Pink Strawberry Cupcakes

Strawberries are everywhere around here right now… fresh, juicy and plentiful. I’ve done fruit salads, galettes, muffins, breads, pies… and I’m always looking for new and creative ways to utilize them. Smitten Kitchen did this cute strawberry cake. Since I don’t wish to have a big ‘ol cake sitting around shedding its calories upon my thighs, I whipped up SK’s strawberry cake batter and made cupcakes instead (easier to pawn off on other people): Pink Strawberry Cupcakes.

SK warns not to taste the batter, but I defiantly licked the spoon… bad idea. This batter tastes like strawberry ice cream. One lick would never suffice, so I’ll advise the same… don’t do it.

The cupcakes turn out to be a lovely shade of light pink, but I helped that process along with a squirt of pink/red gel paste. You can leave the coloring out and the cakes will be slightly pink, but they’re much cuter with a darker tint.

I frosted these with my go-to recipe for Wedding Cake Buttercream, but they’d be very good with Cream Cheese Frosting too. I tinted half of my white frosting pink and then put both in the piping bag so I could get a swirly pattern on my cupcakes.

I started with a flat tip to create some flowery-looking cupcakes. I didn’t like these so much, so I turned the tip sideways…

… and created this ribbon look. I think they look much cuter.

Pretty? Check. Pink? Check. Strawberry? Check. These were amazing little cupcakes. The sweet strawberries imparted their flavor wonderfully, and it was tough not to keep nibbling on them. You could do a lot with decor… add a chocolate-covered strawberry, sprinkles, or little crown garnishes for a girly party.

Have fun with strawberry season, and let me know if you’ve got good recipes for me to try :)

This recipe can be found here:  Pink Strawberry Cupcakes

62 Responses to “Pink Strawberry Cupcakes”

Erin — May 28, 2009 @ 3:18 AM

I can so tell that these are going to be my new favorite thing. I am a pink cake fiend. I absolutely love this!

Michelle — May 28, 2009 @ 3:41 AM

I’m still waiting for the strawberries to get ripe here and I keep seeing all these great recipes. My bookmark folder is huge!
    I liked the flower but then the ribbon won me over. Great job with that.

Josie — May 28, 2009 @ 4:42 AM

I am not ordinarily tempted by things like pink cupcakes…… but there is something about these that I really want to try – probably the batter :)

Janet — May 28, 2009 @ 3:59 AM

Yummy looking! I picked up some gorgeous strawberries yesterday… just may have to make these!

Lynn — May 28, 2009 @ 4:06 AM

Pink strawberry cupcakes? Does it get any cuter than that? I’m having a group of 12 year old girls over for lunch and these just might have to be on the menu. Darling!

HoneyB — May 28, 2009 @ 4:42 AM

Love them! I just made a cooking light version of strawberry cupcakes and said the same thing you did – it is easier to pawn off cupcakes! LOL.

You have decorated these BEAUTIFULLY!!!

Caragh — May 28, 2009 @ 6:20 AM

These look so great! Can’t wait to try them. Thanks for sharing another great cupcake w/ us!

Simply...Gluten-free — May 28, 2009 @ 5:24 AM

Do you ever do any gluten-free cooking? I’d love to have you submit something for an event I am hosting – trying to span the bridge between gluten-free and non-gluten-free bloggers :) Check it out – http://simplygluten-free.blogspot.com/2009/05/go-ahead-honey-its-gluten-free-june.html

patsyk — May 28, 2009 @ 6:04 AM

They are adorable! I also love that you tell what tips you use for decorating… I’m still figuring that part out. Flat tip is on my list next time I’m at Michael’s!

Lily — May 28, 2009 @ 6:15 AM

The are gorgeous!!! Too bad my niece is only 1… maybe in a few months (or yrs) she will “get” the whole pink thing! Love these cupcakes. YUMMERS!

Sara — May 28, 2009 @ 6:16 AM

Gorgeous! These look so good and so perfect! Beautiful job with the frosting.

Kelly — May 28, 2009 @ 6:16 AM

THose look so cute, and so very tasty! I love SK’s strawberry cake! It is so good, and it makes really pretty and plump cupcakes, too! Nice!

ovenhaven — May 28, 2009 @ 6:18 AM

These are soooo adorable! I love the ribbon frosting :)

Daily Spud — May 28, 2009 @ 6:19 AM

Those look absolutely delightful. I’m afraid that I would not be able to keep my fingers out of the batter either :)

CookiePie — May 28, 2009 @ 6:20 AM

I LOVE these — they’re so pink-pretty-perfect!!

Katerina — May 28, 2009 @ 6:38 AM

These look freaking amazing! I liked both your icing styles and everything DOES taste better in cupcake form.

Gaby — May 28, 2009 @ 7:39 AM

these look AMAZING! I need to make these immediately!

Lynda — May 28, 2009 @ 7:26 AM

What gorgeous cupcakes; they are picture perfect, plus they look rather addictive!

clumbsycookie — May 28, 2009 @ 8:06 AM

They’re so cute and pink! They look like candy!

LilSis — May 28, 2009 @ 8:08 AM

Gorgeous! I have a feeling mine would not turn out quite as beautiful! You’ve got quite the decorating talent.

ingrid — May 28, 2009 @ 8:11 AM

VERY nice! Loved the “flowered” frosting of the second.
    ~ingrid

Laurie — May 28, 2009 @ 8:12 AM

Those are beautiful Lori. The recipe also sounds yummy! :)

bridget — May 28, 2009 @ 9:12 AM

Even the batter is BEAUTIFUL!!! Once again, you have another recipe going into my “must make” folder! Thank you…I think! ;)

Karen@Mignardise — May 28, 2009 @ 9:57 AM

So beautiful and sweet. I’ll definitely try these as soon as strawberries show their little red heads around here.

Ben — May 28, 2009 @ 10:20 AM

Oh my they are beautiful! And I can’t never stop myself from tasting the batter. If you tell me not to do it, I am sure I’ll do it even more LOL.

snooky doodle — May 28, 2009 @ 12:31 PM

these are adorable apart from delicious! I like the way you decorated them, so girly.

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer — May 28, 2009 @ 1:30 PM

WOW these are wonderful and the frosting on top just puts these babies over the top!! Love the color they are so festive!

Kerstin — May 28, 2009 @ 1:53 PM

They’re so pretty! I love anything strawberry – these would be dangerous to have around :)

southern hostess — May 28, 2009 @ 4:45 PM

These look absolutely delightful!

Teresa — May 28, 2009 @ 6:06 PM

Whether you do flowers or ribbons, it will still be just as delicious. I love strawberry cupcakes. Good tip on coloring the batter with a little food coloring.

RecipeGirl's Mom — May 28, 2009 @ 8:22 PM

Beautiful decorating. You continue to amaze me. Where do you get all these clever ideas? Not from this Mom! You must be adopted.

Ivy — May 29, 2009 @ 12:59 AM

The cupcakes look so pretty and so elegantly decorated.

grace — May 29, 2009 @ 2:13 AM

caught pink-handed. :)
    lovely hue, and impressive frosting work. these are all-around winners!

Katrina — May 29, 2009 @ 4:43 AM

I had some strawberries and was going to make cupcakes, but went ahead and froze them, but goodness these look good. Love the swirled ice cream!

Katrina — May 29, 2009 @ 4:45 AM

Duh, I didn’t mean ice cream, I meant icing. Hmm, now you know what’s on my mind–and I haven’t even had breakfast yet! ;)

Stacey Snacks — May 29, 2009 @ 4:56 AM

The ribbon frosting techinique is gorgeous!
    You need to shoot a video to show how you did this!

danyel smith — May 29, 2009 @ 5:39 AM

those look amazing.

Maria — May 29, 2009 @ 5:43 AM

Pretty in Pink! The cupcakes are adorable and I am sure they taste great too!

dawn — May 29, 2009 @ 6:49 AM

oh Lori I learn so much from you on frosting. I am still a newbie in the frosting dept.
    I like the way you frosted it too.

Rachelle @ "Mommy? I — May 29, 2009 @ 6:50 AM

The look great!! I like the ribbon frosting effect!

courtney — May 29, 2009 @ 7:35 AM

Oh those look so good. Love the color.

Elyse — May 29, 2009 @ 9:22 AM

Um, YUM! These look delicious. You’re so right about the guilt thing–somehow, having strawberry cupcake on your hands (literally and figuratively) is so much less guilt-inspiring than having a cake on your hands! I can’t wait to try these out. Great job with the buttercream decorations, too!

Jenni — May 29, 2009 @ 11:47 AM

These sound really good. I probably wouldn’t only taste the batter, I’d almost certainly make sure to leave a cupcake or two’s worth of batter in the bowl and then eat it with a spoon while the other guys are in the oven!

You could up the strawberry ante by adding some strawberry puree to your frosting or maybe make a stabilized strawberry whipped cream frosting. But only if you wanted to gild the lily.

PS I liked the ribbony cupcakes better, too, probably because they had more icing!

Kim, ORMG — May 29, 2009 @ 1:47 PM

Girl! These are adorable! Send me some strawberries!!! In my house they wouldn’t last very long!!!! haa haa!

Deborah — May 29, 2009 @ 1:54 PM

These look soooo good! I just stopped at a local cupcake place here and bought a strawberry cupcake for $2.25 – I bet these are better (and you could probably make a WHOLE batch for that price!)

pigpigscorner — May 29, 2009 @ 1:58 PM

The decoration is so pretty!!

Selba — May 29, 2009 @ 5:27 PM

The flowers are so lovely on the cupcakes :)

Adam — May 30, 2009 @ 3:29 AM

Ok, ok… I’ll admit that the cupcakes are in fact cute. No, I draw my girly line there :)

Happy strawberry season.

Leslie Green — May 30, 2009 @ 10:58 AM

I think the frosting is adorable both ways!!

noble pig — June 1, 2009 @ 8:43 AM

So girly and adorable. I mean just so cute. Now I need a girl.

Susan from Food Blogga — June 1, 2009 @ 10:23 AM

I’d want to make them just to play around with the pretty pink frosting. :)

Lynn — June 1, 2009 @ 7:15 PM

I made these for my daughter’s church group get together and all the girls loved them! Thanks for the recipe.

kimmiedec — June 2, 2009 @ 5:28 PM

What an adorable post!

Cate O'Malley — June 11, 2009 @ 12:26 PM

Mmm, they look so good!

BigSis — June 13, 2009 @ 1:33 PM

These look delicious AND beautiful,plus they’re my favorite color! Gorgeous!

Gwen — September 3, 2010 @ 10:49 AM

How long did you bake the cupcakes? I always have problems when I use a cake recipe for cupcakes – I just don’t put them in the oven for the right amount of time!

• Lori Lange replied: — September 3rd, 2010 @ 4:21 PM

@Gwen, Go to the link provided within the post to see the actual recipe & print it out.

Gwen — September 4, 2010 @ 3:35 PM

Oh, I didn’t even see that – thank you! Excited to try these.

Mary's Pastry Lab — January 6, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

ahhh absolutely loving the pink cake on the inside! very sweet looking.

Kawana Wright — September 10, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

Just wanted to say, this was delicious. I made a 10″ squared layer cake. Loved it!

Ckby15305 — January 16, 2013 @ 1:19 PM

One thing I hate about finding recipes on these cooking blogs is that 99% of the comments are something along the lines of “oh my goodness, I can’t wait to try those, they look so gorgeous!” Which does those of us who are searching for tried and true recipes absolutely zero good. So I thought I would be the one person who actually made these cupcakes and frosting to speak up, and I only wish I had rosy things to say about them. They aren’t the worst things I’ve ever made, but what I ended up with do not match the gushing description given at the top of the page, and at no point in the process did my batter or finished product look anything like the author’s. I am an avid cupcake baker and I am notoriously anal about following recipes precisely. So of course it could be operator error, but this is one of the few cupcake recipes I’ve tried that had pretty much flopped. The texture of the cake was ok, but only very slightly pink (and that was with 2 toothpick’s worth of Wilton red gel) and hardly any strawberry flavor at all. The frosting tastes of nothing but powdered sugar and butter. So very disappointed, as this was not cheap to make…and my search for a go-to from scratch strawberry cupcake recipe continues.