Weight Loss/Biggest Loser Update – 2 months later…

I’m a few days late in posting about this, but I thought it would be entirely appropriate to write about after my last two decadent brownie posts! Believe it or not, I’m still on a mission to lose more weight and eat healthier meals. I’ve made quite a few baked goods lately, and that’s probably why I haven’t been able to shed any more pounds this past month. I always give the baked goods away, but there’s usually a fair amount of sampling that goes on before they disappear completely! The good news is that I’ve remained within a couple of pounds (above or below) of my loss.

There is absolutely no reason why I haven’t been melting off those pounds… I’ve been exercising like a mad woman- 90 to 120 minutes per day. My ankle injury has healed, and I’m running 3+ miles every other day (in addition to intense workouts at the gym). The baking must be evening it all out, as well as a daily desire for wine at about 5 o’clock. I know these things… they’re just hard to resist. Baking makes me happy, and wine just seems well-deserved at the end of the day :) Sadly, this will all need to change if I’m going to get anything done.

I feel great physically, especially after a long workout… but I’m not yet at my “happy weight.” I see healthier dinners on the horizon with the help of my low fat cookbooks and Farmer’s Market binges. If I have plenty of salad stuff & roasted chicken & salmon on hand, lunches are a snap- perfectly filling, interesting and satisfying enough for a mid-day meal.

Summer is looming ahead, and I’d like to see 10 pounds come off in the next two months before we take off on our beachy vacation. I actually already bought two new bathing suits this year. I tried and tried to get myself into a bikini, but I’m afraid I’m just not all that comfortable with how the whole bikini-thing looks on me right now (or ever!) I settled for the two piece types that don’t share your tummy with the world.

As much as I work out, I found myself thinking about cellulite the other day. Does it ever really go away? Do gym instructors still have it in inconspicuous places that they resent too? I’ve managed to get rid of much of it, but I can still see some. My husband says I’m nuts… says he can’t see it on me anywhere anymore. I’m not sure if he’s just trying to be nice or if I’m seeing stuff that isn’t really there!

I’m trying to make exercise a family affair. My husband is coming along… slowly. Unfortunately, he’s a busy guy. The fact that he works so hard allows me to stay home and have plenty of time for blogging and exercising. I appreciate that, but I want him to be healthy too! My 7 year old is full of energy and is passionate about being active. He entered his first mile-long race last month and placed 7th out of 232 kids. The kid ran a 7:07 mile! Needless to say, he’s now got the ‘running bug’ and would like to do more races. Our gym director invited him to participate in Boot Camp with us yesterday and he did a great job… was running far ahead of all of us old folks!

My plan this month is to begin journaling everything that goes into my mouth again, and laying off the baked goods and happy hour. I’ll still blog about a mix of healthy choices and decadent treats.  I can’t give up the baking entirely!!  But I’m on a mission to lose that last 10 pounds before summer, and will do so by making wise choices.  Onward with the healthy lifestyle changes…

I often Twitter about my food choices & exercise- if you’re a Twitterer, you can follow me HERE.

38 Responses to “Weight Loss/Biggest Loser Update – 2 months later…”

Nicole@The Graves' H — April 19, 2009 @ 11:10 AM

we have starting eating healthy around here the past few weeks and have been soooo excited about the four pound weight loss i saw this week. (amazing what i get excited over) exercise is my next personal goal. so glad to hear of your success. here’s to us keeping it up!!!

Lys — April 19, 2009 @ 10:26 AM

You can do it! As for cellulite – that’s a good question. There’s so many “lotions and potions” out there.

healthy ashley — April 19, 2009 @ 10:48 AM

I love how you’re shooting for balance than extremes. And good for you for making exercise a family thing! My boyfriend and I have been doing long workouts together on the weekends and it helps so much.. it doesn’t even feel like exercise! Good luck with the next two months before your trip!

snooky doodle — April 19, 2009 @ 10:53 AM

well done and keep it up :)

Maria — April 19, 2009 @ 11:07 AM

Congrats on your success! Good luck with the ten pounds. I know you can do it! My hubs thinks I am too thin now, so he wants me to gain weight. Weight is a tough thing, just be happy and healthy:)

Claudia Lima — April 19, 2009 @ 12:18 PM

Lori have you ever tryed the Michael Thurmond program, the guy from the Extreme Makeover?
    I have lost 6 lb in 3 weeks when I did.
    I think it’s really hard to follow the program, but it works so fast that keep you in track.
    I bought a package, but now you can get the diet only, if you prefer, for 20 dollars.
    I am going to start the program again tomorrow, because after I started writing my food blog I have been out of control and I have gained a few pounds.
    Cellulite is a big problem for me too. I don’t wear shorts or biquinis. I gave up. I am too self concious.
    Good luck!

RecipeGirl — April 19, 2009 @ 12:24 PM

Hi Claudia, I’m not too fond of following any sort of ‘program.’ I prefer to have the freedom to cook what I want & maintain a sense of balance and sensibility when it comes to making choices. I find that works best for me. Congrats on your weight loss- you can still maintain your blog and keep it off!

Barbara — April 19, 2009 @ 12:33 PM

Good luck! I’d love to drop 10 lbs this summer but seem to be stuck too. I’ll look forward to your upcoming posts. Hopefully, it will get me motivated.

noble pig — April 19, 2009 @ 3:05 PM

Good for you! I know it’s so, so hard with this blog business, becuase we eat, we sample…WE LOVE FOOD. And wine, well don’t get me started.

Leslie Green — April 19, 2009 @ 3:58 PM

Cellulite is the root of all evil!!!
    I am glad you are sticking with your workouts!Way to go!

Dragon — April 19, 2009 @ 4:11 PM

Hang in there, I think you’re going in the right direction. :)

Daniel — April 19, 2009 @ 4:30 PM

Your son is a machine! That is an amazing time for a 7-year-old. He must take after his mother.

Glad you are having so much success in your fitness. Keep it up!

Dan

RobinSue — April 19, 2009 @ 5:52 PM

If you can find a way to beat cellulite you can be a very rich woman! I think the older I get the harder it is to lose and keep off the weight. I can look at a brownie and gain but when I was younger I could eat the whole pan and lose weight! Not fair!

Bunny — April 19, 2009 @ 6:44 PM

It’s so hard to loose weight, seriously hard. But it never takes as long to gain it back as it does to loose it, why is that? I seem to always have 10 pounds to loose. I really need to eat healthier and get serious !

Elyse — April 19, 2009 @ 6:51 PM

Sounds like you’re doing great!! Keep up the good work. As for cellulite, I don’t think it matters what weight you are, it’s there. It’s the friend you never wanted. I have it, and it annoys me to no end!

Josie — April 19, 2009 @ 7:56 PM

As far as I am concerned, you should be most proud of the fact that you have stuck with an exercise routine. I just passed my 1 year anniversary of working out regularly – I don’t think I have gone longer than 2 weeks over the past year without exercise (due to medical stuff only) and it feels great! I may not have lost all the weight I want to, but I am so much stronger and healthier – it is wonderful!

Manggy — April 19, 2009 @ 9:47 PM

Ah, I know if I had to drop baking completely I’d be sad too. But we do what we must, huh? Or maybe bake in much smaller pans :)

Amanda — April 20, 2009 @ 3:07 AM

Good for you. I can’t give up the baking either. I am envious you can exercise. I have no desire to go to the gym, but I can’t even comfortably go for a walk right now as I have something going on with my foot. Looking forward to seeing the healthy goodies!

Kait Nolan — April 20, 2009 @ 3:20 AM

It’s so so hard, isn’t it? To love food and not have the metabolism to naturally support it. I’m in the same boat as you. In my case I started the year off really strong, dropped 12 pounds in 6 weeks, then got sick–twice–which totally threw me off. And it’s been really hard to get in enough exercise to overcome my appetite and experimentation for food. But hey, I’d like to lose 10 pounds before summer too (although, I live in Mississippi–for all intents and purposes, summer is already here), so thanks for the inspiration.

VeggieGirl — April 20, 2009 @ 3:58 AM

You can do it, RecipeGirl!! I’m cheering you on!!

Gunshygal — April 20, 2009 @ 5:13 AM

It looks like you are getting so much support. This must be very encouraging for you! I am another one of your supporters so you go girl!

Cate O'Malley — April 20, 2009 @ 5:48 AM

Your son sounds like mine – where DO they get all the energy?!

Teanna — April 20, 2009 @ 11:36 AM

I totally am with you! I lost a lot of weight (70 pounds!) and I have 15 more pounds to go to be at my happy weight… and the amount of baking I am doing is really making it hard for me, no matter how much I work out! I’ve decided no more tasting baked goods, and I’ve cut out drinking except on weekends (and at that, 2 glasses at most!) and make a meal plan every week and writing down EVERYTHING that I eat! I know that no matter how much I enjoy baking, the 2 seconds of tasting is not worth the obstacle in getting to the weight I want to be at! I am totally rooting for you… you can do it!

RecipeGirl — April 20, 2009 @ 11:43 AM

Teanna… WOW! What an amazing accomplishment… I had no idea. That is terrific motivation for me to hear :) Congrats on your accomplishment so far and good luck with the remaining pounds. It’s tough when you still want to make yummy creations, isn’t it? Do you chew gum while you bake? That’s my secret for not tasting!

Nicole — April 20, 2009 @ 12:08 PM

Oh boy… I hear you. It is such a hard thing to love cooking so much yet feel it is getting in the way of the shape you desire for your figure. I think I have to give up the end of day vino to drop it too. I don’t know what else to do. And just LOOKING at your milky way brownies puts weight on me! Damn they look good. I don’t know how you do it!

Marta — April 20, 2009 @ 1:14 PM

Trying to lose weight while still enjoying your baking passion is such a hard job! Food diaries certainly work and, from my experience, so does sharing everything just make. Just not keeping it in the house is such a great way not to eat it ;) I wish you patience and perseverance, I know how frustrating it is to try to take off some weight. Good luck :)

Katrina — April 20, 2009 @ 1:38 PM

We’re in the same boat. A year and a half ago I lost 40 pounds doing the BL online program. Felt/feel great. But my goal was 20 more. In the meantime, I started baking and blogging and LOVE it. Are we really supposed to give up what we love? Sigh! Last week I joined BL again. Lost 3 pounds! I was doing really well maintaining, but found I was tasting more and more of my yummy stuff and a few pounds snuck back on! It’s just not fair. (She whines annoyingly.) I workout every morning at 5:30 (get up at 4:45 to get to the gym.) Sob, sob. Oh the things we do…..really….glad to hear you’re feeling motivated again! Good luck.
    Any by the way, the Milky Way brownies–hello! YUM! ;)

Phoo-D — April 20, 2009 @ 4:25 PM

It’s a constant struggle for most of us who enjoy food to keep it in balance and not let it become an unhealthy part of life. Good for you for putting the focus and effort into working out! I love your site, it is huge! Very impressive and fun.

ingrid — April 20, 2009 @ 6:05 PM

Good luck! I really admire your determination. I wish a had half of it. I’ve gained quite a bit of weight since I started blogging and baking more. Luckily I was underweight and had some room to give but it is still an adjustment when you go from being very thin to a more approriate weight(& maybe a little extra :).
    ~ingrid

Barbara — April 20, 2009 @ 11:46 PM

I think cellulite is permanent unless you have some cosmetic surgery done (Huh). I’m inspired by your success. Since all my entries in Pillsbury Bake-Off are finished, I’m on to savory dishes. Just maybe I will drop some of my weight. Your exercise plan is awesome.

maris — April 21, 2009 @ 4:20 AM

I’m struggling with the same things right now! I love to bake and love sweets but that can’t keep happening if I want to lose weight!

patsyk — April 21, 2009 @ 4:45 AM

You are doing great! I think journaling is a good way to keep yourself on track (I should really start doing that as well!). Thanks for sharing your weight-loss journey with us… keeps me inspired!

justeatfood — April 21, 2009 @ 5:32 AM

It sounds like you are doing great! I think ALL women have cellulite somewhere. Honestly.

LilSis — April 21, 2009 @ 10:25 AM

Good Luck! You’re definitely on the right track. I would also love to lose ten pounds by summer. Since it’s already beautiful here in Southern CA, I’m not feeling too great putting on the bikini! Need to boost up the metabolism somehow. (I guess stopping the happy hour would help me out, too!) Darn, those are drastic measures!

As for the cellulite, I’m still pretty happy with the results I’m seeing from the Borba products. You can check out our posts about it on our site in case you missed it.

Stacey Snacks — April 22, 2009 @ 5:05 PM

RG,
    You are an exercising queen!
    You have done so well! I am proud of you, especially w/ the temptation of all those baked goods staring you in the face!
    I have lost 8 lbs and have 2 more to go to be my thin self again! It feels good to get rid of winter!

Psychgrad — April 22, 2009 @ 6:38 PM

I’ve been working out regularly for a few months and am noticing changes. I was also thinking of adding something like the 30 Day Shred to the mix. I heard it’s a killer.

Psychgrad — April 22, 2009 @ 6:38 PM

Forgot to add – congratulations on keeping up such a regular and intense pace of workouts.

RecipeGirl — April 22, 2009 @ 7:39 PM

Psychgrad- thanks! I have the 30 Day Shred DVD and haven’t unwrapped it and tried it yet. Guess I’m waiting for a rainy day :) Congrats on getting into the swing of exercising!