

62. postedJun 14, 2017 4:13 AM
    Shelby Sims

Have you ever tried the white wedding cake recipe with a chocolate cake mix. My family can eat all36 cupcakes in one day that’s how good it is?