Weight Loss/ Biggest Loser Update- 3 Months Later

Keeping myself accountable once a month for that Great Feat of Losing Weight has been a major factor contributing to my success in keeping it off.  Here it is (3 months later), and I’m still within a couple of pounds of my Biggest Loser weigh-in.   I still crave daily exercise.   Unfortunately, I also crave evil desserts, so that’s where the challenge still lies!

I tried to kick-it-up a notch this last month with the hopes that I would finally get into the skinny, skinny jeans.  I kept a daily exercise log (which I HIGHLY recommend), and I did more running than I had been doing.

Grand totals for all exercise, here’s what I’ve been up to for the last 30 days…
22 days of workouts and 8 days of rest

Elliptical Machine:  8 hours and 4 minutes
Running on the Treadmill:  47.6 miles!!
Outdoor Running:  5.6 miles
Strength Exercises (arms):  2 hours and 40 minutes
Ab Crunches:  1,625 (I try to do 100 each workout day)
Strength Circuit Class:  1
Step Aerobics Class:  2
Outdoor Intense Boot Camp Workout:  2

When I look at the whole month like this, I feel fantastic that I was able to accomplish as much as I did.  47 miles on the treadmill???  Who would have thought?  I worked up to that gradually, starting with a mile and huffing and puffing the whole way… and working my way up to running 6.4 miles in one session and feeling like I could go further.  I couldn’t have run without my iPod.  The music really helps keep me energized.  (I recently shared my favorite workout songs.)   It really, really helped to write everything down on a calendar… it was easy to see what I had accomplished so far, and I didn’t like having blank days on the calendar either!  You’ll notice that I do a variety of exercise too.  It gets boring to do the same old thing, and it’s good for your body to work different muscles.

I feel pretty good about having gotten through two trips too:  A getaway to Chicago (where I ate what I wanted), and the International Food Blogger’s Conference in Seattle (where they fed us gourmet meals & wine nonstop)!  On both trips, I hauled my gym clothes along and made sure that I worked out pretty heavily in the hotel gym to ward off the excess calories.  It appears to have helped since I didn’t gain any weight.  Whew.

Results from the month are that I feel fabulous on most days.  Then there are the days that I still feel fat.  It’s tough to rid myself completely of my lifelong bad self-image problem.  Sometimes I look in the mirror and say, “Wow, RG… you’re lookin’ pretty good!” and then other days I feel down and can’t believe that I still have cellulite on my thighs after all of that running & hard work in the gym.  Sadly… after all of that working out, the ridiculously tiny jeans that I was hoping to squeeze into still don’t fit.  Can you believe it?  I think I’ve built a lot of muscle in my thighs, and of course that both delights me and upsets me.  I’ll look better in a bathing suit, but I can’t fit into those damn jeans.  Maybe it’s time to go shopping for some more realistically sized jeans!  I know from my readers that there are many of you who struggle with the same issues.  It helps to know that I’m not the only one.  Luckily for me, I’m generally a happy and energetic person, and I don’t let it get me down too much.  I should be jumping for joy that I’m 20+ pounds lighter than two summers ago.  I look at those summer vacation pictures and just cringe that I let myself get that out of control.  I like to think that I’ve left those days behind and that this is the new me… thinner, happier, healthier and more in tune with exercise than I’ve ever been.

There are a  little over 4 weeks until our summer beach vacation begins, so I’m really thinking I’ll need to keep an eye on calorie intake if I’m going to make any progress with a loss… that is… after I make my son’s Red Sox birthday cake & cupcakes for the classroom, get through another Gourmet Club dinner party, contribute potato salad and a dessert for a Memorial Day bbq, and bring along a pasta salad for my niece’s birthday party.  It’s never ending….but I love every minute of it!  It’s the challenge of not eating it all that is a bit more difficult to grasp.

While it’s tough to share my rather personal struggles with the world, it also forces me to be accountable.  I sure have appreciated all of the nice comments and emails from readers along the way.  Good luck to those of you who are on the journey with me… with a little determination, consistency, patience and a lot of will-power… we can do this!

You can learn about the beginning of my healthy lifestyle quest on THIS POST.

34 Responses to “Weight Loss/ Biggest Loser Update- 3 Months Later”

Gaby — May 20, 2009 @ 9:20 AM

you are awesome! that is so fabulous… keep up the great work!

p.s. the Biggest Loser is the best show ever… so inspirational!

Maria — May 20, 2009 @ 8:31 AM

Lori, you are awesome! Thanks for sharing your story with all of us. Keep up the good work!

Lily — May 20, 2009 @ 8:34 AM

This is so GREAT!!! Congratulations. None of this is easy, and you have really stuck to it. You ROCK! Consistency and will power are so important and you should also have fun while you are at it!!!

Lily

veron — May 20, 2009 @ 9:36 AM

This is a fantastic idea. I need to start logging my workouts. Thanks for the inspiration!

Elle — May 20, 2009 @ 8:36 AM

Lori–don’t get discouraged! You’re doing an amazing job, and you’re very inspiring. Hugs!

Heidi from Savory Tv — May 20, 2009 @ 8:38 AM

Good job you! I am so impressed that you stayed dedicated even during the food blogger conference!

I’ve had great success with light weight training, actually using the Abs Diet DVD (the second one) combined with cardio outside), but have been slacking lately! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Jamie — May 20, 2009 @ 8:48 AM

Congratulations on your weight loss and all your hard work, that is something to be very proud of. I am on the same journey. Last year I lost all of my pregnancy weight from baby number 2, and have about 5 STUBBORN pounds to go to weigh what I did before baby number 1. It is so hard because I LOVE food, but I am learning how to cook healthier and eat better. I just wish my in-laws would learn to cook healthier too (there are always so many temptations at their house). I am going to look at your favorite work out songs, because I need a rockin’ playlist for the 5K I am running in 2 weeks. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. It is really encouraging me!

Reeni — May 20, 2009 @ 9:29 AM

Wow! Running 6+ miles at once is amazing!! Your such an inspiration. And even the skinniest of girls have cellulite!

snooky doodle — May 20, 2009 @ 9:54 AM

keep up the good work. you ve been great so far :)

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer — May 20, 2009 @ 10:02 AM

Way to go – You have been such an inspiration!! Keep it up !

ingrid — May 20, 2009 @ 10:18 AM

You’re going a get job! Really that’s impressive how dedicated you’ve been.

Man! I really liked ya until I saw that you were making red sox cake & cuppies! Not a fan of ‘em! :( Hee-hee! Just kidding though not about not being a fan. Go Yanks!

Good luck with the rest of your weight loss!
    ~ingrid

Sarah — May 20, 2009 @ 10:28 AM

Over 47 miles!!! That’s sooo impressive! I admire your dedication to better health – and I really appreciate that you also still enjoy yummy food!

Joanna — May 20, 2009 @ 10:29 AM

Congratulations on your weight loss! Whther 2 or 20 lbs., I think any loss is hard. I lost close to 50 lbs, but that was over a time period of 5 YEARS! I now go to the gym about 3 days a week, and do workouts similar to yours. I too love to bake and like to cook, and I live for big family/friend functions so I can bring culinary creations to share!

A great place to find music (if you have an iPod that can stream Internet) is pandora.com. You just type in a song.album/artist, and it finds all similar music based on vocal style/rhytms, and other criteria. It’s AWESOME.

Keep at it. I know you’ll do great! :)
    -J

Beryl — May 20, 2009 @ 10:34 AM

Congrats! 47 miles on the treadmill is amazing! It is hard to marry our love of cooking with our need to look good in our jeans but finding a balance is the key.

Michelle — May 20, 2009 @ 10:42 AM

Keep up the good work. It’s hard to keep up the momentum, but you’re doing it!

dawn — May 20, 2009 @ 11:10 AM

well those days you think you’re fat don’t look in the mirror and remember I think you’ve come a lonnnnng way.

Mary @ A Merry Life — May 20, 2009 @ 11:21 AM

That is great! Keeping a fitness log is a really good idea because at the end of the month when you tally everything up you feel really accomplished! Keep it up girl. :)

Jenna @ Newlyweds — May 20, 2009 @ 11:35 AM

Your doing a fabulous job. I just ordered the Jillian Michael’s 30 day shred video. I am looking for people to join the fun with me. Interested?

Joan Nova — May 20, 2009 @ 12:14 PM

Congrats…you’re doing great! And thanks for the suggestion of summing up a month’s activities. I’m going to try it for additional motivation.

jennywenny — May 20, 2009 @ 12:28 PM

Good for you. I’m hoping that now classes are over I can try and lose some weight.

Alisa -Frugal Foodie — May 20, 2009 @ 1:08 PM

That is so awesome! I just read about your dietary goals … would love to hear some of your best low fat – high protein ideas. I just blogged one I like today.

bridget — May 20, 2009 @ 3:13 PM

Great idea….an exercise journal! Talk about inspiring! I never do a good job with food journaling…too much writing. :) This I could do. I only wish I’d started in January!!!

You go, girl! :)

Hélène — May 20, 2009 @ 3:49 PM

Congratulations! This is so great. I’ve never think of an exercise journal. I like it.

Janet — May 20, 2009 @ 8:23 PM

You absolutely ROCK! You know, it’s so much nicer knowing you are right there “with me”. I both admire and feel inspired by you! Guess what?! I took 3rd place in my Get Fit Challenge last weekend (winner determined by body fat lost)- In 3 months I lost 22 lbs and 7.1 % of it body fat (1st place lost 17 lbs but 8.7% in body fat- I was SO close!!) I feel like a total winner though- and so glad I can always read some encouragement from you… Keep up your amazing work~ I’m proud of you!!

Adam — May 21, 2009 @ 4:41 AM

Hey Lori! Let me just say that I am SO proud of you. This is awesome, especially when you add up your totals like that. Could it really get any more impressive :) I know how it feels to get a bit frustrated, but just keep looking at how far you’ve come. Diet and exercise is a lifestyle, and you’re well on your way towards being healthier for the long run… which is what matters most. If you have any diet questions, feel free to shoot me an email or facebook :)

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — May 21, 2009 @ 6:58 AM

You are awesome Lori! I feel like you and I have been on this trip together, in a way. When I see you tweet about your 2 hour workout sessions, it makes me motivated to do my workouts. It helps that I have a workout buddy at home too, but still some days it is hard!

I love what you wrote about those skinny jeans. I have a pair of jeans I really wanted to fit into – I fit into them less than 2 years ago, and I couldn’t understand with all this exercise WHY I wasn’t fitting into them – and I think it is because my leg muscles are too big! Like the size of my legs haven’t changed, but instead of mostly being blubber, they are now tight.

You are awesome Lori!!!

Claudia Lima — May 21, 2009 @ 6:19 PM

When I want to loose weight I really concentrate more on the food intake than any other thing.
    I exercise, but no more than 4 times a week. The more you give, the more the body wants. I confess I am lazy to do more than I already do.
    I hope you get there. Good luck!

patsyk — May 21, 2009 @ 6:22 PM

You are doing amazing! I love that you are sharing what has worked for you! I’ve been increasing my exercise gradually so that I can hopefully begin losing more of the weight I’ve put on. You keep me inspired to keep at it!

an — May 21, 2009 @ 6:51 PM

Congrats on your achievement. I’m glad the hard work is paying off. Keep us the good work and thanks for the inspiration to keep on the healthy eating path.

Elyse — May 21, 2009 @ 8:53 PM

I am so proud of you!! What a wonderful, inspiring post. Way to keep that weight off. You’re doing fabulously. Maintaining is the hardest part. Great job!

HoneyB — May 22, 2009 @ 1:47 AM

Running is addicting! I too need my ipod to motivate me….however I haven’t been able to run since my injury and walking is the only exercise I’ve been given permission to do so far. I really do miss my runs though!

Tracy — May 22, 2009 @ 1:00 PM

Awesome to hear you are still going at it with determination, you are doing amazing. Keeping a log of eating and workouts (running and weights) is what helped me make being healthy a lifestyle, keep at it.

Leslie Green — May 23, 2009 @ 5:03 PM

Yep..I am sooo in the same boat. We all have the same issues. Food blogging doesnt help. But it is great that you keep a journal!

ForestWander Nature Photography — June 12, 2009 @ 4:28 AM

Eating fruits and vegetables and abstaining from meats and bread and white sugar has allowed me to lose 100 lbs.

And I feel great….

Just taking the time to eat right and take care of yourself makes a lot of difference.