Ten in ’10 Healthy Challenge: Week 1

Ten in Ten470
D-day is finally here- the Ten in ’10 Healthy Challenge now begins!  I’m absolutely thrilled with the response we’ve gotten to the challenge.  It’s terrific that so many people are interested in making a positive, healthy change in their lives.  I feel like we’re all in this together, and will support each other and keep each other motivated and excited to keep on track.  If you’re new here and you’re not familiar with the details of this challenge, read up on this post and email me if you’d like to join in on the challenge- it’s not too late- you can begin whenever you’d like.  Here’s a peek at the participant list (290+ people and growing, with 39 states and 11 countries represented)!

I actually started my healthy challenge yesterday, figuring that Friday will be a good day to weigh in… before the weekend & possible slip-ups happen.  It was a good first day- I started off with an egg white omelette filled with sauteed vegetables.  I even got in a workout at the gym- 30 minutes on the elliptical machine, did some strength exercises & ab crunches and then transitioned outside to do a bit of running and tossing the football with my family.  It felt good to be moving again.

The holidays just killed me this year… too many cookies and too much wine & other indulgences.  I feel much like a pudgy piglet, and I’m so ready for cleansing my body and getting thin and fit again.  At the beginning of 2009, I entered a Biggest Loser challenge at my gym.  I was motivated and driven to win, and I did.  I kept the weight off and managed good workouts until we went on a long summer vacation, where happy hour is more fun to partake in than working out.  I feel pretty cruddy about that slip, but of course I intend to make sure that things are different this year.  It’s time that I think about my health and how I want to stay young and fit enough to live an active life with my family.  I’d also like to feel better about myself… because when Momma feels fit and trim, Momma is in a much better mood and is more fun to be around.

I plan to write everything down.  I like to chart my exercise on a calendar and then add up my exercise totals at the end of each week.  For some reason that gives me incentive to try and out-do myself each week.  As a result, my workouts continue to get better as the weeks pass.  I’m planning menus in advance because there’s nothing worse than lunch or dinner rolling around and being starving without having something ready to eat.  That’s a sure pantry/fridge-raiding disaster just waiting to happen.  Everything that goes into my mouth will be written down in a food journal.

I had a conversation with my neighbor the other day- he’s a tall, very thin and fit guy who recently lost 35 pounds.  He says he feels fantastic.  I asked him how he is managing to keep it off.  His explanation was that there are 35 pounds that he doesn’t have to feed anymore, so he’s able to eat smaller portions.  I like that way of looking at things- it’s just a matter of getting used to the smaller portions, I guess.

Fit tip of the week: Ab crunches done on a stability ball are 50% more effective than doing them on the floor.
Diet tip of the week: A can of soda contains 12 teaspoons of sugar- more than a candy bar.  Gross.
Health tip of the week: Take advantage of your local park or walking trail and you may add years to your life.  A recent study of over 3,000 older adults found that those with the most access to nature were more likely to add 5 years to their lifespans.  Nature acts as a buffer against life’s stressful events. (Health, 2008)

Here are my goals- which I intend to extend beyond the 10 week challenge:
lose weight- goal of 15-20 lbs. in 10 weeks, and then more after that.
*exercise 6 days/wk. trying to get in at least 1 to 1 ½ hours per day, when possible
*work up to at least 150 ab crunches & strength/arm training each day
*drink a lot more water
*eat meals with higher protein + lots of veggies
*not do any mindless emotional eating & don’t eat in front of the computer
*prepare healthier meals for my family
*When recipe testing, I’ll give myself permission to have a small taste for testing purposes only.  No scarfing down the goods!
*work on improving my sleeping habits
*train for 5K & 10K too

Rules for myself- I will:
*make myself work out- even when I don’t want to
*be allowed one night/wk where I can drink two glasses of wine
*focus on eating smaller portions
*start my day w/ something filling:  egg white omelette or oatmeal
*make a cup of tea when I feel like munching
*sit down to eat my meals- relax & enjoy
*only weigh myself on Friday mornings (put scale away during the week)
*visit Farmer’s Markets as much as possible to look for fresh fruits/veg
*do less baking, and the baking that I do will mostly focus on whole grains
*allow myself to enjoy my upcoming vacation, making sure that I watch my intake of the avoidance foods below & exercising like crazy to compensate.

Foods to avoid:
*anything fried
*white flour/white rice/white potato/white pasta
*processed/packaged foods
*during-the-week wine
*excessive cheese intake
*desserts

I’ll continue to post healthy updates on Saturdays only- where I’ll share links to recipes I’ve tried, healthy tips and personal experiences.  During the week, I’ll post as usual on Mondays and Thursdays- a mix of healthy recipes and my usual goodies.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE… WE CAN DO THIS :)

33 Responses to “Ten in ’10 Healthy Challenge: Week 1”

Esther — January 2, 2010 @ 1:59 AM

I have put up a post with 5 goals on my blog and thanks very much for suggesting sparkpeople it is a very helpful resource!

Vee — January 2, 2010 @ 2:34 AM

Good luck! Looking forward to following your challenge, starting mine tomorrow. Happy New Year.

Sarah, MaisonCupcake — January 2, 2010 @ 3:45 AM

Thank you Lori for kicking this off, I am feeling very inspired and motivated to succeed this time. That tip about planning meals in advance is excellent as I know exactly what you mean about being starving hungry and grabbing whatever. Fatal!

Michelle — January 2, 2010 @ 4:56 AM

Totally looking forward to your healthy recipes.

Meghan — January 2, 2010 @ 6:55 AM

Excited to get started!

Rhonda Bruno — January 2, 2010 @ 7:12 AM

Weigh-in 1/2/10 164.6 (way too much for my 4’10″ frame)

Dorothy — January 2, 2010 @ 7:16 AM

Good luck! Thanks SO much for running this challenge; it’s so encouraging to know that I won’t be alone these 10 weeks. My gym buddy bailed on me two months ago :(

Leelee — January 2, 2010 @ 7:21 AM

This is an exciting day…I have found in the past that (if you can stick to it) 21 days in a row make something a habit…I have actually done this recently (cooking a healthy breakfast for my kids before school and talking with them about their day while they eat–once my son started driving them all)

I have made a sticky note on my homepage with my goals and some from y’all that sounded great…I am consciously adding bananas, kiwi, pineapple and tomatoes to my diet…read about seritonin and women’s health…its pretty interesting! Good luck everyone!

VeggieGirl — January 2, 2010 @ 7:50 AM

Good luck and you know I’m totally on for the challenge as well! :)

megan — January 2, 2010 @ 8:31 AM

Great goals and rules, Lori. I’m jumping on board today. Cleaning out the fridge and going shopping for good food. Planning my food is the key for me. And writing it down is so helpful! Here’s to 2010!
    Good wishes to everyone!

Mimi — January 2, 2010 @ 8:46 AM

Lori,
    Thanks for the tips and encourgement.
    Mimi

maria — January 2, 2010 @ 9:03 AM

Great post Lori. Thanks again for starting this challenge. I am so excite. We can all help each other meet our goals. I love your list. I know you can do it! This will be fun!

food librarian — January 2, 2010 @ 9:12 AM

Thanks Lori for keeping us organized and motivated! Happy New Year! – mary

glutenfreeforgood — January 2, 2010 @ 9:15 AM

Lori — I “hear” you on this one. I’ve got some post-holiday excess to get rid of as well! I’m on the same wellness journey. Wishing you peace, love and lots of exercise and good food in 2010.
    Melissa

Mary Ann — January 2, 2010 @ 11:12 AM

Thanks for starting this whole thing! I feel destined for success just because so many people are participating. I started yesterday too and I already feel great about the coming year. Good luck on all your goals!

LilSis — January 2, 2010 @ 11:19 AM

Thanks for starting this challenge, Lori. I think it’s going to be a great support system and motivation for all of us who are trying to start the year off with some healthy changes.

I’m still a little afraid to get on the scale, but am doing it today. Starting next week, I’m going to weigh in every Friday morning, since on the weekend, I’ll allow a few “weekend rules”. I’m excited to get started!

darryn — January 2, 2010 @ 1:06 PM

That sounds great! It’s awesome that your goals are laid out so clearly and that you have put in smaller goals/objectives to help get you there. I’m doing the same kind of thing for myself.

I just have one thought – 1 1/2 hours of exercise 6 days/week is a lot! I’m not a nutritionist, but I used to exercise in excess (like 1.5-2+hours/day) and I did a lot of reading that suggested keeping workouts to under an hour. Firstly because it’s hard on your body, secondly because it might make you *more* hungry to be doing that much exercise, and finally because it’s very difficult to sustain that amount of exercise over the long term. I think one thing I read said that people with workouts that last 30 min – 1 hr are those who stick with them the most.

Anyway, I think you are doing a great job – I just know I’ve made those kinds of ambitious daily exercise goals before, and in the end did not end up seeing the results I wanted, and only hurt my body (I was out with a couple running injuries, and always had sore muscles).

All the best!

Darryn

• Lori Lange replied: — January 2nd, 2010 @ 1:24 PM

Darryn- I’ll be careful w/ the extreme workouts. The 1 1/2 hours includes walking to & from the gym. thanks for the info!

Aggie — January 2, 2010 @ 1:12 PM

I can so relate to a lot of what you wrote! I just recently lost 20 lbs and have felt GREAT until the last week. I feel cruddy right now. I’m spending today drinking lots of water and eating very healthy, in hopes it will kick start the rest of the week. The first couple of days of eating clean are always hard for me but then it gets so much easier and feels so good! I’ll be keeping up with you…good luck with your goals and happy new year to you Lori!!

Kathy Jones — January 2, 2010 @ 2:14 PM

Yes, I am on board. I made healthy dishes for the holidays and began this approx 4 weeks ago. I already feel better and want to continue. My goal is 10 lbs and blood sugar less than 95. I am going to work out 4-5 x/week.
    Thanks for your positive re-inforcement and great tips!

Adam — January 2, 2010 @ 4:12 PM

I pretty much LOVE your rules and ‘avoid’ category, Lori. I think you have set yourself up perfectly for success. With stuff like this, the diet and exercise is on autopilot :)

Looking forward to how it’s going. Protein and veggies are your best buddy, remember :)

Lazzy — January 2, 2010 @ 5:02 PM

Great Start! I’m hoping to use most of your goals. This morning I went to a pilates class and walked the dog. Started my healthy eating with a nonfat smoothie, which is my key to loosing weight! It’s filled with protein and very filling. I use the Fage 0% yogurt, frozen berries, milk or OJ and some sweetener. Hoping to convert fat to lean muscle!

Misty — January 2, 2010 @ 6:32 PM

these are really great goals! I feel like I skimped on the details in my post…

Cheryl — January 2, 2010 @ 7:08 PM

Sparkpeople has been a great source to track my food intake – thanks!!

Lisa @ Stop Eating All The Chocolates — January 2, 2010 @ 9:01 PM

Great goals! So glad you’re doing this! Wrote my post today and now I feel official since my goals/plans are in writing. I’m starting tomorrow – must stay on track! :)

Impromptu Diva — January 3, 2010 @ 1:53 AM

I should take this healthy challenge with you… I am always good at starting but oh well fail in the end. I lost 25 when I started in August but in October up to this day, have gained it all back… well with a food blog, and the holidays? but ok , i know they are excuses, excuses… time to re-program myself again!

Renee — January 3, 2010 @ 4:29 AM

Loved your post Lori. I especially loved what your neighbor said about not having that extra 35 lbs. to feed. An eye opener for sure. About 6 years ago, I lost 45 lbs. and slowly over these past 6 year I put them all back on, even though I vowed I never would. Losing weight is so hard, but keeping it off is even harder. I’m sure the #10 in 10 will help when it comes to maintaining our goal weight too (when we reach it).

Lori — January 3, 2010 @ 6:50 AM

Looks like you are good to go with all your goals in order. You’ll do great! It was a good first day for me too. I had my first so-called long run. Only 4 miles right now, but it was tough considering I haven’t run that distance in over 4 months. It’s only going to get better from here though. Hope everyone has a healthy week!!

glutenfreeforgood — January 3, 2010 @ 7:04 AM

Great perspective with very reasonable goals! I’m on the same bandwagon. Good luck to everyone!
    Melissa

Jamie — January 3, 2010 @ 4:45 PM

Great goals! I am so excited to be a part of this challenge and look forward to all of our healthy creations! Best of luck and thanks so much for organizing such an inspiring group!

Gera @ SweetsFoods — January 4, 2010 @ 12:30 PM

Healthy and great goals Lori!
    Good luck to everyone :)

A Healthy post is coming from me and I’ll including it here.

Cheers,

Gera

The Duo Dishes — January 6, 2010 @ 8:07 PM

Looking forward to everyone’s success and the continued support throughout the weeks. Thanks for starting this!

kim — January 9, 2010 @ 7:45 PM

Can I recommend a recipe? These are AMAZING! I make it at least one month.

(definitely get the bibb lettuce)