Top 100 Exercise Songs For Your iPod

If you’re coming to this post for the first time, I have a more current list (10/20/11) that I’ve shared on this post:  100 Workout Songs for Your iPod

Yeah, I know this is a food blog , but I just can’t help adding in a few exercise and diet tips now and then.  It’s a daily struggle for me to lose weight and maintain, and I find that intense workouts help tremendously.  I couldn’t possibly eat all of this food that I blog about without frequent exercise. Sometimes I walk, more often I run, and I always lift weights.  I couldn’t do any of it though without my iPod.  If I can listen to upbeat music while exercising, it really helps me get through my workouts with boundless energy.  Since I always have a tough time finding this sort of music on iTunes, I thought I’d share my own favorites.  Keep in mind that these are my favoritesmy taste in music, and you may very well not like my taste in music! They’re all just fun, bouncy, fast songs to motivate your butt to get off the couch so that you can feel less guilty about spending time in the kitchen.  If you have any favorites that you’d like to add, please do so in the comments below.

*Warning: Some of the songs below contain profanity, but if you go to iTunes to preview the songs- it will give you a warning if a song contains bad language.  It doesn’t bother me (I guess someone cursing at me while running makes me feel like Jillian is training me :) ) but I know that some prefer a cleaner style of music.

Good, fast songs for Running (some may like them for walking too):
”Don’t Trust Me” by 30H!3

“Don’t Tell Me You Love Me” by Night Ranger
“The Stroke” by Billy Squier
“All the Right Moves” by One Republic
“Uprising” by Muse
“Going Away to College” by Blink 182
“There’s Only One Way to Rock” by Sammy Hagar

Good, Upbeat Songs for Walking (and some may like these for running too!)
”Wrong” by Depeche Mode

”Sway” by Bic Runga
”Kissing a Fool” by George Michael
”I’m With You” by Avril Lavigne
”Foreplay” by Boston
”More Than a Feeling” by Boston
”Breathe” by Faith Hill

38 Responses to “Top 100 Exercise Songs For Your iPod”

Beth — May 14, 2009 @ 6:53 AM

Great list!

I’ve got a lot of the songs already, but I’ll be adding some of the others you’ve suggested – thank you!

Jen — May 14, 2009 @ 6:04 AM

I’m always on the hunt for new tunes to keep workouts fresh. I like that you also included a cool down list!

Maria — May 14, 2009 @ 6:09 AM

I LOVE my Ipod. I can’t run without it:) Thanks for the songs, I will have to update my running lists!

Esi — May 14, 2009 @ 6:42 AM

I have a lot of similar songs for my fast walks. Nice list!

Lisa — May 14, 2009 @ 7:01 AM

great list!

alexandra — May 14, 2009 @ 7:02 AM

You go RecipeGirl! This is awesome. Truly motivating. I desperately need to add some more music to my itunes libarary and ipod. Thanks for the great ideas!!

Eliana — May 14, 2009 @ 7:05 AM

This is a great list. I love a good workot tune. And most times I prefer the music over the workout.

Janet — May 14, 2009 @ 7:25 AM

I’ll have to go grab some of these~ thanks for the reminder! I don’t get to listen often enough though. In my daily workouts we have a dialogue going on, so it’s hard to have music. I miss it!

Katie — May 14, 2009 @ 8:09 AM

This is perfect! It’s finally warm enough to start running again, and I was just about to update my playlist. This will make the process much easier!

Org Junkie — May 14, 2009 @ 8:56 AM

This is great, thanks!

Christi Carter — May 14, 2009 @ 9:00 AM

Well that is one way to do it! LOL, thanks Lori, I know what I will be doing this evening, and as always, thanks for the help and ispiration to change my life!

patsyk — May 14, 2009 @ 9:07 AM

Thanks for sharing your favs! I find that Pink’s songs are really great to workout to, as well! I love listenting to I wanna Start a Fight (or something like that)… gets me really moving!

The Duo Dishes — May 14, 2009 @ 9:36 AM

Honestly, most of us could not be healthy foodies without exercise. This is a great thing to share…it’s not just about eating! :)

Barbara — May 14, 2009 @ 10:12 AM

Great list! I’ll have to add some to my ipod. One that I really like is Jennifer Lopez Let’s Get Loud.

Michelle — May 14, 2009 @ 10:12 AM

What a huge assortment of artists. Thanks for sharing your favorites.

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — May 14, 2009 @ 10:55 AM

Thanks a lot for this list. I’ve got most of the songs here, but having you categorise them made me want to. And you’ve got most of favourite songs on there. :) We have a similar taste in music.

Sara @Our Best Bites — May 14, 2009 @ 2:10 PM

LOVE this- I was seriously just opening I-tunes in another window to look for some new music because I’m sick of my current running play list. Then this popped up, I’m gonna check them out. Thanks!

Ben — May 14, 2009 @ 4:32 PM

LOL Great list, but I like to work out with Latin beats. Sometimes I stop what I am doing and start dancing, that’s a lot of fun :-p

Cris — May 14, 2009 @ 4:42 PM

Wow, thanks for the list! I’m always looking for songs to workout to. It’s the only way to make is seem less, well, painful and boring.

Veronica — May 14, 2009 @ 5:10 PM

Great list! I’m always looking for good workout songs. I tend to go retro for my workout..anything from The Ramones for the fast cardio and some Robert Cray type stuff for the cool down.

Amy — May 14, 2009 @ 7:49 PM

Yeah! I am a workout fiend and I never have time to download new songs mainly because it requires too much thinking. Having this list is awesome!

Jeff — May 15, 2009 @ 6:18 AM

I have always enjoyed seeing what other people listen to when they work out. Actually I completely forgot about Blink 182 so off to itunes I go.

My playlists tend to be a little bit on the darker side with punk, heavy metal, electronic, and rap. Normally the heavy metal and rap would annoy the daylights out of me but something about lifting and that music just motivates me more.

Just a Girl — May 15, 2009 @ 7:40 PM

I have been doing or reducing my walk from 10,000 steps a day in one setting (burns me out) to 5000 a day about two miles… I could not do it without good music!

Scarlett — September 17, 2009 @ 3:02 PM

Love it! Finally a good list! Thanks!
    (uploading as I type!)

Divina — January 30, 2010 @ 7:02 AM

What a great list compiled together. Music makes a huge difference in my exercise routine.

Katie @ goodLife {eats} — January 30, 2010 @ 7:35 AM

I haven’t updated my ipod or made a new playlist in months…I think it’s about time I do that. I kind of went by the wayside when we reformatted our hard drive because I never reloaded itunes. I just have it plugged into a speaker dock. Thanks for some new ideas!

Kalynskitchen — January 30, 2010 @ 7:49 AM

Wow, thank you for this! I’m just about to enter the iPod age (never wanted one until now) and I’m feeling rather overwhelmed about the job of finding good music for walking, so this will really help!

Joie de vivre — February 20, 2010 @ 12:54 PM

You are so cool! I can’t wait to shake up my iPod a little. I’ve been listening to Adam Lambert, very club-ish, but I need some variation.

Miguel — August 23, 2011 @ 6:16 PM

also,
    is it the beat?
    by selena is a good exercise song! :)

mkkitt — April 8, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

Check out “Haunted” by Matthew C. Shuman

Someone told me about this song, I’m glad I found it because it really gets me and my exercise groups going! I downloaded it from Amazon but it looks like available on iTunes also.

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Haunted/dp/B007P6484G/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1333909619&sr=1-5

iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/haunted-single/id514137195

Hope this helps!

Kate — June 11, 2012 @ 6:20 PM

Adam’s Song? For upbeat? That song is about suicide. Blatantly so.

• Lori Lange replied: — June 11th, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

oops- guess I didn’t listen too closely to the words on that one.

Ross — July 30, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

why would you include adam’s song on the “Upbeat songs”? it is a song about depression and a dedication to adam whom lost the fight? not that i don’t love the song, i do. But still, it’s like saying MCR’s Disenchanted is good for running.
    on the flip side, if you want to get moving try the mighty mighty bosstones: the impression that i get or any ska songs like less than jake, reel big fish etc.

• Lori Lange replied: — July 30th, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Yeah, someone else mentioned that too. Clearly, I didnt’ know and haven’t paid close attention to the lyrics. Still like the song though.

Bec — August 2, 2012 @ 7:21 AM

You have a rather varied and good taste in music.

zackiteesmack — September 21, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

this is an excellent playlist for workouts and i hope to aggregate these music tracks and make a compilation for when i run or lift weights. it’s true that upbeat music can keep you going, to get you through the workout. i’d like to suggest a song from one of my favorite l.a. bands: “here it comes” by incubus. i think it would fit right onto the list!

Mackenzie — October 17, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

I love this list you made, but I have one question, in the Songs for Walking section. Why not All Summer Long by Kid Rock? Kid Rock is the original artist, why go with a fake that only tries to be as good as Kid Rock.

• Lori Lange replied: — October 18th, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

I’m not sure! I’ll have to look at my iTunes and figure out why I didn’t list Kid Rock.