Butternut Squash Risotto with Rosemary & Blue Cheese

There are hedges upon hedges of rosemary growing wildly in our backyard. It competes with thyme, lavender and mint growing nearby, but its scent almost always takes the lead in our hot, dry air. I’ve learned to love it and use it often in the kitchen. It’s wonderful in cookies, cakes and breads, but I use it most often in savory dishes.  My most recent use of this delicious herb: Butternut Squash, Rosemary and Blue Cheese Risotto.

My husband is one of those who shrugs off simplistic dinners that don’t have meat as the focal point of the dinner. I sometimes just serve up soup or a hearty salad, and then I get that lookthat question from my darling dear… “Okay… but what’s the main course?” My explanation quite often centers around the fact that what I’m serving is perfectly filling and appropriate for dinner. But I know I’m wrong when I hear rummaging in the pantry not long after dinner is over.

This was not one of those nights. The dish pictured here was perfectly filling… full of butternut squash and spinach mixed into a very creamy risotto and topped with a sprinkle of blue cheese and rosemary.

No rummaging in the pantry tonight. In fact, my husband raved and even saved some of his risotto for tomorrow’s lunch. I loved it too- a nice recipe for fall. (And a perfect way to utilize some of that much-loved herb that is taking over our backyard).

This recipe can be found here:  Butternut Squash, Rosemary and Blue Cheese Risotto

27 Responses to “Butternut Squash Risotto with Rosemary & Blue Cheese”

Louise — September 26, 2009 @ 5:43 AM

Hedges upon hedges of rosemary growing! You lucky girl. I LOVE Rosemary plants. I just had to take my lavender plants inside to protect them from the evening chills.

You have such a way of infusing a melody of scents and textures. This recipe is going in my list of “someday, I’m gonna make that!” Thanks so much for sharing, Lori AND, Happy Johnny Appleseed Day!!!

pamela — September 26, 2009 @ 6:21 AM

This looks so delicious and I love rosemary. Blue cheese is a big favorite of mine, too. Not my hubs, though. I would love to try this when he won’t be home for dinner. Gorgeous pictures!

Ciaochowlinda — September 26, 2009 @ 8:17 AM

That looks like one scrumptious dish – and your talent with photography really comes shining through here.

Sues — September 26, 2009 @ 2:38 PM

This looks amazing!! I’ve made butternut squash risotto before, but never before with blue cheese. And I think that’s the best idea ever!

Kerstin — September 26, 2009 @ 7:39 PM

I wouldn’t have thought to pair blue cheese with the squash, but it sounds delicious! My hubby is the same way when it comes to dinners without meat.

VeggieGirl — September 27, 2009 @ 2:55 AM

I just posted a recipe using butternut squash as well :)

Amanda — September 27, 2009 @ 6:06 AM

That’s beautiful Lori, your photos are phenomenal

Tracy — September 27, 2009 @ 2:07 PM

HEDGES of rosemary? I’m so jealous! I can barely get a good-sized plant before winter hits!

Jada — September 27, 2009 @ 2:55 PM

The addition of the blue cheese is an interesting one, I’ll have to try it!

ABowlOfMush — September 28, 2009 @ 5:47 AM

I just bought a squash, I think I might have to make this now! I can almost smell it!

chocolate shavings — September 28, 2009 @ 6:03 AM

Now that looks amazing!

Barbara — September 28, 2009 @ 6:04 AM

A super risotto recipe! Aren’t you lucky to have a garden full of rosemary?

HoneyB — September 28, 2009 @ 6:57 AM

Looks and sounds delicious!

Phoo-D — September 28, 2009 @ 7:05 AM

Beautiful photos Lori! I know just what you mean about getting a “look” when there is no meat for dinner! This sounds absolutely delicious.

Chuck — September 28, 2009 @ 8:56 AM

Lori, this risotto looks amazing. I love the photos and the recipe. I bet Gordon Ramsay from “Hell’s Kitchen ” wouldn’t throw this in the garbage and start swearing lol. Good job, I think you could replace a few of those cooks on that show. Wonderful Lori!!

Elizabeth — September 28, 2009 @ 9:09 AM

MMMmmm, I love rosemary. That risotto looks divine Lori! So warm and comforting and a perfect blend of fall flavours. I hate to admit this, but killed our rosemary! Also, our grocery store doesn’t carry any fresh! I’d love to make this though.

Dana — September 28, 2009 @ 4:22 PM

That looks about 1 millions times better than the special vegetarian risotto they served us at Blogher. :) I love all of those flavors and together they are dynamite!

Katrina — September 28, 2009 @ 5:37 PM

Did you make risotto because Rocco said it’s his favorite food! hehe. It looks delish!
    So good to meet you!

Janet — September 28, 2009 @ 10:56 PM

Now this is speaking my language!! And your pics- well, they are divine!!

southern hostess — September 29, 2009 @ 6:42 AM

What perfect flavors! This looks delicious.

Christina — September 29, 2009 @ 5:18 PM

This may be a dumb question but you add the squash after you’ve cooked it right? Or is it raw and it cooks along with the rice?

• Lori Lange replied: — September 29th, 2009 @ 6:03 PM

Hi Christina, No- go ahead and add the raw squash. It will cook right along with the risotto!

patsyk — September 30, 2009 @ 3:29 PM

I’ve heard that rummaging in the kitchen after dinner a few times as well… I can get by with a hearty salad and soup, but the hubby often needs chicken or soemthing else along with it.

Peter — October 1, 2009 @ 6:08 AM

Oh Yum! This autumn in a bowl…great pics and definitely making me hungry!

Sam@BingeNYC — October 6, 2009 @ 9:59 AM

Your recipe shares the same flavor combo as my favorite appetizer at my favorite restaurant!!! Must make this asap, looks fantastic!

Kevin — October 6, 2009 @ 4:53 PM

Sweet butternut squash goes so well with tangy blue cheese!

Tina — September 27, 2010 @ 8:30 PM

Just made this tonight! It was very tasty! The blue cheese added that extra kick. I will definitely add this to my regulars but I would eliminate the whipping cream. I don’t think it needs it with the richness of the parm. cheese and the blue cheese at the end! I added cod as my protein to this fabulous side – though this could be a meal in itself.